Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,247 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:31 AM

Within the last week I've learned of two fires . My wifes niece just happened to look out at her barn and saw light inside . It was an heater for the animals ( not sure of the type ) the garden hoses were frozen but with their fire extinguishers and the neighbors they put the fire out . To be so lucky to catch it at the very start is a miracle . Last night my friend Joe , some might have met him at Jacktown ,called and told me his barn burned to the ground . He and his wife were sleeping and heard a popping sound , he thinks now it might have been aresol cans exploding . It was burning good , he tried using the garden hose to save his wifes car that was parked nearby but the heat was so great it gave him burns to the face until he had to let it go . Besides that car he lost a Jeep parked outside too . His car only had its headlight melt so at least he can get around . Everything inside gone , all his tools , all but one gt that was parked in a different shed , generator , tillers , snowblower ect the said he had to go buy a snow shovel 2 days later just to clear his walks. Right now he trying to make up a list for the insurance co. Can't imagine trying to make that list. Anyway be careful and watch out for potential electrical problems

Edited by Alc, December 24, 2016 - 06:32 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 12 others have said thanks

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:40 AM

Good catch by the wife's niece. Sorry for Joe on the loss of his things, hope he recovers from his burns well. 

• Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,996 Thanks
  • 3,294 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for posting that reminder Al , fire safety should be a concern at all times especially during winter months. It also helps to take pictures of everything you own should an unfortunate incident occur for insurance proof.

• Alc, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,247 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:48 AM

Joe wasn't a collector but had some antiques in there as well as some things like his Brinly one row planter , how's the insurance co going to put a value on that ? Makes you wonder .
  • KennyP, Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,080 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:01 AM

I had a very good friend lose his barn to fire about 3 years ago and the ins company was great to him, stuff of unusual value they just googled and tooka guestimate then doubled it, yes I said doubled it!!!  they were great to him.  between me and my buddy we have been 3 years getting him back out of the hole that fire put him in.  Hope your buddy gets thru this ok.

Pete

• Alc, Lmiller3358 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,208 Thanks
  • 4,590 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 10:51 AM

I was on our volunteer fire department for over 30 years and have seen many places burn because of negligence.

With cold weather folks will use all kinds of methods to keep water pipes from freezing, but end up burning the place down.

Everyone PLEASE be careful!

• Alc, Lmiller3358 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,787 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I grew up with a wood stove, coal stove, flammable cleaners on the shelf and wasn't scared of them. Electric heat always scares me cause it takes a while til something happens. Then you are sleeping or away.
  • Alc and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Every winter those electric heater torch lots of houses and outbuildings. And every year there are lots of houses burned down because of turkeys trying to deep fry turkeys!!

Mike

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,758 Thanks
  • 5,438 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Every winter those electric heater torch lots of houses and outbuildings. And every year there are lots of houses burned down because of turkeys trying to deep fry turkeys!!

Mike

Block heaters as well..  A nearby farm lost a barn full of tractors & equipment due to a shorted out one..  Put the thing on a timer-  Son't leave it on all night!

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,026 Thanks
  • 5,880 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Around here it seems like so many times it's heat lamps. People will hang them on anything and walk away. When the cord is cold and stiff you can get away with that but when it starts to warm up the cord gets soft. Then the weight of the lamp starts pulling it slowly down and when the lamp gets close to something flammable, Disaster. Livestock, buildings, and belongings all gone. 

• MH81, Alc, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#11 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 761 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for posting that reminder Al , fire safety should be a concern at all times especially during winter months. It also helps to take pictures of everything you own should an unfortunate incident occur for insurance proof.

Take pictures of everything. Open toolbox drawers and snap a pic. Keep them in several places. I keep a memory stick at work with my pics as well as what I have at home on my laptop and iPad. If you had to start writing a list from memory, you would miss too many things. Every couple of years I like to completely empty my garage and my shed for a full top to bottom cleaning and to get it all organized properly(again). I always take pics then.

Check with your insurance agent, it may be worthwhile to get a rider on your homeowners policy. Do be careful mentioning things like torches and welders, especially if you have an attached garage.
  • MH81, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,247 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 05:25 AM

Just wanted to give an update on my friend Joe who lost his garage/barn in the fire back in Dec. At first the insurance co. seemed really helpful ,, as far and getting prices and value on things, he just needed to put a price on without paperwork or current sales of them  . But once he sent the list in I don't think the agent thought he would have had so much stuff and what the replacement value would be . There's 2 generations of equipment , tools ect that was in there . It's getting close payout time  and will update as I hear from him  

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks