• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 688 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 10:54 AM

I started with Craftsman in the late 50s so have kept with them. Bought a HF socket sets for work as you could have a tendency to loose one now and then.

• Alc, MFDAC and JohnDeere110 have said thanks

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,725 Thanks
  • 4,447 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Snap On, Blue Point, older Craftsman, Mac, it really depends, I love the old three sided screwdriver handles that Snap On sold for a few years, I've kept mine and replaced the shafts many times.
  • Alc, MFDAC and JohnDeere110 have said thanks

#18 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 569 Thanks
  • 459 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Craftsman since 1973 and a menagerie of others, some good, some not so good. KT that I bent a 9/16 box end. My dads old Lesota. Williams. I do prefer Klein screwdrivers tho. Some of the cheap ones become Airplane wrenches. They fly away when they piss me off cause they don't work properly.

• Alc, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 06:19 AM

Most of my hand tools are Craftsman mixed with cheaper ones that do the job . At work its mostly Snap On and their right ,," there is a difference " . As far as portable power tools I used to but just Craftsman but I'm liking the Dewalt and Porter Cable ones in recent years.
  • MFDAC, tiretrx and JohnDeere110 have said thanks

#20 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,976 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted February 03, 2017 - 05:00 PM

Anything thing cheap with over the counter warranty. My SAE are all 70's Craftsman. 3 sets of metrics i had to buy to outfit my vehicles and tool box all Mastercraft.. (mastercraft likely manufactured on the same island as new craftsman tools

• MFDAC and JohnDeere110 have said thanks

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• Member No: 5815
  • 2,892 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 09:19 PM

I get whatever I can afford at the time and none seem to be junk. For a few years I did auto mechanics for a living 40 years ago and used MAC tools. The ones I had then that weren't lost are still great including a 1/2" drive torque wrench. I have bought a lot of Craftsman through the years, all great except my luck with their ratchets is not good. Thankfully I get no hassles returning them. I have abused the heck out of HF impact sockets, extensions and ratchets with no failures except the little ball spring failed on a 3/8 drive extension once. I'm afraid I like the HF ratchets better than Craftsman. All and all, I've had pretty good luck with most every brand.

DAC

• Alc, Cvans and JohnDeere110 have said thanks

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,959 Thanks
  • 2,595 posts

Posted February 05, 2017 - 10:39 AM

MAC Matco and Crapsman definitely not what they used to be. MAC is the worst about rebadging, rather than making their own.

Williams is actually part of Snap on, what Williams I have I cant tell from Snap on.  Armstrong wrenches are good, Channellock pliers, they actually make them for a lot of the tool truck brands. I take my Crapsman and what lower brands than that, for the junkyard runs and to go work on something in the field or at someone else's house. I have lost so many tools in the yard and at others places that it makes me cringe.  

I don't buy much from the MAC man any more as we went thru 7 years at a time twice with no MAC rep to warranty tools or replace that errant socket that I would lose out of a set.  thats one thing, I have alot of brands of tools but I try to keep my sets all the same; I hate having a single Crapsman socket in a rack of Snap ons for instance.