• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 248 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Much appreciated information on the rundown of the blades, Now that I know what it is I can look for the parts manual for it and see how it was hooked up.
Yes deerlope, the flail is missing a few knives but completly functional. I just picked that up recently as well.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,265 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 08:08 AM

If you have bathroom scales, you can set it on there to see what it weighs!

#18 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Bolens and some of their 'Allied' equipment mfg's designed and built heavy pieces such as your Haban flail or the 2 stage sno-caster that hang serious weight cantilevering out the front, almost every HT 20 I've got into that sported a 2 stage caster has had a broken bolster or a brazed repaired one. IMO the extra weight wasn't taken into consideration at design again IMO. My thoughts are ground engaging equipment such as a flail or sno caster are mostly in the down position lessening the stress on your tractor a blade can be up as much as down during use especially dirt working a large area, the 20 and the 23 also have the frames relieved of metal for the Kohler to fit, I have a couple 20's with broken frames at this point, abuse... carelessness... or wear and tear ? I have used the stock 54"power angle blade have several ,two were new and only I and my 23's have used them they have zero defects from use I've pushed rock, gravel,dirt and all kinds of snow I have no complaints, I think as I do with predominantly with most Bolens pieces they are well engineered and designed to fit piece specific without overburdening your tractor . IMO that blade is too heavy , if necessity or desire to make it fit is your plan I'd exercise caution with use.
BTW Ken this is Kevin who helped with your flail-mo delivery, your refurbished 20 will thank you if you pass on this project IMO
  • Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#19 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 248 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate your opinion and you're rite as hard as it is to say. Maybe the 54" plows I've had in the past were previously abused which is why they were either tweaked, had broken welds, or both. I'm going to keep looking for a nice clean 54" plow to use then and sell this one, or possibly trade if anyone has that interest. It was a compulsive buy but it wasn't going to sit around long considering the asking price so I jumped on it.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#20 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,284 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 09:36 AM

If you are still interested in how the 54" Model 19603 grader blade was set up on a GK, check out the manuals section here. The grader blade is shown in the file with "Section 8" in the file name.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#21 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 248 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 10:20 AM

If you are still interested in how the 54" Model 19603 grader blade was set up on a GK, check out the manuals section here. The grader blade is shown in the file with "Section 8" in the file name.

TY, I will go look for it. I may just keep it for something down the road, who knows. Its a tough blade for sure. Maybe attach a plate to it to be used on a skid steer or something along those lines.

#22 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 248 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 02:06 PM

just found this video and to me it sure does look like the same blade however, I don't know how wide that blade is. Does anyone know if they had a 60" blade for sure on that model? Here's the link...