DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 03:40 PM

This is my neighbors 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee, he got the tractor years ago never used it much because it never ran right. 2 years ago I brought it home and patched it up to get it to run, cleaned out fuel tank and carb with lacquer thinner, new fuel lines+filter. Also had the rad repaired to stop the leaks. We power washed and cleaned to paint it. Found that 1 rear tire and rim was new, the other rear tire old and loaded with calcium. I think if 1 rear tire is loaded the other should be to, I drained the loaded tire and we used it with no extra weight. We used it that year as a grass cutter for the horse fields but it was always a problem. The motor burned 1 liter of oil every 1 1/2 hrs, motor would start to loose oil pressure when the level got down to add mark, would overheat if pushed too hard, the belts on the mower deck only lasted 3hrs because the exhaust went under the tractor and blew on the mower deck. This thing would smoke from everywhere out the tail pipe and the breathers.
Last year tore the engine apart and fixed everything, has the 134 cid. engine, had standard size pistons and bearings in it. Bought a full engine kit so called (super power kit) came with 3 1/2" sleeves (65 thou. bigger than standard) pistons, rings, bearings, seals, gaskets everything except valve train. Crank was in really good shape used 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly) thou. oversize bearings and all clearances in spec, main and con rod. Sent the head out and had new valves guides, whatever it needed to put in like new condition. Getting the sleeves out was no fun ended up turning the block upside down, made a tool to punch out the sleeves, put a block of wood on top of the tool and hit it with 10lb sledge hammer.
Got it all back together had to replace the manifold used a new 1962 manifold for the 172 engine with a new 172 carb. Exhaust is 2" (orig. 1 5/8) used a 2" universal reveres flow cherry bomb muffler with vertical stack, it's nice and quiet. Put a spin on oil filter kit uses Fram PH8A filter. Had be previously converted to 12 volt and gave it a new battery.
When working on it found no thermostat in it and the bottom of the oil pan had been pushed up (hit something) which bent the oil pick up and that's why it would loose oil pressure.
It now runs great noticeable more power with no smoke and mower deck belts have 1yr use on them and in good shape. This motor is so quiet, hits every time and can idle down around 250RPM. I must of done this one right.
As for a grass or field cutter it works good, this year we want to get a 5ft. flail mower and or a 6ft. finishing mower rear discharge. Only thing I don't like is the stack, hits trees, I'd like to have the exhaust come out the side go forward 45 deg. angle.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jubile 001..jpg
  • Jubile 002..jpg
  • Jubile 003..jpg

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 04:18 PM

Doug, that is a great looking Ford! Thanks for sharing the pictures. You did a wonderful job!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 05:00 PM

That's a nice looking ford.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:53 AM

Looks good. you did a good job on it.

Dad has Grandpa's 53 jubille. Its in need of some work, but runs great. A month ago when I was blading my drive the 3pt stopped working. It had pumped all the hydro oil into the engine oil.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 02:47 PM

Awesome job, and thanks for the pictures!!! :thumbs:

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 09:56 AM

Great job on all the work you put in to that Jubilee Doug. It looks great too :thumbs:

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 08:24 PM

Been using this more and more this year for grass cutting than ever, still runs good, burns no oil and nice and quiet. Need to cut down the stack 12", just a little to high and some turf tires would be nice, for field cutting no problems but on a nice lawn too many tire marks, it's the only thing I don't like about it.
Still running the same mower deck with the same belts form last year. The mower deck hangs form chains at the front replaced them with a set of stay straps, chains broke so thought we'd try the stay straps, looks stronger time will tell.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:54 AM

Yes a big set of turf tires would be perfect on that.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Update

Started using this tractor again this today for grass cutting duties, I don't like the mower deck that is on it, find that it doesn't follow the terrain well but it easily out powers everything else I have or use for grass cutting. The tougher the conditions the more the difference, like cutting long, heavy, wet grass while going up hill, there's no comparison against the garden tractors or the 3 wheeler for cutting power.

The only disadvantages are.
The height of the tractor, sometimes it's hard to get under tree branches.
Maneuverability, though with the individual wheel brakes it turns pretty tight for it's size, you can almost pivot around on the inside rear wheel.
Tire marks in the grass, mostly from tight turns and both front and rear tires leave marks.

Being searching for a better mower deck for it, was looking for a 72" Finish mower rear discharge or a 60" Flail mower. Found a Flail mower that was within the budget, it's a little rough looking but all the bearings, belts, gear box, roller seem OK, all the blades are there and it came with some spares.
Going to try it tomorrow if I can get away from my friends green house operation. Only used a Flail mower once before so this will be another learning experience for me. I use this tractor for lawn and some field cutting so I'm hoping the Flail does both good, so it can take over as my main grass cutter.

Next I want to get some turf tires without spending a fortune, for the tractor and try to minimize the tire marks.

Computer connection is bad tonite, it has taken 45 minutes to upload this 1 post with no pictures.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Doug, looking forward to your flail mower report.
Nice job on the Ford BTW.

On the tires, budget in a replacement rim. The one that had the CaCl in it will go faster once the tire's off.
Also watch it the first few times with the turfs, the tractor will loose traction a little faster and handle different,

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 08:50 AM

I had the same problem with the exhaust on my 850 Ford and came up with a simple, cheap and quiet solution. I'll try and get picture for you tomorrow.
Nice work on the tractor. Should last you a lifetime.

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I had the same problem with the exhaust on my 850 Ford and came up with a simple, cheap and quiet solution. I'll try and get picture for you tomorrow.
Nice work on the tractor. Should last you a lifetime.

I choose the muffler because it's cheap, in stock at Canadian Tire and compact, it fit.

Doug, looking forward to your flail mower report.
Nice job on the Ford BTW.

On the tires, budget in a replacement rim. The one that had the CaCl in it will go faster once the tire's off.
Also watch it the first few times with the turfs, the tractor will loose traction a little faster and handle different,

Well mixed results today on the Flail mower.

The Good, it doesn't take a lot of power to run it less than the 60" finish mower I have for it, burns alot less fuel and it does cut the grass, but.

The Bad, does a lousy job of cutting the grass???

I have no manual for this thing I see height adjuster for the roller, the top link will change the angle and the cutting height also, I don't know how it's suppose to be setup??? That's the biggest problem.
Also the blades are not new and worn, looks like you can reverse them to get the other side on the leading edge. These are Y blades that are on it and I don't know what kind of cut there made for.
I think it will work better if I reverse them and replace the broken, bent ones.

Anybody have a manual for a Ford 917L Flail mower? Or can tell me how to set this thing up and what type of blades cut what type of grass.

#13 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ya know it's amazing sometimes what you can find on line, the mower came with spare blades, I searched the part# of the blades and found that they are the right ones for the mower. Also found a parts books site for the Flail and Finish mower I have, both are Fords. 86509415

http://www.messicks.com/nh/1374.aspx

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Couple of photos of the muffler on my Ford. Sorry for the congestion as the loader is in the way but you should be able to get the general idea. Actually broke the manifold when I caught the upright muffler on something. Not a problem now. Does a good job of keeping the muffler out of the way and the noise pointed away from the operator.

Elevator 006.JPG

Elevator 007.JPG

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 02:58 PM

Nice Tractor!! I see your looking for a flail and a finish mower? My dad had a Flail on a 310 Case when I was in my teens.
A flail in my opinions biggest advantage is that it will function very well for both finish and rough mowing.
Second big advantage is if you hit something it does not sail like it will if hit with a rotary mower.
Much safer in my opinion.