• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wccbr OFFLINE  

wccbr

• Member No: 3854
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:13 PM

I could've sworn I submitted this thread already, but I cannot find any sign of it, so I'll do it again!

My JD LX178 wouldn't start when I took it out of storage from the garage this week. Dead battery is no surprise, so I pulled out my booster pack and started the mower up without any problems. When I removed the booster pack from the battery, the engine would immediately stall, so I figured the new battery I had installed last year was already totally dead. I drove it a few hundred feet over to the barn to hook it up to a battery charger and get ready to mount the deck. After around 7 hours charging, the battery still wouldn't start the mower, but I wasn't terribly surprised, the charger is very old and only marginally reliable. I replaced the battery with one from our trailer and we were able to get the mower started. The odd part is that when I release the brake after starting the engine, it will immediately stall. Is this due to a brake safety switch or something? It seems odd that it should stall when the brake is released, even though the PTO is not engaged.
I am no small engine mechanic, but with some pretty pictures and a good description, I can get most jobs done. Please if anyone has some troubleshooting advice or knows what is causing my problem, let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Wayne

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'm not familiar with that particular model. A couple of things come to mind. I would check the belt drive to the hydro. If I recall correctly on some of the JD lx's when the brake is depressed the belt is loosened on the hydro drive. In that case the power from the engine is applied to the hydro when the brake is released. It could be a problem with the hydro belt or the hydro itself. It could also be that your engine is running poorly and is stalling when a load is placed on it. Make sure you have fresh gas in it after sitting in storage. I'd drain the tank and fuel line and start out with fresh fuel. I wouldn't discount an electrical problem of some kind. It could be the safety switch if it is damaged or out of adjustment. I'd just give the machine a quick once over to look for anything obvious. I hope this is of some help.

Edited by olcowhand, June 03, 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:59 PM

What Brian said sounds right about a safety switch , my neighbor's newer JD needs to have the parking brake ON or it will stall when you get off the seat. Al

#4 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:55 PM

THat is correct the parking brake must bo on or the engine will kill when you leave the seat

#5 wccbr OFFLINE  

wccbr

• Member No: 3854
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Found the problem once I actually had time to look at it. It turns out that the seat safety wires had come loose.

Thanks to everyone for their input. :wave:

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Great news! glad you found it! and :wave: Welcome to GTTalk! Stop back and see us some time!