jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 1,726 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:03 PM

My wife and I really enjoy showing our tractors at the different shows during the summer.
Over the last few years, we have cut back on the amount of tractor shows that we go to.
The shows have to be close enough so we can go back home each night to sleep or we have to get a motel room for one or two nights.
Either way, it's getting expensive to attend shows that are farther out.

We decided it was time to come up with a way to spend the nights right at the show grounds.
I want to take an old truck camper and set it on the front of this trailer that I built to haul the tractors.

Posted Image

We won't be spending much time in the camper so I don't want to take up 8 foot of trailer space for just a place to sleep.
I'm going to shorten the body of the camper and let the overhang extend up over the goose neck on the trailer.
That way it will only take up about 4-1/2 foot of trailer space.

I found an old pickup camper for sale on Craigs List for $100.
We loaded it up on the truck and brought it home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those 3-truck camper jacks that came on the camper were in really good condition.
I ended up selling them on ebay for $82 so my total investment in the camper at this time is only $18.
The interior isn't too bad.
You can see where the roof vent has leaked up front over the bed area and rotted the ceiling paneling.

Posted Image

Also, it has been sitting for about 10 years with one of the windows open a little and the wall studs are completely rotted out.
None of that matters though because the interior is going to be completely stripped out and re-done anyway.

Posted Image

The first thing to do was to get it off the truck and down onto the trailer.
I backed the truck up against the side of the trailer.

Posted Image

Using a comalong on each side of the camper, I pulled it off the truck and down on to the trailer.

Posted Image

Once it was on the trailer, I then pulled it around so it was lined up with the trailer.

Posted Image

My initial idea was to do the modifications to the camper with it sitting on the trailer.
I've since changed my mind about doing it that way.

I would have to do all the work outside because the camper sits about a foot taller than the door opening in the garage.
Once I got the metal off the side, that would leave the frame work exposed to the rain.
It could get kind of interesting removing and putting on new metal out in the wind.
Also, the camper is just about as wide as the trailer so there isn't room to walk around the sides.

The top of the goose neck from the deck of the trailer is about 3 inch higher than the underside of the overhang on the camper.
So with the camper sitting on the trailer, I blocked it up until it had enough clearance to go over the goose neck.

Then I put my fork extensions on the lift truck and picked the camper up off the trailer.

Posted Image

I backed the camper up and set it back down closer to the ground as soon as it cleared the trailer.

Posted Image

Then I brought it up to the front of the garage.
The camper is lowered to the ground at the back and resting on some blocks off wood at the front so I can get the forks out from under it.

Posted Image

The front of the camper was then lifted up so the wood could be removed and set down on the ground.

Posted Image

With the fork extensions pushing against a block of wood, I pushed the camper into the garage.

Posted Image

Once the camper was in the garage, I lifted it back up and set it back down on the wood blocks so it is sitting at the correct height to clear the goose neck .

Posted Image

Here it is all ready to start working on.

Posted Image

The cabinets and paneling has all been stripped from the inside.

Posted Image

Edited by jdcrawler, June 03, 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:22 PM

Nice job there.
If you do the camper like you truck you will have a great camper.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Very good idea Ray. With how nice the stuff is that you do I am sure it is going to look like it was a factory made toy hauler/camper. I have seen guys before just strap a pickup camper down to their trailer before but not built in with the trailer.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Great idea Ray, It would be nice to pull into a show, level up the hauler, and not have to leave again until the show is over....

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Lookin good! Very good idea,it should provide you a nice nest to rest in at the shows. Shawn

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ray,I really like that old GM truck of yours.

#7 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 11:01 PM

That's the best thing to do with them. When I've went riding I saw some people of the camper at the front of the trailer and the bikes and quads on the rear. Just pull up and unload. No need to set up a tent or anything. Everything is in the camper ready to go. I have saw some campers mounted to the front of the tongue so they still have the room on the bed of the trailer also.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 08:23 AM

With how nice the stuff is that you do I am sure it is going to look like it was a factory made toy hauler/camper.

I was thinking the same thing when I first started reading this thread . I bet when you set up people will ask what brand toyhauler you bought !!

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 09:14 AM

Get looking idea so far. Nice Truck too.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Man you guys are setting the bar pretty high for Ray! Do you think he can live up to your expectations? ............. I DO!