• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 02, 2011 - 08:25 PM

well im getting the tap out, a 24 dollar dremel and a diamond bit r working fine. im buying another diamond bit tomorrow so by monday i might have it running. idk if u wanna make this a sticky for people who need to get taps out and are sick of shattering pieces off. but i figure id post it.
  • ducky, caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the tip jdecker94! I moved this post to the mechanical forum where it might get more hits by folks who need the advice and made it a sticky.

#3 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:28 PM

They make tap Extractors they usally work pretty good

#4 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:30 PM

extractor.jpg This set was 62 dollars online do a google search for tap extractors

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:59 AM

Brownells has them individually upto 1/4 inch.
BROKEN TAP EXTRACTOR - Brownells

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 03:26 PM

Brownells has them individually upto 1/4 inch.
BROKEN TAP EXTRACTOR - Brownells

That little Gunsmith supply house is about 35 mile Southeast of me. Their catalog is a real toy store to me.
Reminds me of christmas catalogs as a kid.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 14, 2011 - 11:04 PM

i actually have half a tap i never took out that i might take out when i rebuild the kohler engine. not sure if ill take the dremel or try a tap extractor

#8 pdxlawn OFFLINE  

pdxlawn

• Member No: 6768
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 08, 2011 - 05:50 PM

tap extractors work well. Dremel would by a last ditch effort, sometimes more harm can be done with the dremel than the extractor. FYI using soap, wax, wd-40 or any lubricant will help reduce the chance of the tap breaking

#9 Brock OFFLINE  

Brock

• Member No: 6562
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 11:45 AM

I work at a machine shop and we use crisco alot just dip the tap then go. Usually always use two flute taps and give it one full turn then half turn back to break the chip off. Another handy thing is a tapping nlock. I took a bunch of drops drilled holes big enough for taps to go through then use them when hand tapping to get it started straight, also makes it harder to bend thetap and break it that way.
  • ducky and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Taps usually break because of too much force going in one direction. Most of the time, they can turn out the other way (backing them out) without too much trouble if you can get ahold of the broken piece.

Light heat, penetrating oil, patience, time, patience and more patience usually work.

Don't get heavy handed though. Extractors and the drill bits you would use to get taps OUT are usually hardened - so if you break the extractor (don't laugh - it happens...) you are really hurting.

Another trick (also works on broken bolts) is to use a mig or tig welder and tack a bolt onto the end of the tap (if you can get to the end of it). The bolt welded on gives you something to work with, and the heat of the weld usually helps free up the stuck part. Use a heat absorb putty on the casting to help protect it from weld splatter.
  • tractorman604, caseguy and Alc have said thanks

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:25 PM

well i havent looked at this thread in a while. when i threaded a hole i used almost a quart of used motor oil as lubricant. ive recent threaded another hole for a friend and it took me 8 mins or so and i used just a much oil, he just squirted oil on it constantly while i threaded.

#12 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I work in a machine/ mechanical rebuild shop and have tried tap extractors (they are damn near useless except aluminum) best solutions as follows, Through holes-blow out broken tap with a torch, Blind hole in steel 707 welding rod and a nut to weld the tap portion to, Blind hole in aluminum small amount of muriatic acid and a tap extractor just let the acid do its job while working back and forth with the extractor it will come then flush well with water. Ive seen taps break under heavy load and if seen taps break under no load being backed out, the main cause of tap breakage was taking the good chemicals out of certain brand name taping fluids
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#13 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 01:48 AM

Just one more idea - not for stuck taps per se, but for stuck/broken bolts. You can buy left handed drill bits (I'm serious, this is not a joke!!!). You use your drill in reverse to drill the hole. Use the bit a couple sizes SMALLER than the bolt - you want to drill into the center of the bolt and not into the casing the bolt is stuck in.

The heat of the drilling and the reverse direction pressure of the drill boring into the bolt SOMETIMES backs it out once you get about 2/3 drilled down into it.

And if it didn't work, you now have a convenient hole to break your bolt extractor off in!
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 02:24 AM

This sucks... Been there done that...

Then about five years ago i bought a VERY expensive set of taps. I haven't broken another one yet, knock on wood, and have also been much more careful, doing the two turns forward one turn back to clear the chips. Sometimes i find it necessary to go two turns in, and then back all the way out to clear the hole and then back in and another two turns and repeat, along with oil, an air gun to blow out chips, its takes so much time to be careful but better than a broken tap.

I think the biggest problem i had early on despite being careful was just cheap taps. I saved up the cost of a couple cheap sets and got a good set and now even the small machine screw sizes are holding up without breakage.

I haven't had any luck with the extractors...

What i have used though is the lefthand twist bits and screw removers that are lefthand thread. If the bit doesn't free it i use that easy out screw extractor and then generally powers them out.

#15 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 05:49 AM

Best way to get out broken taps...... EDM.. (Electric Discharge Machine) . Comes out perfect every single time. Yeah I know its cheating. :thumbs: