4 replies to this topic

#1 ragster1 OFFLINE  

ragster1
  • Member No: 85408
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hello again,

Last week I submitted a topic on a Power King 1212 I purchased and the help you gave was outstanding.  As a result, I have the tractor working well with a rebuilt card, new fluids, and even removed than re-attached the snow blower.  However, a new situation presented itself.

I can start the tractor fine with the ignition switch but when I go to turn the tractor off to shut is down, the engine stays running.  For now, I am just pulling the spark plug wire off - not a good long term solution..  My guess is that one of the wiring connections is not grounding out properly.

There is a white/yellow and a solid green going to the LHS (as you look at the solenoid) connector of the solenoid and a white wire to the RHS of the solenoid wire.

the ignition switch looks relatively new for the tractor.  Is is a 3 position, 5 prong switch.  Could this be the problem?

Any insight is appreciated.

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,682 Thanks
  • 904 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 09:29 AM

My guess is that they replaced your grounded ignition with something else. I have seen set up like that work with a separate toggle switch used for the kill switch. I am not sure what the PK has in it for an engine ( I am guessing a Briggs) ?

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,838 Thanks
  • 8,680 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 11:47 AM

You need to find the wiring diagram for your tractor. Compare it to the standard wiring diagram for the engine. If those are compatable, then look at the ignition switch. There are 2 types of main switches: an ignition switch that is for a battery ignition system and a magneto switch which is for engines with magneto type ignition systems. An ignition switch provides power the coil when the engine is running and cuts off the power to stop the engine. A magneto switch grounds out the magneto when in the off position and opens(or isolates) the ignition when in the on position. Never mix the types. Power to a magneto can ruin it.

Find out what you have and get back to us. Good Luck, Rick
  • ducky said thank you

#4 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,039 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 12:34 PM

If it did work and no longer does it is likely the correct switch with a grounding problem. If you have no evidence of it ever working more information is required. Can you see corrosion of wires or terminals? Is it the original engine, switch, wiring ?   Pictures are always  appreciated and often very helpful. Don 

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 08:21 PM

You need to post the engine model  spec and SN numbers, what type if ignition system does it have battery meaning points and condenser or is it electronic  breakerless these two systems are wired differently and use two different types of switches but the switches look the same so it can be confusing also as posted some pictures of the engine could be helpful