Garden Tractor Forums banner

Ford 36" Tiller - Chain lube

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  gksyn 
#1 ·
I am in the process of restoring a 36" tiller for a Ford GT & LGT series tractor, I already have every thing torn down and cleaned, but i am looking for a grease or gear oil for the roller chain that drives the tiller, my dilemma is that the gear box is sealed and uses felt seals to hold the lubricant in, I am unsure of which to use because i feel like if i use gear oil it'll just go right through the seals and if i use grease i dont think it'll lubricate the chain properly, Although when i tore it all down it did have a grease like substance in the case. Not sure if anyone could help me out but any help is much appreciated, Thank you in advanced

Here is a parts list/ diagram of the tiller. http://www.messicks.com/nh/55002

#3 ·
:wave: Welcome to the forum! Here is the owners manual for your tiller. I have one similar, not sure which model it is. When I first got it, I pulled a bolt out of the side and put about a pint of 85-90W gear oil in it. Seemed to quiet the chain drive down. It may have all seeped out by now. Not sure how or what lube these should have as the OM doesn't say anything.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Somewhere on here I rebuilt mine,and posted a photo of the material used and the pail it came in. It is a very thin sticky grease like goop. Maybe Kenny can find it for me? Thanks?

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Somewhere on here I rebuilt mine,and posted a photo of the material used and the pail it came in. It is a very thin sticky grease like goop. Maybe Kenny can find it for me? Thanks?
I'll snoop around.

I looked through your posted threads and could not find anything on the tiller rebuild. Sure it wasn't over at that other place?

#10 ·
Would you be able to post a picture? I am curious to see what it looks like and the felt seals.
I just changed my chain housing on my Ford Tiller, but it called for a 75W-110 or 140 (I forget)

#11 ·
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Machine
Wheel Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper
Working animal Art Personal protective equipment Snout Motor vehicle
Road surface Motor vehicle Automotive tire Waste container Wood
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Nut
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive lighting Wood

Wow thanks everyone for the help and fast responses, I think im going to use the mobilux ep023 that skyrydr2 used on his since our tillers our identical and from the research i have done everything seems to point to that , Now i just need to find where to buy some at haha, and gksyn these are all the picture i have of it right now if you want more let me know

Attachments

#12 ·
Yours looks just like mine. So now I know what to use if I tear mine down.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks the same as mine too. A lot of stuff in there, never knew that, but I have never had mine apart. Good information to have on here.

Noel

I wonder how heavy or summer chainsaw bar oil would work,?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wonder if it's supposed to have oil at all. It seems like the purpose of felt gaskets would be to keep dirt out rather than oil in. Does it have anything that look like fill or drain plugs? I bet the chains and sprockets were originally just lubed with a general purpose grease.

Today you might have better options. There are aerosol cans of lube available for motorcycle chains. I sell and use one called Chain Wax by Maxima. It goes on as a liquid so it wicks in but sets up when the solvent evaporates off. It stays on better than grease and isn't tacky so it won't collect dirt. You might consider trying something like that.

#17 ·
Those units are designed to run in grease hence the felt seals and grease fittings on all the shafts.
They assembled them with grease inside. Mine had a gasket of somekind that was like cardboard paper. I cleaned it off and used solicone sealer upon reassembly.
That goop I used is made just for chaincases and really works good!
You really want to keep these tillers in grease or they will wear out in a short time. Once the chains start loosening its game over..

Reactions: Alc
#18 ·
Wow thanks everyone for the help and fast responses, I think im going to use the mobilux ep023 that skyrydr2 used on his since our tillers our identical and from the research i have done everything seems to point to that , Now i just need to find where to buy some at haha, and gksyn these are all the picture i have of it right now if you want more let me know
Nice job cleaning everything up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.