6 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:45 AM

im working on a GT II 6000 "garden tractor"(it says garden tractor but i dont think it will handle ground engaging attachments). the belt keeps coming off of the mule drive for the deck. its getting on my last nerve. i had to repair the steering, thats done. the last issue is the belt. i had the correct spring on the idler pulley. what gives. the belt is also correct belt for the tractor but i dont know if its stretched. the belt does fit on the inside of the draft plate i presume? it looks like the belt rubs the one side of the draft plate and this just doesnt seem right.

this tractor calls itself a garden tractor but i dont think it is a true garden tractor since it has an aluminum trans axle. it has a horizontal kohler magnum 18 hp twin.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 05:25 PM

It will pull a 10 inch moldboard plow no issue.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 06:28 PM

How old is the belt?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Don't underestimate that tractor. I have a newer GT5000 and a late 80's GT6000. Both are capable machines. These are both vertical shaft engines, you is probably between mine and the last of the suburban branded units.

As for the mule drive... I think thats the piece up front that turns the belt around, and then sideways for the deck? Check for any slop in either of the 2 pullies, or any of the ones underneath. That can really mess things up. Also, because of the way the belt comes into the deck pulley, it will wear more one one side. Flip the belt over and try it again if all the idlers look good.

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:44 PM

(it says garden tractor but i dont think it will handle ground engaging attachments)

this tractor calls itself a garden tractor but i dont think it is a true garden tractor since it has an aluminum trans axle. it has a horizontal kohler magnum 18 hp twin.

Au contraire!!!! That GT6000 will surprise you! I have a 1994 GT6000 hydro, wouldn't put it at the top of the heap, but it's far from incapable. It'll do nicely with a 10" Brinly moldboard plough. I have several years and LOTS of pictures that can attest to it's usefulness in a large garden. Get your belt problem fixed, then give yours a chance to show you what it can do.

#6 gonuts OFFLINE  

gonuts

• Member No: 3875
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Could be as simple a streached belt or adjust the deck length/height...gonuts

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:15 PM

I'm gonna go with idler or drive pulley bearings / bushings. if the pulley rides just a little off kilter, it will amaze you what can happen. As MH81 said above, pull the belts off and check all the pulleys for slop.