• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angus in Wyoming OFFLINE  

Angus in Wyoming
  • Member No: 85386
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the help with my other questions.  I feel badly that I seem to be controlling the questions for the time being.

Now my question.  I need to replace the belt on the starter generator.  It is looking rough and is either the wrong size or stretched out too much.  I run out of adjustment before it gets tight and I still get some slippage at times.

The drive line to the transaxle needs to come off so I can remove and replace the belt.  I have the four bolts taken out of each end of the driveline off but it won't slip apart.  Have any of you done this job?  Do I have to take the transaxle out to do this?

Thanks again for your help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Angus

#2 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 05:31 AM

If its a Simplicity made MW, there should be a collar that is set screwed to the Bevel Gear box, break loose the set screw and work collar back.(this is how you move the assemble on 7000 series, there may be a manual on this site for B models)

• boyscout862 and Angus in Wyoming have said thanks

#3 Angus in Wyoming OFFLINE  

Angus in Wyoming
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 08:48 AM

It is a Gilson.  There is a keyed collar on the transaxle end, but I cant get it to move.  I don't think it has moved in 45 years. 

#4 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,208 Thanks
  • 4,590 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 10:16 AM

It is a Gilson.  There is a keyed collar on the transaxle end, but I cant get it to move.  I don't think it has moved in 45 years. 

We have a 1970 GILSON S-14 H....I think it is the same tractor that you have.....

I did not have any luck moving the collar on the transaxle either, but we had the engine off for a complete restoration.

I wouldn't beat or pry on the collar, as it may damage something in the transmission.

You can remove four 3/8" bolts that hold the engine to the oil pan and move it forward, but then you will need a new oil pan gasket.

I can't give you any help for this issue, but if you come up with ideas, please share them!

Edited by KC9KAS, December 26, 2016 - 02:14 PM.

• Angus in Wyoming said thank you

#5 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 10:59 AM

Depending on size go with a link v-belt. Some places sale by foot.Just have to do some looking to find what will work for you. Being a straight in line pulleys should last a long time. They can be little pricey if sold in long sections. 

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,203 Thanks
  • 9,639 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 11:41 AM

As stated above, I would move the engine to get it on.

#7 Angus in Wyoming OFFLINE  

Angus in Wyoming
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Well gang I got the belt off.  I don't have an oil pan gasket and I can't seem to figure out how to order parts for my engine.  I guess I should use one of the site sponsors.

Instead I put jack stands under the axle, took off the u-bolts, one other mounting bolt, and disconnected the parking break arm and forward-reverse lever (at the transaxle).  I then jacked the frame about an inch from the axle and I was able to wiggle the drive shaft out.  Easy peasy.

When I go to town will try to find a replacement belt.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.

Angus

• KennyP said thank you