• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • Member No: 85478
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Doggone it!  Thought if we took it to a car Body Shop that we would get a good paint job.  Well, we didn't.  

I never look at hubby poppyshoppe's projects until they are finished, but last night he said he needed for me to see it.  He wanted my opinion on the paint job.  Every inch  has a slight orange peel.  Bummer. Of course, it shows up most on the hood.  

Tractors he has painted with a can of spray paint look better.   Disappointed, he's not working on it today.  He said the more he looks at it, the worse it looks.  

Bummer.  I think we should take it to another body shop to get it repainted.  He's never going to be happy with it.  

He says it's too far along to even think about have another paint job.

We are bummed.

• oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#2 Jonas Monnett OFFLINE  

Jonas Monnett
  • Member No: 56667
  • 126 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 01:11 PM

Pics??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 01:15 PM

If it has orange peel you can wet sand it and buff it out.
  • boyscout862, HANKG, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 01:19 PM

When a body shop paints a car there is always some orange peel on a car they wet sand and buff also. I'd like to see some pics to see how bad it is. If you lived close I'd buff it for you for free. I do auto detailing and have all the stuff here to do it. If you need any help let me know
  • limebuzz, MH81, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Body shop guy says it was the bad paint that we furnished.  It was Advantage and the exact paint we used on the Speedex which looks fantastic.  The guy who restored my Speedex also painted the Speedex.

Poppyshoppe says he can "live with it", but I know he will never be happy with it.  The orange peel is not bad bad,  Just bad enough to take away from the rest of the restoration.  It was sand blasted smooth and primed before we took it to the body shop.

We are only talking about the hood, pan, and the top of the deck.  He has already put those $60 decals on.   :)  We're going to disagree on this one until we do my way and get it fixed.  :)  

LOL Today he put the deck on.  Funny thing is, that makes it wider than the door.  LOL he will have to take it apart to get it out of the building.

• limebuzz, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,124 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 02:11 PM

Sounds like an air temp or moisture problem if it is to bad.  Like several have said, it can be wet sanded sanded and buffed out.  I lie wet sanding by hand as you can control it a lot more.  Power sander can get to deep quick.  Good luck with your project.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Sounds to me as if they thought they were only painting a one mower and no one would care.

With a situation like that, I would give them one more opportunity to do the correction then go to social media and the Better Business Bureau.
  • oldedeeres, dodge trucker, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 05:09 PM

You can still buff it even with the decals on it just don't wet sand the decals. If you use a dual action polisher with foam pads it won't hurt them if you get into them. Go over them on cars all the time
  • Sawdust, ericjr16 and KBuzz have said thanks

#9 jabelman ONLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,044 Thanks
  • 1,501 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 05:44 PM

taking something like this to a autobody shop, it probably got passed down to the part time high school kid to work on. alot of shops I know won't do small projects like this
  • MH81, dodge trucker, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,187 Thanks
  • 1,354 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Too little too late but best for customer to choose paint colour and shop to choose paint brand. There are huge differences in squirting ones brand paint to another. If painter is not familiar with product laying paint down like glass is just not happening if painter is novice.

Edited by Jazz, December 23, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 11:53 AM

Sounds to me as if they thought they were only painting a one mower and no one would care.

With a situation like that, I would give them one more opportunity to do the correction then go to social media and the Better Business Bureau.

taking something like this to a autobody shop, it probably got passed down to the part time high school kid to work on. alot of shops I know won't do small projects like this

I made a similar mistake, with my son's Cub Original

I took the tractor  directly to the local high school career center body shop upon picking it up from the sand blaster company, after having previously talked to the instructor about doing this job; he seemed happy to get it for "experience" for the students.

and the "it's just a stupid lawn mower" attitude was very obvious in the end result; I supplied all the paint and hardener, that came directly from the Case/IH stealership---- that wound up being mistake #2 that stuff is crap. ("Iron Gard")

the overspray was ridiculous, the missed/bare spots and more, this was my son's 1st such project and he was PO'd.   the only decent paint turned out to be on the rims and  my son was a student at that career center in a the metalworking program there. His teacher allowed him to go down to the body shop and check on the progress a few times, and wound up getting to spray the rims himself while the body shop teacher stood by.  

This tractor came home and wound up in the attic, still in pieces for a few years after it was painted as my son tended to work and community college. so that paint had PLENTY of time to cure and harden.

He assembled the tractor last Fall and was getting excited as he could see it coming together, he wanted to enter it in this past summer's local tractor show.   well the very 1st time he put gas in it, he wound up with a leak where the base for the glass fuel strainer threaded into the tank, and within about 2 hours I went out in the garage and found much of that new paint peeled away!  

Crap paint, crap paint job that has to be redone.  I hate redo's. the primer wasnt fazed but the cover coat was completely removed.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 05:48 PM

We keep going down to the shop taking a look at the paint.  Do we really think if we look at it enough times that it will get better?

Our dear friend, who restored the Speedex for me, has offered to take a look at it and see if he can fix it.

Lesson learned!  The body shop guy knew it was a garden tractor for show.  This is a body shop that has been around forever, but it was passed down to the son.  I left out that he overcharged us!  

The paint isn't horrible, but if we don't get it fixed, we'll never enjoy the MF7. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04592.JPG
  • DSC04595.JPG
  • DSC04596.JPG
  • DSC04598.JPG
  • DSC04609.JPG

#13 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:11 PM

If you enlarge this photo the orange peel really showsDSC04607.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#14 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 384 Thanks
  • 354 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 07:39 PM

If you enlarge this photo the orange peel really showsattachicon.gifDSC04607.JPG

I can see it. Was this acrylic enamel? No clearcoat?

#15 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 173 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 11:15 PM

If they put enough paint on it orange peel can be wet sanded and buffed out by a professional body man to look like glass!
Not man paint jobs out there start smooth as glass fresh right out of the spray gun without buffing.......look at new cars, they have some slight degree of orange peel right out the factory.
I believe you had your hopes set to high.......you should of made them buff it out before you took it.......they just didn't finish the job!
Now since you applied the decals it makes a job of buffing much harder.......still doable but not many will wanna mess with it now......terribly ease to scuff and smudge the decals with buffer!
If a guy wants to restore tractors you need to learn how to do every aspect of a restoration yourself........IMO if you can't your gonna have issues like this happen!
Sorry for your misfortune
Good luck