#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 323 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Picked up a little MF8 Hydra Speed a few days ago. I've had over 50 tractors by now but I started with little Masseys. A 7 and an 8H were the first two I ever owned and couldn't pass this up when I saw it, especially with the little MF weights.
b414b866ecaaa18b25528a8f335a04c6.jpg1cbe60c6b918635e1003545cf7432c4b.jpg
I spent the first night blowing the leaves and mouse nests out of it and spraying penetrating oil on the moving parts. It had been sitting outside for who knows how long. Got most everything freed up and moving but the motor wouldn't turn over with the key switch. Got the test light out and found the fuselink bad. A new fuse didn't fix it and the safety switches have been disabled so I'll be trying a couple other things eventually.
4f59374cb4f6b09cb994b6294ba2feb9.jpgb26b57c2a255ce2f8c40664550f5e090.jpg
I spent some time straightening the grill and the fender pan, replaced all the tires and got back to the engine. It spun over with power directly to the starter and sounded healthy but no spark. Unhooked the mag ground wire but didn't help. Next I pulled the flywheel to check the points. Filed them lightly and then had spark. I was able to get it to fire and run on carb cleaner. I cleaned up the carb, hooked up a temporary gas tank and drove it a bit. Don't have throttle linkage hooked up yet and I powered out at an idle but everything seemed to work well.
3f7f10fa8da193ff33d2e2b08103fbb1.jpg
Overall it's really straight and original. The worst part is the tin with holes being drilled in the hood for the radio and the fenders being banged up. I may put some more time into making those nicer but plan to leave it as original as possible. There are a few very small things I'm missing if anyone out there would have some parts laying around. I need the pto belt guide, the hood latch knob and the choke cable clamp that screws to the intake.

My first 8 hydro must have been older as it had the three spoke steering wheel and a solid mounted engine. I don't see near as many of these as the gear drive model and don't believe I've ever seen a 7 hydro.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by RAJ, December 21, 2016 - 08:18 PM.

• DMAX, Gtractor, limebuzz and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,122 Thanks
  • 44,141 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 06:15 PM

That's a cute little guy!

• RAJ said thank you

#3 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 953 Thanks
  • 942 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Nice little machine.Is that a factory radio? Lol. Good to hear it didn't take much to get her running again. Sweet set of AG's and weights on it too.
  • RAJ said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,370 Thanks
  • 7,753 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Yep, radio had to go. Thought was just setting on there in pix. I didn't know little ones could be hydro. That seat looks pretty good, most are torn or just gone and metal pan left. Guess not Hi-tech ignition then, better!
  • RAJ said thank you

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Are the weights MF originals?? Nice tractor. Never heard of those weights. That's great you got a set.

Noel.
  • RAJ and limebuzz have said thanks

#6 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 323 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Are the weights MF originals?? Nice tractor. Never heard of those weights. That's great you got a set.

Noel.

Yes, the weights are an original MF option. They look to have actually been cast by a Massey foundry in Canada. I think they weigh about 20lbs. They use special lug studs for the weights to bolt to. I had another set of weights but sold them when I got rid of my last little Massey. Not real common to see but they are out there. I had original MF hubcaps on my first MF8 H too and they will actually fit over the weight. Wish I would've kept the hubcaps. Never seen another set.

• MFDAC, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:09 PM

That's neat. I'll be on the lookout for a set of those, but not popular in my area. I have one working MF 7 and two non working ones.

Noel
  • RAJ said thank you

#8 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 323 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Yep, radio had to go. Thought was just setting on there in pix. I didn't know little ones could be hydro. That seat looks pretty good, most are torn or just gone and metal pan left. Guess not Hi-tech ignition then, better!

I don't know how you could even hear a radio while mowing... The little 8 hydro seems to be much less common than the gear, although it does appear they made over 8000 of them with a serial number range of 500001 thru 508960 from '72-75. Far from rare but many must not have survived beyond the relatively short life of a Tecumseh engine.

The seat it came with was decent but not original either. I had a nice seat from a Snapper that was a direct fit and looks nice, especially since Massey and Snapper had history, and are even still both made by Simplicity (aka Briggs & Stratton).

Edited by RAJ, December 22, 2016 - 10:13 AM.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 323 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted December 22, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Did a little more tinkering today. The key switch or solenoid was sticky. I tried cranking it a few more times and everything started working fine. Looks like carb work is mostly what it needs. The throttle and choke cables must've been replaced also as both of them are too short to be hooked up properly. It's coming together though. I put all the sheet metal back on and it looks like a tractor again.
8b6fc019c3d57356bd59d845b014aaec.jpg98ebfc4b0589fcd958dc47b8450da168.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • DMAX, limebuzz, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 238 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 02:38 PM

Nice looking MF 8 H, Would be a match to mine! Good job getting it running and moving. I had a lot of carb and governor issues.

I always thought AG tires would look good. I just got in a hurry and put lawn tread on.

Your nose cone, and dash look good. Rest of sheet metal looks good to. You can patch that hood with a washer welded in place.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, January 06, 2017 - 02:42 PM.

• RAJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 323 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 10:03 AM

Nice looking MF 8 H, Would be a match to mine! Good job getting it running and moving. I had a lot of carb and governor issues.

I always thought AG tires would look good. I just got in a hurry and put lawn tread on.

Your nose cone, and dash look good. Rest of sheet metal looks good to. You can patch that hood with a washer welded in place.

Regards,

Chris

I've got so many other projects going, I haven't done much with it lately. I do need to finish cleaning the carb and fix the throttle and governor linkage. Was considering buying a new aftermarket carb since they're around the same price as a rebuild kit. The best part of the tractor is that all the plastic is in good shape, and the hood is straight so the holes could be filled in like you said. The fenders will need some welding too if it comes to that.

If anyone might have some small parts available (gas tank, choke cable clamp, belt guide) let me know.

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,261 posts

Posted January 30, 2017 - 09:12 AM

I agree amazing the sheet metal & nose gone are in good shape. This is my first time seeing the hydro model too. I have a MF12 H stored in boxes...inspiring me to get it out to finish.
  • RAJ said thank you

#13 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 238 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted January 30, 2017 - 09:36 PM

This is approximately what they should look like. A fun little tractor to drive. Maybe some incentive too?:)

DSC06132.jpg

Regards,

Chris

• RAJ, limebuzz and Sawdust have said thanks