• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • Member No: 85478
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 12:05 PM

Does anyone out there have a replica of a Ford 8N?

At my request, poppyshoppe hubby is starting on an 8N garden tractor.  I have big plans for the 8N and a hay wagon.  Of course, my touch will be making small bales of hay.

While his MF7 is being painted, he's been making the grill for the 8N.  The "grill"  that came with the kit was just decals, so he's been making a "real" one.  

We have the kit, got the tires ordered, and all you cub owners will not appreciate what we are doing a cub that I found  on Craigslist (of course).

I find the projects, he does the work, and I do the financing on eBay.  The more I sell, the faster it gets completed.   

• Bruce Dorsi, skyrydr2, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,903 Thanks
  • 1,270 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 12:30 PM

Are you referring to a Cub Cadet or the Farmall Cubs? next question.. if you are talking about a Cub Cadet, is it the old 60's- 70's style or the new MTD made junk?

I have seen some good ones and some that look like a waste of time. For me the key is the back tire/ fender/ seat ratio. To get that right, it needs wheel spacers to make room for the seat to fit between the fenders, taller rear tires and tall skinny front tires. Anything else just looks like a riding mower with an aftermarket hood, but that is my opinion.

This is what I would consider a good build. (IMG stolen from MTF on a google search)

MiniN

...and this is not so good, and unfortunately a pic from the company that sells the kits
mini1

Edited by tater195, December 19, 2016 - 12:49 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 6 others have said thanks

#3 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 02:02 PM

You right about one thing for sure.  That second pic looks like a project gone very, very, very wrong.

We are starting with Cub Cadet 106 that has the narrow frame.  Front tires using the 3.50 X 8" ribbed.  Back tires and wheels are still under consideration.  If you scale down the 8N rear wheels to garden tractor size, it makes the tires extremely skinny.

The grill in the first photo, I believe, used the grill decals that come with the kit.  Hubby has made a grill.  He said he just couldn't put those cheap things on it.  The original 8N kit didn't contain the dash tower, but we got one (at more $$$$$$).

Which seat to use is also  in consideration.  We bought an 8N seat (eBay, of course) and I think it looks too big.    

We been searching for a chassis for the hay wagon.  Found one on Northwoods, so that is under discussion too. More $$$$$$$

I need to get off here and list more on eBay.  It sure is easier to spend money than to earn it

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,903 Thanks
  • 1,270 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 02:26 PM

Look on ebay for repop steel tractor seats. I bought a bunch (10) for around $6 a piece. I think they are 12-14" wide

.**edit** they are 14x18***

The GT hole pattern is 5 on 4.5 and will cross to many car and some truck wheels. I dont think anything smaller than a 15" wheel would look right on the 106. You will probably end up not using the rear fender pan and may be able to drop the seat 3 or 4" if the shifter can be modified. 

Edited by tater195, December 19, 2016 - 02:39 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#5 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 957 Thanks
  • 652 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 02:38 PM

They used to make 3/4 metal seats In the day,I've saved a couple so their out their,I think they were made for women and children,pics if you need

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 03:19 PM

This mini  was for sale a few years back, I saved the pics. Made out of a Sears Suburban, pretty sure it was a kit from somewhere. Guy was up near the Kentucky racetrack.

mini 8n 1.jpg

mini 8n 2.jpg

mini 8n 3.jpg

mini 8n 4.jpg

mini 8n 5.jpg

mini 8n 6.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,489 Thanks
  • 4,647 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 04:43 PM

The problem with the 8N kit is they were designed for small lawn tractors, not garden tractors. It throws everything out of proportion and requires a lot of work to make it look right if you are trying to put that kit on a garden tractor.

For me, it'd be a gobb and a bunch easier to make the hood and fenders from scratch if I was making an 8N on a garden tractor chassis.   

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,049 Thanks
  • 9,089 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 06:19 PM

You might take a look at the steel seats that were used on Wheel Horses back in the 50s-early 60s.

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,182 Thanks
  • 4,573 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Does anyone out there have a replica of a Ford 8N?

Take a look here...http://www.cubcadetm.../09/pictures-9/

#10 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 314 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 09:46 PM

I found an old card that has this http://www.awesomehenry.com/gtkits/ , the site still comes up so it may be good. The basic site is www.awesomehenry.com

#11 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 314 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Sorry, forgot to include that this place  http://www.awesomehenry.com/gtkits/ is in Maplewood Ohio.

• karel said thank you

#12 ritamiller OFFLINE  

ritamiller
  • 128 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 19, 2016 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info.  Our kit came from Awesome Henry.  Hubby does all the work and he will  be looking at your suggestions.  That technical stuff is way above my head.    

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,706 Thanks
  • 43,747 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 05:28 AM

A pair of those fenders would have looked good on Alice! One thing I see looking at the front of these is the front tires seem too close together and need to be skinnier. Back tires need set out further too. Hard to do with a GT.

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,903 Thanks
  • 1,270 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 08:28 AM

The one Tahoe posted had a peerless 633 with stretched axles and looks good, but not sure how much it could carry on a 3ph without bending the tubes. I guess it was build more for show than go

#15 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 753 posts

Posted December 20, 2016 - 10:32 AM

How about a steel seat from a Suburban? Personally I wouldn't worry about having a seat to scale. It's not like my butt will shrink because it is sitting on a miniature 8N.
  • Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks