• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 44,999 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 11:47 AM

I wanted to protect the battery holder area in Alice when I was putting it all together and thought using 'Flex Seal' would do the trick. Since this is a 'rubberized coating', it would help protect from the battery acid corrosion that was present when I took things apart. So before installing the dash console that has the holder built into it, I masked off what I didn't want covered with the coating and gave it a couple layers of the Flex Seal. Here's what it looked like before.

2015-09-17 12.00.51.jpg

And the after pics.

2015-10-03 09.48.56A.jpg    2015-10-03 10.10.11A.jpg

Another area that folks with cast iron wheel weights might like to protect is the surface the weights contact the wheels. Cast weights are rough and chew the paint up on your wheels. Mask off the weight areas not making wheel contact and give it a couple coats of the Flex Seal. It comes in several different colors now, but White or Black would probably work well. You may be able to put the FS on first and paint over it, but I haven't tried that yet.

• MH81, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Looks good I should have done something like that when I got my one suburban done I put a husky battery in it and it started leaking out the top and ruined my paint. Let us know how it holds up
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 44,999 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 12:14 PM

I had the battery out of Alice a while back and after a year at least, saw no issues! They have the liquid out now you can brush on if you want a smoother finish. The spray can does leave a rough finish, but is easy to put on. Give it at least 24 hrs. to set up well.

• MFDAC, boyscout862 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,146 Thanks
  • 6,242 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 02:17 PM

I never believed in Flex Seal after the first time I saw that ridiculous air boat commercial.  Looks like your project is working out OK Kenny.  I have been putting belting under the batteries but that don't protect the paint from the boil over liquid.  Even with the vent tube, where do you run the tube so it don't get on some paint some place?

Edited by chieffan, December 23, 2016 - 03:49 PM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,563 Thanks
  • 44,999 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM

I never believed in Flex Seal after the first time I saw that ridiculous air boat commercial.  Looks like your project is working out OK Kenny.  I have been putting belting under the batteries but that don't protect the paint from the boil over liquid.  Even with the vent tube, where do you run the tube so it don't get on some paint some place?

I'm not real impressed with the water seal parts in the commercials. But is seems to be doing okay for this. And it is a rubbery substance, so could do well to protect between parts. 

You'd have to run that tube down below the tractor to keep it from getting on something.

#6 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,363 Thanks
  • 989 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 06:44 PM

Great idea,

I tried some flex seal around my vent pipes on the roof of my house. BTW if you climb up on the roof with one can you will have to come down and get the second can, it doesn't cover very much area for the money it costs. I could purchase a 5 gallon bucket of tar for what the flex seal cost me.

I think if I wanted to protect something for a long time I would consider powder coating or truck bed liner.

#7 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 74432
  • 258 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Used flex seal to seal block around basement. That was a joke. It never even slowed the water down.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,078 Thanks
  • 1,065 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Great idea,

I tried some flex seal around my vent pipes on the roof of my house. BTW if you climb up on the roof with one can you will have to come down and get the second can, it doesn't cover very much area for the money it costs. I could purchase a 5 gallon bucket of tar for what the flex seal cost me.

I think if I wanted to protect something for a long time I would consider powder coating or truck bed liner.

I agree with you on that, I tried 3 products out 1. Rubberized undercoating 2. Flex seal 3. Truck bed liner, when I was restoring my car.  I had some bare metal and some painted metal to try it on. Flex seal held up better then the rubberized undercoating but neither f the two can take much abrasion. The truck bed liner , you cant scratch that easy as the other two and sticks better then all of them. The worst on painted surfaces was the rubberized under coating. 

Truck bed liner wins 

• KennyP, SupplySergeant and Merle013 have said thanks