• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • Member No: 85478
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 12:03 PM

If a guy wants to restore tractors you need to learn how to do every aspect of a restoration yourself......

If a guy wants to restore tractors you need to learn how to do every aspect of a restoration yourself........IMO if you can't your gonna have issues like this happen!

We will always have issues and challenges.  Hubby would love to do it all.  If only he weren't almost 70, and didn't have 2 titanium knees, a massive rotator cuff  tear and repair in both shoulders, and being 90% disabled. It's amazing what he can do.   After the broken rib fall, the attack of a 4" angle grinder on a leg, step ladder left shoulder fall, and the fall while sitting on a  bucket right shoulder fall, and the most recent managing to fall out of a rolling chair,  we have concluded that he needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap at all times.  We are thankful every day that he is able to do anything!

• MH81, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 11:22 AM

Keeping our fingers crossed!  Hood and pan to another body shop.  Hopefully the orange peel will be wet sanded and buffed and gone.

• limebuzz said thank you

#18 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 02:37 PM

Well, it only gets worse!

Body Shop #1 received sandblasted and gray primed M7 parts.  Great job on the snadblasting and priming from a guy who has done a lot of work for us.

Body Shop #1 SAID he had to re-prime even though was already primed.

Body Shop #1 SAID he primed again and sprayed on 3 coats of paint.

Body Shop #1 knew this was a show garden tractor.  He even looked at the photo album of Hubby's other projects.

What I felt was slight orange peel is more than slight.

Body Shop #! charged $180 PLUS the paint.

Body Shop # 2 said he would wet sand and buff the orange peel out.

Body Shop #2 said it only had ONE coat of red paint and black primer.  You sure can't buff paint if there's no paint to buff

Body Shop # 2 is going to start all over.

Now we have to buy another set of decals  $60  (I know.  I know. Poppyshoppe should have asked my opinion of the orange peel BEFORE he put on the decals. I'm the one who declared he would never be happy with that paint job, as he knew I would.)

Discouraged Hubby says there's something on the garden tractor  that needs to be repainted, but something has to be taken apart and something would be a huge amount of trouble to take apart and he just got it all put together (which took days and nights).  

Now we have to worry about the color match, since Body Shop #2 is using a different brand of paint.

Hubby and I are having a "disagreement".  I say he should also get the deck re-done.  He says he can "live with it".   

Hubby has NOT contacted Body Shop #1.  He is waiting to go with the "repair" receipts in his hand and demand a refund for every cent it cost to fix the paint job.   :mad2:

Paint Shop #1 sure has taken the fun and satisfaction out of this project!   

Hoping for no disappointment with Body Shop #2

• olcowhand, limebuzz and MFDAC have said thanks

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,898 Thanks
  • 29,724 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 07:53 AM

If you don't give Body Shop 1 the opportunity to correct the issue or see it pre-fix, it's probable they won't even talk to you about refunds. As far as they are concerned, you're happy enough with the projects outcome.
If you take it back in, show the issues and then discuss money, the situation will be harder for them. Pictures and receipts will only make them think that someone else is lying too, after all that's their MO.
Once called out, they SHOULD offer a redo... that's an argument you two need to have in advance of that offer :D
Also, it might be helpful to mention you are holding back their name to us and others but will mention Them specifically in all social media and forum follow-ups.

Did they ever say why it had to be reprimed? It's possible they fouled up the first paint job and had to strip it. Then decided you should pay for the primer too.

#20 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 173 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Wow, this sounds like a mess!
I'm a thinking body shop #1 is gonna laugh in your face and tell you to hit the road when you go demand your money back.......I'm with MH81, you needed to return back with parts and give them the chance to correct this issue.
I understand your sore at them and yes they did you wrong but you needed to return and talk with owner! I don't agree with threatening them with social media slander......I give you credit for not giving names!
What brand paint body shop #1 and #2 using.....your gonna see a significant change in color if different brands ......air pressure settings alone can change colors too......I wish you luck and hope things work out for you!

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,898 Thanks
  • 29,724 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 04:47 PM

Wow, this sounds like a mess!
I'm a thinking body shop #1 is gonna laugh in your face and tell you to hit the road when you go demand your money back.......I'm with MH81, you needed to return back with parts and give them the chance to correct this issue.
I understand your sore at them and yes they did you wrong but you needed to return and talk with owner! I don't agree with threatening them with social media slander......I give you credit for not giving names!
What brand paint body shop #1 and #2 using.....your gonna see a significant change in color if different brands ......air pressure settings alone can change colors too......I wish you luck and hope things work out for you!

I humbly disagree on one point.
If you give them the chance to correct the error and if no joy, then tell the unembellished truth... thats not slander it's a warning to others how to better be prepared when dealing with this company. Or possibly a heads up not to at all.
Strong arm, blunt, to the point, and potentially a black eye on their reputation, but not slander.
  • DMAX and shorty have said thanks

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,552 Thanks
  • 4,686 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 04:50 PM

It is part of today's world. Good and bad news reaches every one.

#23 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 735 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 05:35 PM

Did you tell the first body shop you wanted a zero orange peel,cut and buffed paint job?

#24 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 02, 2017 - 12:12 PM

What's already done is already done.

Hubby did not want Body Shop #1 to touch it again, and did he not want to deal with them again. 

After all, what kind of person tells you they put on 3 coats of paint to find out there was only one?  

Do we actually think we will see a refund from them? No.

It was made crystal clear to them what he wanted and excepted.  He's been having garden tractor parts painted for years, and this is the first disaster.  

Why did they re-prime? Original primer was gray.  The sandblaster did a fantastic job! Primer on it when buffed was black.

Hubby will take the re-paint receipts and the painted parts to Body Shop #1.  We would be shocked to death, if they actually refunded for the shoddy work.  

Now, what on earth if Body Shop #2 is WORSE than Body Shop #1.  

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 173 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 09:13 PM

We need a update......how's the project and did you get your money back from body shop#1?

#26 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 58 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted February 23, 2017 - 01:20 PM

I used to do 9 coat hand rubbed lacquer on grand pianos.  I have done auto parts with NO orange peel.  Orange peel from a professional is
"dgas"

Try making a grand piano lid flat as a piece of glass. 

• Dayton_King said thank you

#27 poppyshoppe OFFLINE  

poppyshoppe
  • Member No: 49575
  • 92 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments..  Everything is "all better now".  I took the hood and pan to a second body shop, the body man wet sanded only to find a very thin coat of paint.  Not enough thickness of paint to even think about the wet sanding and buffing out.  The body man  took everything off and started all over again with base coat/clear coat.  I am happy to report that it turned out great the second time.  I decided not to go back to body shop 1, it's just not worth it.  I grew up on a Massey Ferguson 175 IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0688.JPG Multi-Power, so it is really special to me.   I've attached a couple of pictures, I love it when a plan comes together.

• Y2K GTP said thank you

#28 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 590 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Looks like a cautious wet sand with 2000 grit paper would help if your unsure just try buffing it first and see what happens.  If not use 1500. It will only level it out and not remove alot of paint. Use a backer pad and not your bare hand . I would mask over the decals to protect them and just go lightly until you achieve your goals. 

I always do my own with spray bombs and have had good success with it by warming the paint and keeping the garage as warm as I can get it. ( torpedo heater is gonna kill me yet )

I grew up in a body shop environment and it looks like they hurried and really did not take the time to prep it well. Then did not buff it when done for sure.

If your unsure try a cleaner polish first and see what happens to it. Eastwood makes very good products to help you unless you have a local body shop supplier.

Everyone has given a lot of good advice but I would have also been disappointed with the quality as a "professional" body shop did it for you. 

Good luck and post pics of the progress.

Tractor looks great in pics.

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 173 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted February 27, 2017 - 07:15 PM

Wow, that tractor turned out beautiful.....that's a job you should be very proud of!
I'm glad in the end your project turned out for you! Disappointing you weren't able to recoop some your expenses but I totally understand your not wanting to deal with all the grief.
Take care and enjoy that new toy!
Luke