• Bolens 1000, hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 04:54 AM

Looks like a simplified surface grinder, two way motor so it is most likely 3 phase.  be sort of useless in your garage without the correct power. 

Pete

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 2,411 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Looks like a simplified surface grinder, two way motor so it is most likely 3 phase.  be sort of useless in your garage without the correct power. 

Pete

Actually, lots of single-phase motors are reversible, either 110v or 220v.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,797 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 07:27 AM

1. You can get a converter.

2. How do you clamp the blade?

• hamman, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 2,411 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:19 AM

2. How do you clamp the blade?

There is no need to clamp the blade.  .....The blade needs to be moved across the face of the grinding wheel.

Usually, the lower part of the wheel rotates toward the blade, to prevent the blade from being pulled into & under the wheel.   ....That is the reason for the reversible motor direction. 

If you notice in the ad  pics, the left side of the "table" shows that is the side where most of the blades were sharpened.  ....The wheel was probably run in clockwise rotation (looking from the front of the machine).

The crank at the top of the machine adjusts the angle at which the blade is ground. ....It also allows compensation for the change in wheel diameter as the wheel wears.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,456 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 10:14 AM

You are asking the same type of question that I ask myself when considering a tool purchase. You would have to sharpen hundreds of blades for that to pay for itself.  An alternative to that would be a Belsaw Sharpening Machine with all of its attachments. You should be able to pick one up for about the same price. You would then be able to sharpen many tools. I bought a whole shop 30 years ago for $500. It came with 5 machines: 1055 Universal Sharpener, Saw filer, Band Grinder, Chain Sharpener, and a Reel Mower Sharpener. It is handy for all kinds of things but I honestly don't think that it paid for itself. I write it off to having saved time. When figureing cost pay back don't forget that the stones wearout and what they cost. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill 76 said thank you

#8 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 921 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 11:59 AM

In a large shop doing spring tune ups for 49.95 it could be of great value in facilitating high volume. With some thought stops could be fabricated to make identical grinds on both sides of the blade assuring reasonable balance.  Don

• LilysDad and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,797 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 12:36 PM

There is no need to clamp the blade.  .....The blade needs to be moved across the face of the grinding wheel.

I see. I thought it moved horizontally. So, what is it's advantage over a big bench grinder?

#10 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 881 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 12:39 PM

I think the landscapers sharpen their blades daily.  It'd be a bargain compared to paying some guy $15/hour to go at them by hand.

Edited by MiCarl, December 22, 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#11 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,840 Thanks
  • 2,516 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 03:10 PM

In a large shop doing spring tune ups for 49.95 it could be of great value in facilitating high volume. With some thought stops could be fabricated to make identical grinds on both sides of the blade assuring reasonable balance.  Don

Here it $75 for push mowers and $125 for riders included oil change , oil filter , air filter , fuel filter , spark plugs , blade sharpening and minor repairs.

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,092 Thanks
  • 2,807 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Here it $75 for push mowers and $125 for riders included oil change , oil filter , air filter , fuel filter , spark plugs , blade sharpening and minor repairs.

Unless you have a certified JD dealer service your stuff then your looking at up to $500 every spring for a rider.They get $45 an hour + what ever it is for them to come and pick it up and drop it off every spring and the darn thing will sit in there shop there for 2 weeks.I know that's absolutely ridicules but that's what McCoys Lawn and Garden service center charges my neighbor every spring for maintenance.

They replace the battery,sharpen blades,Oil and filter,replace mower belt and last year they flushed and replaced the fluid in the transaxle and drive belt.There mower is a 2004 JD LT160 with just over 300 hours on it. 

If I had a larger shop I wouldn't mind having something like that.Maybe a little smaller though.It will pay for it's self pretty quickly.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 22, 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,819 Thanks
  • 2,411 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 05:46 PM

I see. I thought it moved horizontally. So, what is it's advantage over a big bench grinder?

I may have confused folks with my description. 

The blade is held flat against the table, and moved front-to-back or vice-versa (standing in front of that grinder).

The main advantage over a bench grinder is that the blade is always ground at the same angle.

There are tricks to remove stone nicks before sharpening the edge.

By matching the number of strokes ground on each end of the blade, balance is pretty close, but can then be verified and corrected if necessary.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#14 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,840 Thanks
  • 2,516 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Unless you have a certified JD dealer service your stuff then your looking at up to $500 every spring for a rider.They get $45 an hour + what ever it is for them to come and pick it up and drop it off every spring and the darn thing will sit in there shop there for 2 weeks.I know that's absolutely ridicules but that's what McCoys Lawn and Garden service center charges my neighbor every spring for maintenance.

They replace the battery,sharpen blades,Oil and filter,replace mower belt and last year they flushed and replaced the fluid in the transaxle and drive belt.There mower is a 2004 JD LT160 with just over 300 hours on it. 

If I had a larger shop I wouldn't mind having something like that.Maybe a little smaller though.It will pay for it's self pretty quickly.

I charge $50 a hour and still cheaper than the other shops. But a service only take a hour or less so need to charge all that extra.

#15 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 562 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 07:18 PM

It is not only about sharpening blades but sharpening them correctly and balanced. I have the Oregon version of that and a Magna-matic balancer.           http://magna-matic.c...-balancers.html  I mow with an Exmark zero turn and a John Deere F725. It is important that these blades are sharp and even more important that they are balanced. The speed these things spin will take out spindle bearings fast with unbalanced blades. Well worth the expense in these circumstances as I see it. These are lifetime investments as I see it.

• Cat385B said thank you