• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yesterday I needed to get a new soldering gun. I use to be loyal to Weller , Weller use to be loyal to U.S.A.. When I replaced my first Weller D550, with one of the same model I noticed that my old one was made in the U.S.A. and the replacement I got was now made in China. So I ventured out to find a soldering gun that is made in the U.S.A. 

I found one yesterday called a Wall Lenk , at first glance it looked like a toy, it has a yellow casing and is much smaller then the Weller's that I have always got. Well let me tell ya this is a 90w gun that packs a mean punch. The D550 that I am use to using is 200/260 W , but after spending the whole day using this Wall Lenk LG2000 , I won't ever miss the Wellers. 

I almost put this back on the shelf because I did not have faith it was going to be able to handle my task after all 200/260 watt to 90 watt just seemed weak. I am glad it had a label on it that said "made in the U.S.A. because thats why I bought it. I figured that even if its junk I'll be helping the economy plus I needed a soldering gun. 

The only thing I miss is that this lenk does not have a light , not that I do a lot of soldering in the dark or anything, but the little light does help at times. 

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,589 Thanks
  • 4,296 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:08 AM

I use this one, I've had mine for over 35 years. They still make it.

https://store.snapon...-W-P636515.aspx

Edited by toppop52, December 20, 2016 - 10:08 AM.

• Alc, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:24 AM

I have the Weller D550 I bought 46 years ago and it's still going strong. I believe a lot of soldering gun owners don't realize when it doesn't heat or heats slowly that the cause is due to corrosion of the tip where it makes contact under the compression nuts. After heating and cooling so many times the copper oxidizes on it's surface creating a high resistance coating. Usually all that's needed is to loosen the nuts and retighten them. In some cases removal and some filing is required to expose the clean copper at the contact points.

Mike

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:35 AM

I use this one, I've had mine for over 35 years. They still make it.

https://store.snapon...-W-P636515.aspx

Yeah they had this one to http://www.wlenk.com...dering-Gun.html  but I wanted something smaller. 

This is the one I got http://www.wlenk.com...ng-Gun-Kit.html  39.00 and is compact light weight , get super hot super fast , nothing fancy but solders like a soldering gun should, in my opinion better then the higher end weller d550. 

I was almost considering their pen because I wanted a smaller one, but opted for the trigger for the off and on because there are times I don't want a pen sitting there hot. 

For 39.00 though I think its one of the better guns that I have used.

• KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:41 AM

I have the Weller D550 I bought 46 years ago and it's still going strong. I believe a lot of soldering gun owners don't realize when it doesn't heat or heats slowly that the cause is due to corrosion of the tip where it makes contact under the compression nuts. After heating and cooling so many times the copper oxidizes on it's surface creating a high resistance coating. Usually all that's needed is to loosen the nuts and retighten them. In some cases removal and some filing is required to expose the clean copper at the contact points.

Mike

I agree, but my 2nd weller the china one....just cut out dead, nothing at the trigger not even a hum, my first one the U.S.A. model I had when I was a kid and had it for about 20 years Id say , the plastic was melted it was very beat up but still working just wanted a new one so thought by buying the d550 again it would be a good thing. maybe I just got a bad one but wanted to try something new this time, my kids were using my china d550 alot though we were into RC cars for awhile and they were constantly trying new things and swapping out motors, so I really can't complain about that one, I do like this lil yellow one though much nicer to use for long periods of time. got to admit the D550 gets heavy on your trigger finger after awhile. 

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:49 AM

I went from the gun type, to the kind that looks like a screwdriver. I got a 3M one that is made in the USA and I like it better than the Weller I was using.

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, John, it seems more often than not that anything AC powered and made in china will leak out the smoke sooner than the same product that was made in the USA. I guess our throwaway society just accepts this as the "new normal".

Mike 

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#8 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 231 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I usually look at it as 

China made will stand up to being used. USA made will survive being abused.

I work in the heavy equipment industry and have alot of opportunities to compare USA made to China made tools.  It always seems like a rating on a China tool is its absolute maximum. Where USA stuff usually has a generous safety factor that allows the tool to perform above its rating.

That being said. I usually prefer a soldering pen. But my first time learning to solder was an electronics class in high school. Where we were building our own circuit boards.

Edited by BigFlash, December 20, 2016 - 04:56 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#9 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,589 Thanks
  • 4,296 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Shaky as my hands are now, anything resembling fine soldering is a challenge and a pen would suit 90% of what I do.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,149 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 09:37 PM

I had my Dad's old Weller, then later bought another one, a little smaller. Then in recent times could not find place with those tips that bend and clamp in the guns. I have a Wen now, probly Chinese, but seems to be still working and is older.  I prefer a gun, easier to hold and can shut it off between the uses. Worst part is waiting for the tip to get hot enough to start. That is where the bigger amps are better I think.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,061 Thanks
  • 30,460 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:24 PM

I have a Wall Lenk 400/150 and absolutely love it!  

• MH81 said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,933 Thanks
  • 29,752 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:24 PM

I used to have one of those wellers. Best unit out at the time.
We also had two of the teal pencil sets. Mine is still running, but we had to replace Ryan's with a unit we got on sale at Radio Shack.

The trigger gun is nice to have. I keep meaning to get another. Thanks for the tip on the made in America unit.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,589 Thanks
  • 4,296 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 11:14 AM

I used to have one of those wellers. Best unit out at the time.
We also had two of the teal pencil sets. Mine is still running, but we had to replace Ryan's with a unit we got on sale at Radio Shack.

The trigger gun is nice to have. I keep meaning to get another. Thanks for the tip on the made in America unit.

Not sure which unit you were referring to, the Snap-On is American made as well.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,878 Thanks
  • 1,251 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 11:35 AM

I had my Dad's old Weller, then later bought another one, a little smaller. Then in recent times could not find place with those tips that bend and clamp in the guns. I have a Wen now, probly Chinese, but seems to be still working and is older.  I prefer a gun, easier to hold and can shut it off between the uses. Worst part is waiting for the tip to get hot enough to start. That is where the bigger amps are better I think.

I found replacement tips for the weller guns at the local farm store in the plumbing section around the LP torch kits

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks