• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,044 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Just went outside to take pics of the fleet, and I decided to attempt to cold start the roper rt16 in moto mower clothes and the moto mower 6020 (repowered with a 6.5 Briggs clone) just for fun.

Usually the moto mower is a quick starter, just some choke and away, not the case today.

The roper, I picked up this fall, and haven't had much time to even think about it. It rolled over slowly...

Any suggestions to make for easier starting? I'm sure all members could benefit from this thread...

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,642 Thanks
  • 4,159 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Try to channel hot/warm air to the carb. In winter I often use a hot air gun for starting the JD 3120.

• ducky and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,265 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:28 PM

If you have 30W oil, get some heat on them.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,482 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:30 PM

Depends on why its hard starting. Sometimes when its cold the engine gets hard to turn over, thats most likely the oil your using or a battery. If its cranking and cranking until it starts and thats your hard starting issue then try and richen up your mixture settings and make sure your able to get full choke, I have seem some choke cables not adjusted right cause a 3/4 choke issue and that can make it hard to get enough fuel on the cold days to get it going. 

• ducky, MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,482 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you have 30W oil, get some heat on them.

Aren't you just a little far south to know what cold starting is? .....haha......j/k 

#6 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,044 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Depends on why its hard starting. Sometimes when its cold the engine gets hard to turn over, thats most likely the oil your using or a battery. If its cranking and cranking until it starts and thats your hard starting issue then try and richen up your mixture settings and make sure your able to get full choke, I have seem some choke cables not adjusted right cause a 3/4 choke issue and that can make it hard to get enough fuel on the cold days to get it going.

It's a slow to turn over cold start, I do think it's because of the cold oil...

#7 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 78 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I always give things a quick squirt of carb cleaner to insure a no fuss start when it's cold.

• MGP59DB and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,111 Thanks
  • 2,818 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 04:06 PM

I had some of that cheap Wallmart Hi-Tec non detergent 30 wt in my snow blower.Temps dropped to around 20F and it would Not crank over even with the 110v electric starter.Pulled the dipstick and the oil was so thick I could hardly pull the dipstick out of the darn thing.Oil jelled up to the consistency of cold roofing tar.

I had to bring it in the house for a few hours till it warmed up enough to get it to crank over. After starting it I let it warm up for 10-15 minutes and shut it off and drained the oil and put some good part synthetic10w 30 in it. The Hi Mileage Castrol in the Green jug is part synthetic and doesn't get as thick as conventional oil in cold temps. I would of put good 15w 40 full synthetic in it if it wasn't $9 a quart.

Still a little stiff to crank over when it's really cold with the recoil starter but it's ALOT better.

I've been having alot of problems with Ethanol Gas jelling up in small engine float bowls.The water separates from the ethanol in the float bowls and makes a sticky gelatin like substance that clogs jets.Might have to try a bit of gas line antifreeze and a little 2 stroke oil in my blower gas.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,712 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 04:16 PM

A little heat on the block or oil filter helps. In low temps I set a halogen light next to it for about half an hour. Seems to help some.

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,866 Thanks
  • 1,186 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 04:34 PM

with the wind chill you are likely about -30F today. Magnetic block heater would be the easiest if you have no warm indoor shop. Plug in for a hour and should be good. We are in a current cold spell so be careful you don't ruin your starter just to see how it starts... Tiger Torch directing hot air at engine block for 15 minutes would also make it easy to start,,you could even use a small propane torch with piece of tubing to direct heat. Don't put flame on engine for obvious reason,,,don't want to cook the paint..

Edited by Jazz, December 15, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• limebuzz and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#11 speedbird ONLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 256 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 05:33 PM

I've used the propane torch to help start  engines. I don' t light the torch. Hold it so it blows propane gas into the carb. This feeds vaporized gas directly into the engine and if there is spark it will fire. Don't stand directly in front of the carb throat in case you get a back fire. It has never happened to me but back fires do happen. 

• MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#12 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 06:32 PM

I used to use a dipstick oil heater in a CC 1650 that hated starting in the cold.  It worked well.  

The Kat's model says to use it in 4" of oil.  Mine wasn't a Kat's.  I never checked how far it went in the oil.  I never had a problem with it.

http://www.tractorsu...ip-stick-heater

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Uh, jazz, windchill only affects living things. If the wind is blowing on something warm and mechanical it will cool off faster but will be no colder than the ambient temperature.

Mike 

• Cvans and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#14 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 675 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 08:05 PM

As stated above windchill only affects living things

Easy way is to tarp tractor and place a electric heater under tarp to warm engine up before starting

Also a good battery will help, small automotive battery best, small lawn and garden battery is ok for summer but not the winter

The more cold cranking amps the better for us up here in the Great White North

#15 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,131 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted December 16, 2016 - 11:17 AM

You can buy a magnetic heater that will stick to the block, put it on and plug it in about a half hour before you need to start.