22 replies to this topic

#16 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,692 Thanks
  • 910 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I just went out and started mine at -7 ....no problem

Not even sitting in the garage, they are out in the elements. 

I bet its because I run Synthetic 

BTW I just started it and came right back in its to cold out there to play, had to try it though its the coldest we got so far this year and had to see. 

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,729 Thanks
  • 4,451 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 11:51 AM

In cold weather, if I know I'm using it next day, I open the hood and hang my drop light with 100w bulb just over the engine, keeps it all warm enough to fire right off.

#18 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,985 Thanks
  • 1,256 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 02:12 PM

I just went out and started mine at -7 ....no problem

Not even sitting in the garage, they are out in the elements. 

I bet its because I run Synthetic 

BTW I just started it and came right back in its to cold out there to play, had to try it though its the coldest we got so far this year and had to see. 

What tractor engine are you running synthetic in? Obviously it makes a difference. I don't plug wifes car in as it runs synthetic. My pickup on the other hand runs dinosaur oil and appreciates the block heater. I have a Onan and was reading a thread where owner was running Rotella 15/40. Myself I would not.  I use that oil in big truck and at -40 that oil will not pour out of jug,,,you have to squeeze jug.

Edited by Jazz, December 16, 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#19 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,692 Thanks
  • 910 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 06:02 PM

I am religious when it come to changing oil in my car and I always put my used oil in back in the 5 quart refill jugs. With that said I always use Mobile 1 full synthetic. I have a that we nick named "stinky" you can guess why because of the smoking it does while running , not just  starting either this thing will leave a smoke screen clear around the house. So that also made this tractor an oil consumer. I got to thinking if this this is just going to burn it out anyway I can use my old synthetic through it I got a 5 quart jug to use up...

Well after weeks of using this tractor I have noticed the smoking is less and its starting better. It puffs now a bit when I start it but goes away almost immediately, I am only getting a small puff every now and then when the idle or throttle changes. Oil consumption is also going down. a long session with this thing was burning up to 1/2 quart if you can believe that, now its about half that 1/4 quart or a few glug glug glugs to top it off.  This oil change thing started this summer  and although I knew it was making the tractor consume less and start better. Its been though the whole oil change jug of used  oil (i have more).

This fall when II was doing my oil changes in my WH and my other sears I decided that I will run them on synthetic so bought them the same thing I use in my cars Mobile 1 European formula 0-40.  Now that I am reading that people will throw a 100w lamp on their tractor that cost about .75-1.00 a day I think I prefer to go to the cheaper route and stick with a quality oil. 

I was not sure if I should try and swap these old engines over to synthetic I am no rocket scientist or know it all but I am a certified mechanic and my brain was telling me that synthetic was not going to hurt these old engines. This engine was on its last limb and I could care less if it broke at the time because I was thinking of engine swapping it. Now that it only puffs at start up and runs great I have found that if it never goes past 1/2 throttle I have almost no oil consumption so it does not mow any more it has become a full time plow. I gave it a clean (new oil) change with the other two because I really don't like using old oil in it I just did not care at the time its what I had and the engine was limping. 

20160602_144332.jpg

This is "stinky"

• TomLGT195, Jazz and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#20 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,985 Thanks
  • 1,256 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 09:30 PM

I would like to run my Onan on synthetic but so many theories on older engines I have stuck with manufacturers vintage instructions. No doubt your engine will spin over right now in frigid conditions with synthetic oil in crankcase.  I was doing oil change today with 5/30 dino oil. I will watch for synthetic on sale. Synthetic was not likely available when these old Onans hit the market...

#21 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 723 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 12:54 PM

When I have to start garden tractor in the cold I use a tarp and small electric heater.  An hour or 2 make huge difference.  Block , oil, intake air, all gets warm as well as the battery.  Good battery with good clean elctrical connections is a must!!

As i get older I have discovered the colder it is, the harder I start.  If its - 25 C or colder I have very hard time prying my lazy butt from in front of the fire to go out to run a tractor.

#22 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 94 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 11:46 PM

I use a magnetic block heater and put the battery charger on 10 amp for about a 1/2 an hour before I plan on using it. Starts like its the middle of summer. Here is a pic of the heater block heater.jpg

Edited by countryboy88, December 23, 2016 - 11:46 PM.

• KennyP and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#23 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,221 Thanks
  • 1,185 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 11:48 AM

I use a magnetic block heater and put the battery charger on 10 amp for about a 1/2 an hour before I plan on using it. Starts like its the middle of summer. Here is a pic of the heater block heater.jpg

Thanks, I'm thinking about making my way to crappy tire (Canada tire) one of these days, for a magnetic block heater...