Over the last few years, we have cut back on the amount of tractor shows that we go to.
The shows have to be close enough so we can go back home each night to sleep or we have to get a motel room for one or two nights.
Either way, it's getting expensive to attend shows that are farther out.
We decided it was time to come up with a way to spend the nights right at the show grounds.
I want to take an old truck camper and set it on the front of this trailer that I built to haul the tractors.
We won't be spending much time in the camper so I don't want to take up 8 foot of trailer space for just a place to sleep.
I'm going to shorten the body of the camper and let the overhang extend up over the goose neck on the trailer.
That way it will only take up about 4-1/2 foot of trailer space.
I found an old pickup camper for sale on Craigs List for $100.
We loaded it up on the truck and brought it home.
Those 3-truck camper jacks that came on the camper were in really good condition.
I ended up selling them on ebay for $82 so my total investment in the camper at this time is only $18.
The interior isn't too bad.
You can see where the roof vent has leaked up front over the bed area and rotted the ceiling paneling.
Also, it has been sitting for about 10 years with one of the windows open a little and the wall studs are completely rotted out.
None of that matters though because the interior is going to be completely stripped out and re-done anyway.
The first thing to do was to get it off the truck and down onto the trailer.
I backed the truck up against the side of the trailer.
Using a comalong on each side of the camper, I pulled it off the truck and down on to the trailer.
Once it was on the trailer, I then pulled it around so it was lined up with the trailer.
My initial idea was to do the modifications to the camper with it sitting on the trailer.
I've since changed my mind about doing it that way.
I would have to do all the work outside because the camper sits about a foot taller than the door opening in the garage.
Once I got the metal off the side, that would leave the frame work exposed to the rain.
It could get kind of interesting removing and putting on new metal out in the wind.
Also, the camper is just about as wide as the trailer so there isn't room to walk around the sides.
The top of the goose neck from the deck of the trailer is about 3 inch higher than the underside of the overhang on the camper.
So with the camper sitting on the trailer, I blocked it up until it had enough clearance to go over the goose neck.
Then I put my fork extensions on the lift truck and picked the camper up off the trailer.
I backed the camper up and set it back down closer to the ground as soon as it cleared the trailer.
Then I brought it up to the front of the garage.
The camper is lowered to the ground at the back and resting on some blocks off wood at the front so I can get the forks out from under it.
The front of the camper was then lifted up so the wood could be removed and set down on the ground.
With the fork extensions pushing against a block of wood, I pushed the camper into the garage.
Once the camper was in the garage, I lifted it back up and set it back down on the wood blocks so it is sitting at the correct height to clear the goose neck .
Here it is all ready to start working on.
The cabinets and paneling has all been stripped from the inside.
Edited by jdcrawler, June 03, 2011 - 03:21 PM.