• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 01:14 AM

Hi ya'll. Found a new problem with my Gilson made 1988 Ford LGT 18H. The drive line, which I've heard was a weak part of these tractors has done just that. I was cleaning it in a parts washer and one of the cross bearings virtually fell apart and the other one feels pretty rough. I can see Weasler on the yokes but can't really make out any numbers on it.

I've looked in Weaslers current product line and can't find anything that measures even close to the size these are. I called their tech support and got a "huh?". Spent a lot of time google searching u joints and can't find any part numbers for the cross bearings they used to make these.

Found a few threads of guys making their own but dang expensive. Anyone run into this problem? Anyone known the part number for the cross bearings and where to get them? Anything would help. Thanks
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 3,363 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 04:13 AM

Your much better off replacing them with larger joints. Yup it involves some cutting and welding and a little machining to fit the cooling fan on a new joint yoke end. But it will last for ever afterwards..
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,210 Thanks
  • 43,326 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 05:09 AM

NH is very proud of that drive line, $500+. Hope you can find parts for it.

• Alc, Firemang and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Like skyrydr2 said, take to any farm repair welding shop and have them build you a complete new joint with standard parts.

• boyscout862 and Firemang have said thanks

#5 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• Member No: 4033
  • 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I had the same issue a few years ago on mine. I had used/misused it for years and the U-joint got sloppy and came apart one day. I checked with the local Ford New Holland dealer and found out exactly how proud they were of that particular item. Being fiscally conservative, I went elsewhere. I found the same shaft/U-joint at the local TSC store in a 48" length. All it needed was a little trimming with the hacksaw to make it exactly the same measurement as the original. I would suspect they sell those in other lengths but that was all they had when I was there. It is still under there and working fine to this day.

• boyscout862 and Firemang have said thanks

#6 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 172 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 02:00 PM

It's like these U-joints/Yokes came from another planet!  Nobody (not even Weasler) can tell me what series these are!  I've scoured both their North American book and their Metric book and the only two that come remotely close are the "W" series, and the 7 series but neither is an exact match.  The yokes are 1 7/8" wide, the block on the cross is 1 1/6", and the pins (its a pin and block style cross bearing) are either 9/16" or 5/8" depending on which part you measure.  I've seen threads where guys have built their own using the Weasler series 6 stuff and I know I need to go heavier, but not in the budget right now.  I'd really just like to put in new cross bearings for now to get me running again and save the new driveline fabrication for NEXT winter.  Unless someone can tell me what style these are I think I'm hosed :wallbanging:

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 172 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 02:01 PM

I had the same issue a few years ago on mine. I had used/misused it for years and the U-joint got sloppy and came apart one day. I checked with the local Ford New Holland dealer and found out exactly how proud they were of that particular item. Being fiscally conservative, I went elsewhere. I found the same shaft/U-joint at the local TSC store in a 48" length. All it needed was a little trimming with the hacksaw to make it exactly the same measurement as the original. I would suspect they sell those in other lengths but that was all they had when I was there. It is still under there and working fine to this day.

You talking Tractor Supply Company?  Would you happen to remember the part number?

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 172 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 02:02 PM

NH is very proud of that drive line, $500+. Hope you can find parts for it.

I can get a brand spanking new one from Messicks but to the tune of $850.00!

#9 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 172 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 04:16 PM

Been burning up google all morning and the more and more I look the more I'm convinced these are Series W u-joints.  I think my measurements might be a little off from wear on the cross and bearing.  I might try to locate these and give them a shot.

#10 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• Member No: 4033
  • 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 04:42 AM

You talking Tractor Supply Company? Would you happen to remember the part number?

Sorry I don't recall a part number. I had about given up on getting one due to the price when I ran across this one. I do recall that it was far cheaper than what the dealer wanted. Yes at Tractor Supply Company or Bucheit Farm Supply. At the time those were the only stores I went to.

Edited by blacktruck, December 31, 2016 - 04:45 AM.