Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hello - new PK owner and first time poster.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Forester45 OFFLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 85105
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and thank you for all of the information I have already gleaned from this site.  Backstory - purchased a small piece of property a few months ago and started researching tractors.  Ended up buying a new Kubota for daily chores but read up on the Power Kings and always wanted to redo "something" with an engine.  So here I am a few months later with two PKs and looking about every evening for information on the ones I have and others that need to be rescued. My wife is curious why we now have 3 tractors (two of which do not run) and why I had to go somewhere on Christmas Eve to pick up the last one.  Go figure - I do not think she understands but says they are cheaper than old cars so have at it - she is a keeper!

The first one I picked up was a 1978 with one transmission, hydraulics, true 3 point, mower deck, and a few other attachments. The last one is a 1970 version with hydraulics and mower deck but nothing else.  I have about $800 in both - so not bad considering these are pretty hard to find in East Texas.  Neither currently runs and restoration will not start until next summer due current house restoration.  I will then be needing a lot of help.  Again, thanks for the information already gleaned and the future information I will be needing.  

DSCN5296.JPG DSCN5137.JPG

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,151 Thanks
  • 44,151 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 05:28 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice PK's. Hope the folks here can get you ready to restore them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,851 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy our site. Download the manuals that you need from our Manuals Section(3 free per day). Include pics when asking questions. Make one of the tractors, hers. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 28, 2016 - 05:31 PM.

• grnspot110 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,282 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Welcome aboard, the more the merrier!

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,041 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Nice tractors, My wife doesn't understand why we have 7 tractors either. The last being a Sears 18/6 I picked up when we were on our way to get her blood pressure checked after she had been taken off the medication. I told her it was a stress test, if that didn't raise her pressure she was good to go. Blood pressure was still normal.  When you go to look at a PK and come home with it and the AC that was sitting behind it you know you are hooked.  Don.

• grnspot110 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,627 Thanks
  • 2,639 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to this site...glad u found it.  bunch of great tractorholics here, me included. 

Wish I had a p k...you got real lucky and found 2!

#7 case442 OFFLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 691 Thanks
  • 422 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 09:19 PM

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking PK's. I've had a few of them myself. They are stout Little tractors and the parts availability is good. Looks as though the 1970 has a reman engine in it. What hp are they? Looks to be 1614's from the photos. Again great find on the PK's.

Mike
  • KBuzz and Forester45 have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,441 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 06:26 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!   I have a 1968 Jim Dandy and a 1976 ( ?)  Power King and have had them for years , good easy to up-keep machines . I wish my tin was as nice as your tractors :worshippy1:   Keep us posted as you work on them

#9 Forester45 OFFLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the welcomes!

Case442 - I was wondering if the 1970 engine was original.  I looked online for pictures and saw several of that era that had grey painted engines.  Did not know if some came that way or what.  They are both 1614s from what I can tell.  Still learning though.  

Will eventually like to find some older ones to play with but will work on these two first. 

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,755 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 11:42 AM

Nice starters, think they should run with little tinkering I bet. I was thinking grey engine a newer one too, they came grey many times. You have neat seat with back-rest, a little rarer for that.  Older hydraulics on that one.  I would have to whack off all that extra metal hanging off the front axle, ewww!  Maybe he had implements mounted?  That is not orig set-up for sure. Check out other postings here and see how others have worked on theirs over the years. Get lots of info before starting. Parts books are the most seen, not much on actual repair info. 

#11 Forester45 OFFLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 02:15 PM

Yes - the 70 came from a dairy farmer who said he used it to push cattle feed around and he built a make shift plow on the front.  Planning on grinding all of that off.  Mower deck that came with it was in really good shape but said he took off the rear "3 point" and was not sure where he put it.  I will have to find one of those later.  

So the grey painted engine was not original?  Probably good because from what the PO told me - he had it worked on several times - may need to be replaced and would hate to do that to an original engine.

#12 Blankstaircase OFFLINE  

Blankstaircase
  • Member No: 85534
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hello, and happy new year.
New to this forum, I bought a 92' powerking 1620 last fall.
It's a really nice tractor. Has a loader, 3 point, 60' deck.
Just thought I'd say hello from Kalamazoo, and thank everyone for the great info on this forum.
Thanks,
B.

#13 Blankstaircase OFFLINE  

Blankstaircase
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 02:28 PM

Sorry, hit wrong button, didn't realize I was posting on your thread. I apologize

#14 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 680 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 03:41 PM

Sorry, hit wrong button, didn't realize I was posting on your thread. I apologize

howdy,I'm usually hitting wrong buttons as much as not lol,their is a member intro thread on the forum's menu,go to shed,them PK's are cool tractors,have pieces of a Jim dandy myself,just ask if you need ANYTHING,lots of answers
  • Blankstaircase said thank you

#15 Blankstaircase OFFLINE  

Blankstaircase
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thnx Jimmy