Got a little problem...Traction needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 05:57 AM

Well, we have been tearing out our sod in our back yard and I have been using my Simplicity 2012 to help out. I put the blade on for the first time and have been using it to push dirt around, well "trying" to use it anyway. In our wet, sticky mud I get zero pushing power. I don't really want to buy new tires for this tractor and I am wondering what else might help in this case. I thought about weight but it seems that might be worse(?) in this sticky mud. Any ideas would be appreciated and I will take some muddy pics tonight.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,722 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 06:59 AM

The best thing would probably be ags, but chains will be a close second. With either tire, weight is your friend. Goal is to keep from spinning and making things muckier. On that Simplicity, it wouldn't be out of line to start with 50# per wheel. If that's not enough, try filling the tires too.

Weight won't do much without the chains or ags, you need something to bite with, turf tires will just spin, and the end result could be rear end damage, etc. (the tractor's, not yours) :D
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:29 AM

Rear end damage could affect both. Wallet might get thinner. LOL

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Last winter when I got my 318, I was greatly disapointed in it's lack of traction with the snowblower mounted. And it had wheel weights.
But totally amazed at the improvement a set of Chains, $54.00 at Tractor Supply.
I have since pulled a 5' Harrow on wet hills with the chains. It will tear up sod if the wheels spin, but you said you were tearing it up anyway.
A friend was telling me Monday, he is running Chains on his 21 HP Murray year round, even for mowing.
I think you will get the most bang for the buck with chains and weight to suit from there.
If I remember correctly Your Simplicity has a limited slip differential?

I have some steep hills on my property and am seriously considering mounting the chains on my Murray 22hp to back up the 318.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 11:58 AM

Like has been said, weight and chains with turf tires or just ag tires would be your biggest help. That and waiting for it to dry out some. If you go in there when it is really soupy the extra weight might aid in swamping the tractor and making it harder to pull out.

#6 Encrypt OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Unless you want to see if you have a amphibious tractor! I agree with George and let it dry out some before going in there. Weights and chains are your friend when it comes to turf tires.

#7 jpcubs OFFLINE  

• Member No: 196
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Don't buy ag tires and then put chains on. I done tried that. Then I started listening to our northern friends Take two sets of chains and double the bars smoother ride twice the traction and works a lot better on turf than ag tires, Don't dig to bottom like ag tires

#8 cp7 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 10:00 PM

I run diamond pattern chains on my ag tires and they work great. A turf tire really needs to run chains to do about anything other than mow grass but an ag tire with chains is pretty much unstoppable.

646 (2).jpg

#9 Norwood EYE OFFLINE  

Norwood EYE

• Member No: 1994
  • 4 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 05:17 AM

I have always tried to use chains for mowing. They help a ton in wet grass. 15 years of no problems on a Murray riding mower.

After I got a true "garden tractor" I realized that chains are not so much a luxury item, but a neccesity.

Two link chains on turfs with wheel weights are pretty impressive, but with a front mount attachment it will offset that some and I might find that I need the fluid as well. Saving up for next year so I can get ags and chains but for now I am impressed with turfs + chains+weight.