• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,641 Thanks
  • 39,012 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 06:26 AM

How much for one of those EDM's? Wonder how that would work on a rusted bolt?

#17 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Not an issue as it is flooded with die-electric fluid , as long as it is conductive its history.

• Member No: 1355
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:43 AM

For taps or studs broken off down in the hole, if the tap is big enough to allow a piece of pipe to be inserted in the hole on top of the tap/stud. Place the pipe in the hole. Take your stick welding machine with a 7018 rod, and stick it down the inside of the pipe and weld the end of the pipe to the top of the stud/tap. Works 80% of the time but should only be used as a last resort. Best advise buy good quality taps and use lots of oil and always make sure you have the right tap for the size of hole and take your time.

#19 Goatboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10605
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Just don't break them in the first place.

In my experience, and I've been machining for over ten years, taps usually break when they get loaded with chips. Kb0nly has it right when he says to remove the tap completely to blow off the chips. When we tap on CNC machines, we usually peck so the tap goes in about one turn then out completely to wash off the chips, then back in another turn. Of course we have some very high quality taps and some that dont make chips at all and simply form the thread.

I would not turn two complete turns before backing up on a deep blind hole if tapping by hand, I usually go half turn then back half turn until it gets the slightest bit tight, then I back all the way out and blow the chips out of the hole and clean off the tap before reapplying oil then resuming. The smaller the tap the less you want to turn at a time and the more often you should clean it.

Taps also break when they bottom out in the hole and you keep turning. Go slow. Don't force the tap! If it gets alot tighter all of a sudden STOP and back it out.

Taps also dont like to bend. Any side pressure on a small tap will snap it. Use two hands or fingers on the tap wrench and try to keep the pressure even on both sides. Don't just turn one side of the wrench.

Good quality taps make all the difference, so does the proper sized hole for the tap and a good chamfer to help lead it in. Making a set of tap guides is also a very good idea, I have some. They help start the tap straight, once it's started, it usually stays straight.

Use a good CUTTING oil, not motor oil. I have found that using stuff like motor oil and especially ATF actually make it harder to drill and tap, maybe because they are designed to lubricate and prevent wear on metal to metal contact.

Patience is the first tool you need. Tap extractors don't work that well especially the smaller ones. EDM works great, but at home? If you have a milling machine, carbide 2 flute endmills work sometimes to drill them out, but they will be toast when you're done. If you can remove the core of the tap, the flutes will just fall out of the hole without damage to the thread. Easier said than done.
Just don't break em in the first place!
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#20 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8169
  • 441 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:50 AM

If you're a good tig welder, even if it's broken down inside of the hole, you can weld a small spot on the end of the tap, let it cool and continue to slowly build this up until you have a nice little stud on it.  Let it cool then very slowly and carefully work the tap back and forth with vise grips gently until it begins to move.  If you want to use WD-40, make sure it has cooled first as it is flammable.  You may have to repeat this procedure several times, but I have never failed to remove a tap without damage to the threads this way .   

Edited by BowlBuilder, May 11, 2013 - 06:52 AM.

• Member No: 49992
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:27 AM

A broken tap will ruin your whole day for sure. You are going to absolutely love this tool !!! The name of the company is the Walton Company located in the West Hartford, Connecticut. The e-mail is www.waltontools.com. 860-236-9968 The name of the tool is a TAP EXTRACTOR and they are sized to each tap size. If you break a 1/4x20 tap you use a 1/4 inch tap extractor etc. The trap extractors are sold separately. If you follow the directions included with the tap extractor to the letter you should be able to remove the broken tap without damageing the surrounding area. I've used these extractors 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch with excellent results.One tip is to spray the area with some type of  penetrateing oil before inserting the tap extractor or if you have an air compressor give the hole a blast of air. This should remove any loose chips that may inpeed the removal.Also these tap extractors are sized  SAE and metric so a 1/4 inch tap extractor will also convert to a 6mm metric tap extractor a 3/8 inch tap extractor will convert to a 9/10mm metric etc. Hope this will help anyone who whrenches their own tractor.

#22 superspeedex OFFLINE  

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 08:07 PM

tap extractor do work great !! dont use them much but when you need them you need them

#23 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 02:56 AM

I don't have a cure all way to remove a broken tap.But like some of the other guys on here said use a cutting oil,(I use Rapid-Tap seem to work good) I also purchased a good set of taps(made in USA) and once tap is started I never go more than 1/2 turn before backing out 1/2 turn to break the chips, And on a blind hole back it out all the way and blow it out.And take your time.

Also take care of your taps,when I'am finished with one I blow off the chips and leave the cutting oil on it so it don't rust then put in back in it's case.

I  have seen guys toss em in a cigar box with thier other taps not knowing that their ruining them everytime they bang them together.My Dad taught me 50 years ago how to tap holes and yes I have broken some but it was allways my fault and my heart sunk every time I heard the snap.

I know I'am not telling most of you anything new but if this helps someone who is just starting out I think my Dad will smile down on me----------Bill

#24 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Surprised I haven't seen this method on the thread so far but it's a last resort deal.

If all else fails and you need the broken tap out of deep hole, remember taps are fairly brittle.  I've had very good luck shattering them with a punch and big hammer. :thumbs:   I've even been able to save the hole and re-tap.  Even if things do get damaged, hey, this was a last resort and the hole may be saved with a thread insert.  There was obviously some issue requiring a tap in the first place.....