• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 207 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:13 PM

I am going to need to get some new tires for a couple of my garden tractors this year.  Some of the tires I am replacing are 30 to 40 years old, and I would like to get some quality replacements that will last. 

What manufacturers are still around that make good tires that will not rot out in 5 to 10 years?

Thanks,

Doug

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 1,252 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:30 PM

I like Tucker tire. Sometimes you can find a deal at small engine warehouse com

• Alc said thank you

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,378 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I have ordered from http://www.millertire.com/ Fast shipping and excellent selections.

• Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 1,252 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 07:46 PM

After re reading the first post, I cant recommend any tires that will last 40 years because I have not owned any that long yet. I am happy to buy 70,000 mile tire for my truck. They should last 7 years, no more than I drive it. I have yet to wear out a set of Gt tires I have bought in the last 10 years, so I am happy with that.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 11:03 PM

nothing made in recent years can be expected to last as long as the equivalent parts from 40 years ago.

• KC9KAS, karel, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#6 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,827 Thanks
  • 1,214 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 04:36 AM

Not much to choose from other than tires from chung king city.
  • dodge trucker and old coot have said thanks

#7 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 06:18 AM

I have got tires from summit racing in the past and was happy with them, Carlisle makes good tires, sometimes if you are lucky you can find nice good year tires on ebay.

Pete

• dodge trucker and old coot have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,970 Thanks
  • 9,525 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 06:40 AM

Carlisle and Firestone still make GT tires that are made in the US.

• ducky, Alc, WHdbJD and 3 others have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Carlisle and Firestone still make GT tires that are made in the US.

when you can find them that is..... most places local to me sell the stuff from Chung king city.

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 12:41 PM

when you can find them that is..... most places local to me sell the stuff from Chung king city.

what's so hard about finding them?? order online and here in 2 days? miller is way to expensive there are many other sites and most have free shipping and alot better prices, summit racing is a good source.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,163 Thanks
  • 7,598 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Deestones are from Thailand I believe, seem better than the Chinese brand.  I have had good luck with them on small and big tractors. Carlisle still around, but most small ones made in 'China now too from them. Old stock might be USA.  Firestone had more common sizes. I have local dealer, but most of his are still Carlisle in couple diff tread types.

#12 nbent ONLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 650 Thanks
  • 529 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Carlisle are made in the US and are decent. I haven't checked prices but I know that we sell them at work with free shipping. Discounttiredirect.com good luck with navigating there site though

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 06:52 PM

what's so hard about finding them?? order online and here in 2 days? miller is way to expensive there are many other sites and most have free shipping and alot better prices, summit racing is a good source.

I'm talking from local sources, across the counter... not EPay or other online sources. those that do carry anything L&G, tend to carry Korean or Chinese or even Vietnam made stuff from some brands I have never heard of....  a few different  brands that start with ****SHIN or ***KANG    not Firestone or Goodyear or Carlisle.    Heck on a different note (still tire related)  I had an awful hard time fining a set of 27X1-1/4" for my 1979 Schwinn Continental and '72 Schwinn Varsity.... everything is metric now a days... 700c or 630c... what the He11 is that?     and I don't want tires that are folded up in a box  not much bigger than an inner tube box.   I finally found (surprise)! some Michelins, I bought some Kenda ones last year (yuck) for the Varsity.... I put the Michelin's on the Continental. Just got them, been too cold and icy lately to try and take out a pedal bike.

#14 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 09:38 PM

I'm talking from local sources, across the counter... not EPay or other online sources. those that do carry anything L&G, tend to carry Korean or Chinese or even Vietnam made stuff from some brands I have never heard of.... a few different brands that start with ****SHIN or ***KANG not Firestone or Goodyear or Carlisle. Heck on a different note (still tire related) I had an awful hard time fining a set of 27X1-1/4" for my 1979 Schwinn Continental and '72 Schwinn Varsity.... everything is metric now a days... 700c or 630c... what the He11 is that? and I don't want tires that are folded up in a box not much bigger than an inner tube box. I finally found (surprise)! some Michelins, I bought some Kenda ones last year (yuck) for the Varsity.... I put the Michelin's on the Continental. Just got them, been too cold and icy lately to try and take out a pedal bike.

unfortunately by me "across the counter" doesn't really exist anymore, the napa's are getting worse can't match up parts unless it's in the computer, and like you said the rest just sell the cheap Asian tires, I recently just found a guy who usually scraps everything but now is parting stuff out cause its more than scrap, I picked up some nice tire sets from him

#15 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 10:32 PM

unfortunately by me "across the counter" doesn't really exist anymore, the napa's are getting worse can't match up parts unless it's in the computer, and like you said the rest just sell the cheap Asian tires, I recently just found a guy who usually scraps everything but now is parting stuff out cause its more than scrap, I picked up some nice tire sets from him

I'm lucky enough to have 4 parts stores within 12miles, a NAPA, Carquest, Advance Auto, and one other that I've not been into, they have all been great to deal with so far, TSC has gotten rid of most of there stuff for older equipment, they don't even sell Carlisle tires anymore, they now sell Hi-Run but never have a pair in stock.