#1 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 361 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 12:58 PM

Im thinking of adding a gas motor to a old compressor i have.

I need to know what all i need to achieve what i want to do

This motor is a 3HP

31925431916_1547009e41_k.jpg

And i want it on this compressor

31814546112_63bc0c7d52_k.jpg  

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 01:12 PM

they do make gas powered compressors, so it is possible. I have never worked on one and I dont know how they are set up. I would think you would need some kind of belt clutch or a way to unload the compressor to start it. The first time you try to start it with pressure in the tank, you may bust the starter rope, punch yourself in the face and teach the dog some new cuss words all at the same time

• KennyP and dogsoldier have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,191 Thanks
  • 43,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 01:24 PM

I have a gas powered compressor. You need an unloader valve and the throttle set up to bring it up to speed when filling the tank. Here's a pic with these parts marked in red.

Sears gas compressor.jpg

I can go out and take a pic if needed.

• MH81, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 01:36 PM

A simple "T'" in the pressure line with a ball valve vent would be the cheap and easy way. You will need a good check valve at the tank too.

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 361 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Something like this then ?

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

• Bruce Dorsi and KennyP have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,191 Thanks
  • 43,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Something like this then ?

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

That looks like it will work. 

• dogsoldier said thank you

#7 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 361 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Kenny

Wish we carried them at Tractor Supply 

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,191 Thanks
  • 43,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Have you got gas compressors there? Look it over.

#9 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 361 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 03:09 PM

I would have to find someone that has one and look at it 

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,566 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Bought an old homemade air compressor tank with pump several years ago @ auction without an engine for $10.  I believe it was gas powered before.   Mainly needed something to drag out back and air up tires on the old cars, trucks, and tractors.  Had this Reo reel mower engine that ran the best and needed something to do so that's what I bolted on.

Didn't want to invest any money in it as its not going to be used that much.  Since I didn't have an unloader valve for the pump,  I'd always roll the V-belt off and start the engine to warm it up some.  Then shut down and roll the belt back on and restart the warmed up engine without any trouble. 

Now that I have a Dewalt cordless drill,  I can spin it fast enough that it doesn't care if the pump is already loaded, or if the engine is cold.  The Dewalt impact wouldn't roll the engine over the compression stroke but the drill will on the high speed setting. 

Mounted the whole thing on a lay-down style 2 wheeler cart that came from the city dump so its mobile and clamped it on the cart with stainless steel hose clamps.  At first, I thought I'd gear it down some but the 3 horse really starts laboring just before the pop off valve lets go.  Kind of a good safety feature so I just left it as it was.  No more than I use it I'm always afraid the pop off valve won't pop when its supposed to from sitting around.  Pop-off is adjusted to let go @ 90 LBS and I keep an eye on the gauge until the pop-off cycles once.

My setup probably turns the pump a little faster than it should.  :smilewink:

Just be sure to use a pop-off valve so pressure doesn't get too high in the tank.

Compressor.jpg

EDIT:  Those of you looking at the pulleys and my "gearing" thinking that won't work need to remember that the Reo engines PTO runs off the camshaft not the crankshaft so its only turning 1/2 speed.

Edited by Gtractor, December 29, 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#11 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 03:35 PM

I mounted an air governor like is used on 18 wheeler compressors for the one just like you have. I have the compressor mounted on my Hobart Wisconsin powered welder. I had the old motor pulley bored to fit on the crankshaft of the Wisconsin since it has a stub for the handcrank, which I don't need to use. The compressor runs at about 2/3's of rated speed but it furnishes plenty of air for my needlegun and air chipper. The Hobart doesn't have auto idle so it runs at full speed to weld and I have to manually slow it down  for AC power. If you go with the unloader you'll also need the air servo to slow the engine down via the throttle linkage.

If your electric motor was like mine running at 3600 RPM and you want the compressor running at full speed and the compressor pulley is serpentine grooved, good luck finding a pulley to fit the the engine shaft. I searched all over for a larger pulley and no luck.  The Wisconsin only runs at 2300 RPM for welding speed. You could run your engine at 3600 RPM and with the electric motor pulley bored to fit the engine shaft. Without a keyway I just drilled a countersink in the crankshaft for the pulley setscrew to seat in and it hasn't come loose yet. BTW the air governor is a lot cheaper than the unloader. It goes up to 125psi and starts dumping air.

Mike

#12 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 906 Thanks
  • 609 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Put this together 20+ years ago,was going to put a pop off on it but desided I liked The extra h.p. in my impact,I just shut it off when not using,this thing lives out side and is so simple it never quits,because it is abused that is the 3rd rewind though,the other pics with Honda's are In case you want to do a better job than me(safer)and show what's out there

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161229_150903.jpg
  • 20161229_150945.jpg
  • 20161229_151055.jpg
  • 20161229_151435.jpg

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 2,411 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 08:07 PM

A simple "T'" in the pressure line with a ball valve vent would be the cheap and easy way. You will need a good check valve at the tank too.

That will work to unload the compressor before starting, but will not limit the tank pressure or prevent the engine from stalling when the pressure builds too much.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 10:08 PM

A slightly loose belt will work for that. It will slip when the pressure gets too high. I ran a small electric that way for years. I finally got around to putting on a $20 pressure switch to fix that. you could install the same type switch to kill the engine when pressure gets high.