• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 951 Thanks
  • 725 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 02:37 PM

ok this all started when i was out plowing snow. the thing was running like a raped ape then all the sudden the exaust sounded funny, and a little black smoke came out of it. i took it to the shop and most of my compression was gone! first thought was a head gasket so i started to tear it apart.by the time i got the head off i had most of the tractor stripped from the back of the engine to the dash. roper must have thought the tray that the gas tank and battery sits on had to be bolted to the head.there is not enough room to get the head off without taking tray out. anyway i am replacing the fuel line that was soft,you couldnt get the gas tank off if you just needed to replace fuel line,roper put the damn tank strap bolts under the tray where you cant get to them. what a pain in the a*s. lol.lost a lot of blood but i will call it on the job training.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,989 Thanks
  • 8,776 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 03:07 PM

All projects take a bit of blood, sweat, and tears. When working on cars in the late 60s and 70s we just called the bad designs"made in Detroit by idiots". Like when you had to unbolt a fender to change a heater core. Is it a bad headgasket? Good Luck, Rick
  • Xrperry said thank you

#3 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 951 Thanks
  • 725 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM

not sure yet dont have it together but valves looked good, cylinder in great shape did have a few loose head bolts hope it fixes the problem. there was lots of carbon in it, maybe got some under exaust valve not sure what happend

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,872 Thanks
  • 988 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 05:17 PM

not sure yet dont have it together but valves looked good, cylinder in great shape did have a few loose head bolts hope it fixes the problem. there was lots of carbon in it, maybe got some under exaust valve not sure what happend

Few lose head bolts will do it , there went all your compression. Do yourself a favor and get new head bolts and resurface the head before you reassemble it. I had an issue with a head gasket sealing even after a new gasket, So I had to pull the head back off resurface the head and replace the gasket again. Although mine was running it was spitting oil though the head bolts. 

• boyscout862, Xrperry and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I agree ....Those like to warp where the exhaust side is. I would flat sand it before I reinstalled it.
  • boyscout862 and Xrperry have said thanks

#6 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 951 Thanks
  • 725 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Will do, thanks for advice everybody. One good thing, I was the first to have this thing apart, she is not a Virgin anymore. Lmao. By the way, got out of shower and only counted 13 cuts and missing skin spots on my hands,hell I think I did pretty good LOL
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#7 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,103 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Do it on a piece of glass if you have one.
  • Xrperry said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,777 Thanks
  • 4,766 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:38 PM

My first Suburban 12 had a "blown engine" when I bought it according to the seller.  Picked it up on the cheap.

I decided I'd take the head off and see what the cylinder looked like.  Got a socket, short extension, and rachet.  The head bolts weren't even tight.  After putting the socket on the first 3 with no resistance, I unscrewed the rest of the head bolts just using my fingers.

Looked great inside. De-carboned the cylinder and head.  Gasket wasn't blown at all so I put it back together.  Torqued the bolts correctly. Fired up and ran pretty good - still had the Tecumseh carb.  :(

Ran just a short while and the bolts backed out again.  Swoosh, swoosh, swoosh and it died.  Told my dad what it did and that I was gonna pick up some Loc-Tite for the threads next time I went to town.  Dad said You don't need Loc-Tite.  The washers under the head bolts have lost their "cup".  He told me what to look for and if the washers were flat to put them on top of a slightly opened vise and smack them with a ball peen hammer.  Then turn 1/4 turn and repeat so there is a nice cup to the washers.  He said to install them with the rim touching the head and the high spot by the hole touching the bolt.  I did just like he said using the same old head bolts and same old gasket without surfacing the head.  That was 2003.  To this day they are still holding.  No Loc-Tite. 

Best of luck!  :wave:

https://en.wikipedia...lleville_washer

• KennyP, boyscout862, H. M. Murdock and 2 others have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,860 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 09:47 PM

My father had a Dodge Ram 50 with a Mitsubishi engine in it years ago, and it blew a head gasket at 30,000 miles. Part of the head gasket pushed in from the water jacket into the cylinder. I noticed that some of the head bolts were fairly loose when I removed the head. We had the head milled, and I installed it with a new head gasket. I told my Dad to drive it to work the next day, and I that I would check the head bolt torque when he got home and the engine cooled. Sure enough, some of the head bolts lost more than 25 ft. lbs. of torque. I torqued them all back down plus an extra 5 lbs. The engine was still running fine when the truck was finally scrapped due to a rotted frame, many years later.
That's a good thing that your Dad taught you with the head bolt washers, Gtractor. It sure did the trick!
  • Gtractor, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks