• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,542 Thanks
  • 1,120 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Hi all, figured since I declared the 1949 Economy (Old 49) finished I'd start a new thread we all know that your never really finished with a project until its sold or put out of sight any way there was a couple of personal touches that I wanted to add, when this tractor was new in 1949, there were no foot rests and this tractor sit high and is hard to get on & off so I fabricated a RH foot rest and a step to get on & off the little beast, but that still left no LH foot rest so looking at it and trying to get a idea of how to install a foot rest, one thing I do not like to do is drill holes in frames etc to attach things. Well after looking at the problem I got an idea to remove the step extend it to a bracket that attaches to the middle draw bar attach bolt and that is going to work.

HPIM1360.JPG HPIM1361.JPG HPIM1362.JPG HPIM1363.JPG

• Gtractor, tractorgarden, Traill95 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,824 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:49 PM

That should work out nicely

• MNGB said thank you

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,182 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 07:00 AM

I like the step BUT that is slippery for putting weight on to step off. Be careful. Meathead used long polished piece of that as step for a clean look on his big truck. He tore his rotator cuff.  Ideally a piece of step off big truck fuel tank. Keep a eye out at scrapyard

Freightliner_Aluminum_Replacement_Step_A

Edited by Jazz, December 21, 2016 - 07:05 AM.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,935 Thanks
  • 2,232 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Looks good - another option might be to glue or bolt a piece of ribbed rubber matting (like this - http://www.canadiant...81203p.html#srp) on to the plates you made to make them less slippery - just a suggestion.

• MNGB said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,550 Thanks
  • 4,682 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Neat idea and nice fab work. Diamond plate is often used as a safety surface. It just won't clean the bottom of your shoe like a truck step.
  • MNGB said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,643 Thanks
  • 2,053 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 11:31 AM

It's good to have another place to put your feet on the Economy tractors without the tin work on them. I put my feet on top of the frame rails since it's the only place to put them. It's actually ok, but I'm thinking about installing some small foot rests in the future. I'm looking at footrests from either a Cub Cadet Original from the early 60's, or from a '67 Sears Suburban 12. I would make brackets that clamp to the frame to mount them, since drilling holes in the frame is not a good idea, as you mentioned GB. Your footrests look good, and the big step will surely make it easier to get on and off of the machine. If you find yourself slipping on the diamond plate, you could always drill a bunch of holes evenly spaced, and install a bunch of short zip screws for more traction.
  • KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,542 Thanks
  • 1,120 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hi all, well today I remove the small aftermarket steering wheel that I installed to get the tractor up and drivable while watching for an Economy  steering wheel, finally a steering wheel came up on e bay and I bought it had to modify the steering shaft as the original had a keyed tapered shaft and the steering wheel has a splined hub the mod was to get a splined shaft and cut it off 6" at the splined end cut the original likewise then jointed the two parts reinstalled the outer tube and then the Economy steering wheel it now looks original and steers great.

HPIM1542.JPG HPIM1543.JPG HPIM1544.JPG HPIM1545.JPG HPIM1546.JPG

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, Cjet69 and 1 other said thanks