coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Got to play with the 1650A today. Anthing above an Idle and the engine feels like a 2 cylinder hitting on one cylinder only. It feels like its a mechanical problem but idle is fine. I am guessing the balance gears need to come out. What do yall think?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Someone may have gotten them timed wrong in the past. That would definitely shake you up. So it seems to be running fine besides the shakes?

#3 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Don't know for sure, but either bad, or not there now. I have never had a 16 horse shake even without weights. I would say to check into it as soon as possible. On the way, check for something stuck in cooling fins on flywheel. But, I would say by all means check as soon as possible. If balance weights grenade, it is a bad day.

Regards, George

PS, Maybe some one with more Kohler Savvy will weigh in on this.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 03:21 PM

I would say to check into it as soon as possible. On the way, check for something stuck in cooling fins on flywheel. But, I would say by all means check as soon as possible. If balance weights grenade, it is a bad day.

Regards, George

I was thinking too about possible dirt dauber nests on the flywheel. As George said, DO check before running more. One revolution is all it takes to destroy an engine!

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hadnt thought of the flywheel being out of balance. I was able to unload it and drive it, at idle, to the shop. When I figured out sum ting wong I shut it down and moved on to the WH. I had to get one up and running today. I got to try out the WH, I like the way it mows but thats about it. The hand control is not as easy to use as the foot pedal. Th 1650 is on tomorrows agenda.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:09 PM

I messed with it somemore: It seems more like its skipping IDK. What ever it is its rough on the engine. It will jerk the entire tractor.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Have you checked for an external cause. I would check the hydro drive shaft. If it is stripping out it will cause the load on the engine to change. Also motor mounts. If one or more are broken it will cause the engine to vibrate like crazy and maybe only at certain speeds. Also could it actually be missing due to an ignition problem.I hope it is not a major engine problem!

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:01 PM

I don't really have anything to add, mainly subscribing to the thread so I can see what you come up with :D

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:14 PM

My plan for tomorrow is to isolate the engine from the tranny and test. If symptoms are the same I will pull the carb and clean. I might even make a vid of it so everyone can see the problem.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 12:17 PM

After reading around last night I decided that I would check the points gap this morning. Well 0.030+ was a bit much. I reset them to 0,020 and started her up, smoothhhhhhhh. I did not realize that the points gap was the timing (FACEPALM). The needle wasnt seating so I cleaned the carb. I put it all back together and took her for a spin. I have the deck tore apart and wanted to get it back together today but the WH D160 took too much time. But the WH is up and mowing.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 02:10 PM

Man ya had us thinking exploding engine! Facepalm yourself again! LOL Happy to hear it was just the points. At .030 I'm surprised she even ran. One thing that shows is that your points lobe on the cam isn't worn down!

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Mine was running very poorly when I got it. I cleaned the points then it wouldn't run at all. I re gapped them to .020 and it ran much smoother and started easily. Glad to hear it was an easy and cheap fix. You should check the drive shaft couplers and also the motor mounts. A broken mount will cause a lot of engine vibration and end up causing the couplers to wear in the long term. Don't ask how I know this. It is worth pulling the fender deck off and having a look at them. They don't make any bad noises until there is a lot of damage. The front one at the engine is a key only so make sure it isn't sloppy by putting torque on the shaft in both directions.
  • coldone said thank you

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Man ya had us thinking exploding engine! Facepalm yourself again! LOL Happy to hear it was just the points. At .030 I'm surprised she even ran. One thing that shows is that your points lobe on the cam isn't worn down!

I thought it was comming apart too! I got to thinking and thought it would be very unlikely that the balance gears would come apart while the engine just sat for the past couple of years. I finally got smart and did some reading and thats when I thought about the gap.

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 08:37 PM

You should check the drive shaft couplers and also the motor mounts. A broken mount will cause a lot of engine vibration and end up causing the couplers to wear in the long term. Don't ask how I know this. It is worth pulling the fender deck off and having a look at them. They don't make any bad noises until there is a lot of damage. The front one at the engine is a key only so make sure it isn't sloppy by putting torque on the shaft in both directions.

While the carb was soaking I did those checks. The coupler felt tight and all motor mounst were fine and snug.

Good catch on the front wheels also. I never even noticed it and I still had to remeber to look. Even the rims are different. I just placed a want ad in the classified to see if any body has a spare rim laying around.

Thanks

Edited by coldone, June 04, 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Sounds like it's all workin out for you.
Good stuff.
Nice score there.