Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Junkyard Power King tractor has been earning it's keep.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Completely rebuilding and piecing this tractor together,has turned out to be well worth it! This is the first Economy tractor that I've owned and I'm impressed with it. I will be finishing up the details on it when the weather warms up this spring, but it will be worked hard plowing snow and hauling firewood through the winter. I plowed the place after the last storm, but I have to modify the plow lift linkage slightly to make it work correctly. Today, I cut down a dead cherry tree and hauled the firewood back to the house. The weather looks clear for the foreseeable future, so I'll take advantage of it to get things done. I'll modify the lift lever and make some tire chains out of some spares that I have laying around. The tractor gets good traction now, but it will be no match for the ice on the driveway when it forms. My plow is missing a shoe, but it was like that when I bought it. Luckily member username has new made pairs available, so I bought a pair from him. They look to be very well made, and a bit more stout than the originals. Anyway, so far so good with the old PK. Here's a pic from today. I removed the battery for use in my Allis Big Ten, but the PK starts on one pull of the rope. I will be picking up another battery though, since I'll be mounting headlights. The electric start is nice, too!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161221_132622-1.jpg

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,108 Thanks
  • 7,548 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Neat! Never had old one. Not sure I would like hand brakes. Pull start, what that mean?
  • boyscout862, classic, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 06:45 PM

The hand brakes sure take some getting used to GL. They can even be dangerous on slopes if you run it trouble and need your hands free to steer, shift, etc. They are convenient if you lose traction with one wheel, though. Just lightly apply the brake to the spinning wheel and the other wheel will dig in. That can also be done with individual foot brakes. I will be converting to individual foot brakes in the spring for safety reasons. I use the tractor in hilly areas mostly, so foot brakes are a necessity for me. Pull start, HA! Yup, I keep a rope in my pocket to get it started, but not for long. I'll pick up another battery sometime this week.I'm really liking these old style PK's. Everything is super simple to work on and easy to get to. I think it's about as plain and simple as it gets when it comes to a garden tractor.
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,751 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:23 PM

She looks fairly stout with the rear tires and weights. Looks like it would pull great. Looks great too. Only seen one up close in my
area. Tryed to buy it, but it dissappered from the location, and was told it was going to get restored. Had some implements with it too. Have never seen it since.

Noel
  • boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,567 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Glad you are getting along so well with it.

Didn't know it was gonna be a worker - you have it looking too good to scratch.  :worshippy1:

• boyscout862, classic and MNGB have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:45 PM

PK's do come up often for sale in this area, and usually the prices aren't to bad on them, either. One thing to keep in mind is that although the price may be good, parts my be worn and need to be rebuilt or replaced. My intention was to build a tractor back to as close to new as possible, since I need to rely on it on a regular basis. Since it was only half of a tractor when I bought it, it was the perfect candidate to rebuild with parts that I could find and adapt. It took parts from different year PK's to build this tractor, so I didn't feel like I was ruining a piece of tractor history in the process. I did want it to look good when finished, and the fresh paint protects the metal and makes it easy to keep clean. I'm already stocking spare parts, since I plan on using the PK regularly,and for a very long time. I don't really see myself needing anything else other than this PK for hauling firewood and plowing snow, so it only makes sense to keep up on it. Future plans are to add a hydraulic lift when I get the chance, but for now, the manual lift will have to do. I think the bigger back tires are a good improvement over the stock size, and this tread design with deep lugs really bite in good. I thought that the 9hp Briggs might not be enough, but I had no problems hauling and plowing uphill, as far as power goes. All I can say is that spending the time and money on rebuilding everything has been well worth the effort. I would hate to see the price tag on a new tractor made today that would be comparable to these old tractors.
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,569 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hi, great report classic I knew you would like it once you got to working it, I find it amazing how easy and good the old B&S model 23 starts and runs, mine generally starts on the first pull if I get to the choke in time and it runs smooth. Hope you get the chains made while its a bit nicer.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Thanks GB! You sure we're right when you told me that I would like it. You can't beat simple when you have to fix or maintain something. I can never make it to the choke fast enough after that first pull since my choke is on the dash, heh! It always goes on the second pull when cold, and it always goes on the first pull when warm, though. It won't take long to make up the chains. I'm just going to splice together sections from two sets of chains that I have. They came from some old tractors that I picked up in the past, and I just hung them on the shed wall. I'll just weld the links back together when I get the length I need. While I'm using the welder, I'll ad a piece of flat stock to the bottom of my lift lever, so that my lift linkage works as it should. I'll be ready for the next storm for sure, then!
  • KennyP, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Glad you were able to save it and get it going. You have a right to be very proud of your accomplishment! There's just something about taking a pile of parts and making something out of it!

• classic, MNGB and BigF30 have said thanks

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Kenny! At times, I felt like there was so much to be done and that I would never get it going. Piece by piece, day by day, and now it's a working machine. It sure is gratifying to finally put this tractor to use! I'm already working on another tractor project to keep me busy over the winter.
  • KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Kenny! At times, I felt like there was so much to be done and that I would never get it going. Piece by piece, day by day, and now it's a working machine. It sure is gratifying to finally put this tractor to use! I'm already working on another tractor project to keep me busy over the winter.

That's the feeling I had when I got Alice going. I'm glad I did that one!

• classic and MNGB have said thanks

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Alice was a great build, Kenny. Are you planning to add anything or make changes to that tractor at all?
  • MNGB said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Been doing some things. Changed the lift cylinder location so it was using the piston end for lifting. Got the 2-spool valve rebuilt and working. Now I can add a second cylinder some where. Added tail lights and the canopy when needed. Gonna have to tear it down for repaint  with all I have done at the back end. No telling what else I'll come up with. LOL I just know it has matched my expectations!

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,666 Thanks
  • 2,060 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Glad to hear that you are happy with your results, Kenny. You did a ton of fabrication work on that tractor and it really turned out well. Having hydraulics is a big bonus and worth the effort it takes to install one. I think I'm going to use a two spool valve when I finally get to adding a hydraulic system. I'd like to add a piston to the plow so that it power angles. It's a heck of a lot more convenient than the manual set up. I've tossed around the idea of putting a cab on the PK, but I haven't made a decision yet. I have an old Sims cab with a steel roof, glass windshield, and windshield wiper, that I could adapt to the PK. I would have to fab up the frame work to mount it, and make doors and a back panel, too. With the steering wheel off to the side of the machine on the PK, it may make it a bit harder to adapt this cab and make it work. It sure would be nice to have in the winter, though!
  • KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 09:41 AM

I will recommend the 2-spool OMCO valve found on most MF, Snapper, and some WH tractors. Very simple to put new seals in, especially since ducky found the part #'s for them. It's all in here.