#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,138 Thanks
  • 9,617 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Shrimp boil tomorrow and oyster stew on Sunday.

IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

Edited by Cat385B, December 23, 2016 - 06:48 PM.

• KennyP, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,976 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 08:14 PM

[quote name="Cat385B" post="735583" timestamp="1482536790"]Shrimp boil tomorrow and oyster stew on Sunday.
attachicon.gifIMG_0487.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0884.JPG[/quote
We are still sitting in the fence as far as Xmas dinner. Prime rib is dirt cheap currently. Farmers really taking it on the chin. Got lots of shell fish but any seafood bisque is awesome in cold weather
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#18 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,260 Thanks
  • 4,251 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Did the full turkey thing for the equinox, so Christmas is my "famous" oyster casserole, roast duck, sweet potatoes, spinach, (don't know why, but I really like those two veggies together)cole slaw, and for dessert? Cheesecake!
  • KennyP and Jazz have said thanks

#19 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 06:26 AM

Prime rib for us this year from my own critters...boy nothing better..

What time we eating neighbor ? 

• KennyP said thank you

#20 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,225 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Did the full turkey thing for the equinox, so Christmas is my "famous" oyster casserole, roast duck, sweet potatoes, spinach, (don't know why, but I really like those two veggies together)cole slaw, and for dessert? Cheesecake!

OD? I take it you won't be alone for the holidays?

My Dad's family used to have a couple of special items of food. He had a Great Aunt in S. Dakota who was Swedish. She started the tradition of Ost Kaka for dessert. It is a baked pudding made from clabbered whole milk, vanilla, egg, almond, etc. Served with Lingon berries. This was made by my mother and my wife for many years, but no more. Too much work!

My Dad had another Aunt who used to make a plum pudding every year. It was served warm with the hard sauce (blended butter/ sugar) on top.

As time goes by, traditions die out with the people who revered the memories. >sssssighhhh<

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 860 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 11:05 AM

OD? I take it you won't be alone for the holidays?

My Dad's family used to have a couple of special items of food. He had a Great Aunt in S. Dakota who was Swedish. She started the tradition of Ost Kaka for dessert. It is a baked pudding made from clabbered whole milk, vanilla, egg, almond, etc. Served with Lingon berries. This was made by my mother and my wife for many years, but no more. Too much work!

My Dad had another Aunt who used to make a plum pudding every year. It was served warm with the hard sauce (blended butter/ sugar) on top.

As time goes by, traditions die out with the people who revered the memories. >sssssighhhh<

Clabbered milk. I Haven't heard that term in years as my mother used to make it when I was a kid but don't remember just how she made it. I thought that was a southern food.

#22 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,260 Thanks
  • 4,251 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 02:42 PM

No, I won't be alone, my oldest son lives not far away and will be here. And my memories are always with me. Thanks for asking, it means a lot.
  • KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,225 Thanks
  • 9,175 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Clabbered milk. I Haven't heard that term in years as my mother used to make it when I was a kid but don't remember just how she made it. I thought that was a southern food.

Rennet tablets, which are used to curdle milk, may be found at the grocery. http://www.wisegeek....net-tablets.htm

#24 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 760 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Shrimp boil tomorrow and oyster stew on Sunday.
attachicon.gifIMG_0487.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0884.JPG

We make shrimp boil loaded up with everything only we call if Frogmore Stew. Depending on where you are from in the south it's low country boil, Beaufort Stew(that's bew fort, not bo fort), shrimp boil, etc.

I've been looking for oysters to make a batch of oyster stew but haven't found any and I'm in NC and you have them in Minnesota!

I'll do a big breakfast with my boys late morning--eggs, grits, sage sausage, pancakes, corned beef and gravy. They'll be with their mom for dinner.

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,138 Thanks
  • 9,617 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 10:34 PM

I've been looking for oysters to make a batch of oyster stew but haven't found any and I'm in NC and you have them in Minnesota!

The local grocer takes orders after Thanksgiving until mid-December. Pints or gallons. We ordered two pints. They also stock them, but it's a coin toss on whether you will get lucky enough to find them on the shelf.

So......for those who haven't tried it:

Two pints of oysters dumped into a large pot with the juice. Warm very slowly until hot, do not boil. Add equal amount (or more) of whole milk. Once again, heat slowly (stirring very often) until hot, do not boil. Kill heat, add 1/4 pound of butter, cover to allow butter to melt, and serve.

When I was a kid, you got one oyster in your bowl. Once an adult, you got three or four. Now I'm in charge of this operation, so we're having two pints of oysters mixed with a half gallon of milk for three people. (My two kids don't like it, and my sister and my niece went home today to beat the ice storm tomorrow) So just my mother, wife and I.

I'd be willing to go back to one oyster per bowl if I could have my family back.

• oldedeeres and JBRamsey have said thanks

#26 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 760 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 10:54 PM

I make do with salmon stew. Three cans of salmon--pick out the bones and skin--gallon of whole milk, can of condensed milk, stick of real butter. Lots of black pepper. Heat it slowly just like your oyster stew recipe. Heat it too fast and you have hot milk with fish. Hard to beat on a cold damp day. My boys love it. They'll eat two or three bowls loaded with crackers.

I don't go back to work until the 3rd. I see a pot of chicken stew and a pot of pinto beans in my future, if I can't get some oysters.