Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vent in hydro site glass tubing/filter or not?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Hi folks

I drained the hydro fluid on the 314, changed the filter and have rebuilt the sight tube for the hydro fluid. The tractor had rubber fuel line in place of the transparent tubing needed to see the fluid level. It was overfilled, presumably because there was no sight tube. I bent a piece of 1/8" metal to create a clamp to hold the tubing in the viewing slot and painted it light grey to make it easy to see the level. I replaced the tubing and installed a new fuel filter in the line to the top of the rear end. When I was refilling the hydro it got air locked and I had to remove the gauge line to vent it and allow me to finish filling it. My question is; Do I have to make a small hole in the fuel filter to act as a vent or is the system designed to run sealed. Somewhere I read that you should make a small hole to vent it but the tractor did not have a vent when I got it.
Thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yes, it has to vent or the oil won't/ can't indicate the proper level. You can run extra line from the other end of the fuel filter & loop it downward & zip-tie it in place. This will prevent water from going down the tube when washing the tractor, etc.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 05:26 AM

I may not have been clear in my description. Heres a diagram of the sight tube. #1 is the clear sight tube. The fitting #11 is on the bottom rear of the axle housing (fluid reservoir). #3 is a fuel filter. JD calls this an accumulator. Tube #4 goes to fitting #9 in the top of the axle housing. So the gauge is vented back to the top of the reservoir but not to atmosphere. Do these hydro's need a vent to atmosphere to prevent pressure buildup due to heat and expansion of the fluid?
MP534__________UN01JAN94.jpg

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Do you fill through the cap #13 ? Does this have a pin hole of some type ? The rubber fill plug on my 318 has a pin hole for a vent.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Do you fill through the cap #13 ? Does this have a pin hole of some type ? The rubber fill plug on my 318 has a pin hole for a vent.

Yes #13 is the fill tube. There is no hole in the cap.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:41 AM

My JD F935 has the same hydro system as yours & it's site tube goes to a small reservoir for filling, about the size of a small car brake fluid reservoir. It has a cap with air bleed hole, so they can ve vented, but not sure if they "must" be or not.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:42 AM

I wonder if maybe it's not vented or on some equipment I've seen a small fitting with bronze used as a filter on a vent. Guess the easist would be to leave the vent hose off until you done filling . But it would bother me until I found out either way ,I'm just a hard head I guess :wallbanging:

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:45 AM

I can get a proper hydraulic system vent cap from Princess Auto that will fit on top of the 3/8" pipe nipple that is the fill tube. It seems to me that there should be a vent somewhere in the system.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 08:51 PM

Here's one of those vents I was trying to explain , it's 1/8" pipe fitting , bronze , like the old GM fuel filters , it's threaded into a check valve but they are separate parts.P6030207.jpg

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:40 AM

I checked the sight tube parts descriptions on JDparts and the top and bottom fittings where the sight tube connects to the rear end are the same part. I had thought that the top fitting may have been vented. The filter is described as a fuel filter and is used on several tractor models. I'll check to see if it is used in the hydro gauge only. I may have to check with the local JD dealer to see if they have any insight into this. I may order the part if it is cheap. Thanks for the input.

#11 RaisedByWolves OFFLINE  

RaisedByWolves

• Member No: 3894
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hi Brian!

Your rear should have a white plastic fitting that the fill tube goes to......If its anything like the 316-318. There is a bleed hole in this fitting that allows the rear to vent to atmosphere.

I think the accumulator thing is a waste of time/effort.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hi Brian!

Your rear should have a white plastic fitting that the fill tube goes to......If its anything like the 316-318. There is a bleed hole in this fitting that allows the rear to vent to atmosphere.

I think the accumulator thing is a waste of time/effort.

The accumulator is probably to catch or impede any oil mist going out or any moisture coming in if it is vented. The fittings on the hydro are standard brass barb fittings and are not vented. I think the filter provides the venting but nobody seems to have the exact part to verify this. It makes sense that there should be a vent. If there isn't you wouldn't need the accumulator/filter.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:48 AM

I was browsing through the operators manual for the 314 and was looking at the Dealer Assembly section. Under the check transmission fluid level section was a highlighted message as follows:

IMPORTANT: The 1/16-inch diameter hole in the outside wall of the accumulator-vent must be positioned at an upward angle to prevent fluid leakage and insure proper venting.

There is no mention of the accumulator-vent in the owners portion of the manual. The JD parts list refers to it as a fuel filter so there are no hints there. Anyone using a standard fuel filter will need to put a hole in it as noted above. JD should have provided an explanation of the venting in the operators section of the manual IMO.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks , one of those little things the factory doesn't mention correctly or at all , Al