• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 735 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:28 AM

When I have a fencing job lined up I soak my hammer in a pail of water the night before I plan to use it. My favourite hammer is over 45 years old and I haven't had the head come off yet. It sounds silly, but I find a wooden handle is easier on my hand/arm than a metal or fiberglass one.

Daddy always said if the axe handle gets loose, to soak it in water overnight to tighten it up.
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks

#17 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 729 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Always insert the handle from the small side of the hole or your handle will come loose.

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#18 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,586 Thanks
  • 4,294 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 11:14 AM

I like a wooden handle because it deadens the blow better than fiberglass.
  • boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,790 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I used a 22 oz Estwing framing hammer (still have it but the waffle head is worn flat) back in the late '70's while working as a framing carpenter. The feel was great and back in those days I was able to do the set hit and 2 more with a 16D cc sinker. Now I'm doing pretty good if I can hit the nail square 3 times in a row, and that's about half-way---LOL!

DAC

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Jazz have said thanks

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,919 Thanks
  • 29,740 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 11:18 PM

When I have a fencing job lined up I soak my hammer in a pail of water the night before I plan to use it. My favourite hammer is over 45 years old and I haven't had the head come off yet. It sounds silly, but I find a wooden handle is easier on my hand/arm than a metal or fiberglass one.

If you saved any old fashion green antifreeze, they will never losen up. The glycol soaks into the wood, but doesn't evaporate out.

Edited by KennyP, December 23, 2016 - 05:47 AM.
Fixed phone spelling

• Alc, KennyP, WHdbJD and 1 other said thanks

#21 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 05:53 AM

Learned some tricks in this thread . I'll add one , had a cheap HF 2 1/2 lb hammer that the handle loosened up , I removed the head cleaned it and the wood and used polyurethane glue ( Gorrilla Glue ) this type fills gaps and expands while drying . I'm not sure how well it bonds to the metal but it seems to have enough to keep the head on tight
  • MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#22 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,956 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 08:50 AM

Friend of mine back in the 70's used to use old broken hockey sticks for hammer handles and they seemed to last - not sure if you can still get wood hockey sticks any more.

• Alc said thank you

#23 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,865 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 12:25 PM

I used a 22 oz Estwing framing hammer (still have it but the waffle head is worn flat) back in the late '70's while working as a framing carpenter. The feel was great and back in those days I was able to do the set hit and 2 more with a 16D cc sinker. Now I'm doing pretty good if I can hit the nail square 3 times in a row, and that's about half-way---LOL!

DAC

I used the same hammer when I was building forms for concrete basements in Port Elgin. We used whalers and wedges so the handle of hammer was always being used for prying and you would wear it down. New guys would learn a wooden or fibreglass handle would wear out in a couple weeks....the Estwing could last forever. At that time Estwing was only all steel hammer available around there.

I got my Estwing at a yard sale. The handle was bent so head was offset a tad. Foreman grabbed my hammer to pound a wedge and missed. On closer inspection of hammer he commented "only you could be accurate with a BENT hammer" It was the 70's 

Edited by Jazz, December 23, 2016 - 12:31 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks