• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 06:53 PM

OK people. Here's the story... I just picked up this blade today. Its a NOS Bolens blade, dirty and minor scratches and dings here and there but never been used. Its 60" wide and much heavier than the 54" blade that's on my ht20 and what I want to do is use the framework off my 54" blade and modify this blade and mate the two. I'm pretty sure it was designed for the larger Bolens/Iseki tractors such as G152, Bolens 212, etc. I'd like to identify it so I can get an approximate weight being I have no way to weight it. I'd also like any input from any of you that has attempted to do something like this before. Want opinions and ideas to try determining if I'm going to run into issues with the added length or weight compared to the standard 54" blade. I'm sure the ht20 I'm using it on will carry it just fine but is there anything I should be Leary of continuing thru this project? scrap the whole idea? Let me know what you think and any information you can offer on what this blade is. I will be following this thread to see how to pursue my plans, and thanks all in advance to all your input.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161211_172220_290.jpg
  • IMG_20161211_172136_433.jpg
  • IMG_20161211_172105_829.jpg
  • IMG_20161211_172039_580.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and bprzyw have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Think you would need parts manuals from both blades to compare how they mount. At least the one for the big blade, you DO have the smaller one to visualize.  Looking at blade the pivots look pretty wide spread, that might be first problem. Above can see spring pin mounts and looks like maybe this one had FOUR springs, not just two like most?  Or, does yours have four also?  I'm not familiar with the Bolen's items, but there is probly some manuals on here to look at and see if they have one for your bigger blade?  Not much help,but best I can do. :smiley-score002:

#3 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I hadn't even thought of the spring issue. I probably should use 4 springs because of the weight of it or it'll be tripping when you look at it wrong. I am planning on adding 2 ribs closer together tho for the mounting points the 54" blade uses. "Getting out of the hobby this year, ha" Now that's funny grumpy

#4 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 09:05 PM

Looks like a model 17560 blade which was made for the larger 21HP and 27HP diesel tractors. I don't have the weight spec on this blade, but I recall it's not a lightweight by any means - easily weighing more than double the Large Frame 54" blade.
  • Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 1,184 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 09:17 PM

I can't id the blade but for weight you could calculate the volume. One square foot of One inch steel is 76 lb. Don

#6 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 09:46 PM

Looks like a model 17560 blade which was made for the larger 21HP and 27HP diesel tractors. I don't have the weight spec on this blade, but I recall it's not a lightweight by any means - easily weighing more than double the Large Frame 54" blade.

ty for sharing... any idea if there's a manual for one of those in the manuals section that I can download? a parts illustration would be best I think to try figuring out what springs I would need and other parts that may help. sure would be nice seeing some close up pictures of one mounted on a tractor if anyone has some. Hint Hint

#7 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I agree with it being probably double the weight of the LF blade. Would you think the weight or 6" longer length would render it unpractical for the larger LF's? in my opinion the 54" LF blades tweak quite easily and almost every one I've had have broken welds on them. Can't see that ever happening to this blade if used on a LF. I also don't see the 54" blade really effectively being able to push and level dirt like this one would. Am I asking too much of my HT-20 to think it'll do that kind of work with this blade?
  • blackjackjakexxix and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#8 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,329 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 10:55 PM

I might have suggested that it was a repainted grader blade for a GK (minus the mounting bracket that was mounted low down between the two ribs, and carried 4 trip springs), but that blade is only 54" wide. Other than the width, it looks just like the GK blade.

I have one of the GK blades, and I can tell you it is seriously heavy, easily more than twice the weight of the 54" Large Frame blade.
  • blackjackjakexxix and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#9 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 11:23 PM

I saw a picture of 1967 bolens collectors GK with the grader blade on it and have to agree it looks the same. Couldn't see what the framework side of the blade looked like in the picture tho. I should also add... I haven't measured this blade yet so it could well be a 54" wide blade. I was only stating what was stated in the ad I responded to before going to get it. I will measure tomorrow. Could you possibly post pictures of your blade? or even message me so I can compare this blade with yours better? It sure is a dead on ringer to me.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#10 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 11:27 PM

I agree with it being probably double the weight of the LF blade. Would you think the weight or 6" longer length would render it unpractical for the larger LF's? in my opinion the 54" LF blades tweak quite easily and almost every one I've had have broken welds on them. Can't see that ever happening to this blade if used on a LF. I also don't see the 54" blade really effectively being able to push and level dirt like this one would. Am I asking too much of my HT-20 to think it'll do that kind of work with this blade?

I don't think the extra 6" will be detrimental to its overall usability, but the extra width coupled with the added weight may be somewhat limiting when pushing heavy, wet snow, stone or soil. I do agree that you will likely never be able to damage this heavy blade, but I don't think you're going to gain a lot over what the original 54" offers.

As for hurting the tractor itself, I think the added width and weight may add to the possibility of a broken front bolster or front axle damage.
  • wilberj, Bruce Dorsi and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,940 Thanks
  • 5,569 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 11:36 PM

I don't think the extra 6" will be detrimental to its overall usability, but the extra width coupled with the added weight may be somewhat limiting when pushing heavy, wet snow, stone or soil. I do agree that you will likely never be able to damage this heavy blade, but I don't think you're going to gain a lot over what the original 54" offers.

As for hurting the tractor itself, I think the added width and weight may add to the possibility of a broken front bolster or front axle damage.

:ditto:

#12 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 11:37 PM

Now that you've mentioned the GK blade, if this blade is 54" wide, then it is very possible it is a model 1354 for the 15-17 diesels. They were near identical to the original GK 54" blade. I don't think I have pdf copies of either parts manual to post, but I'll double check.
  • Bruce Dorsi and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#13 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 384 Thanks
  • 296 posts

Posted December 11, 2016 - 11:46 PM

Hmmm, I had thought of that and hoped nobody said anything about that. Now I have to stop and think what makes more sense, keep looking for a really nice 54" power angle blade and sell this or continue on with the project. In response to measurements.... It drove me crazy needing to know how wide this actually is, so went and measured it. It is exactly 60" wide, 20" tall. So still trying to narrow in on what this blade was made for I guess. Incase I decide to sell.

#14 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • 1,375 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hmmm, I had thought of that and hoped nobody said anything about that. Now I have to stop and think what makes more sense, keep looking for a really nice 54" power angle blade and sell this or continue on with the project. In response to measurements.... It drove me crazy needing to know how wide this actually is, so went and measured it. It is exactly 60" wide, 20" tall. So still trying to narrow in on what this blade was made for I guess. Incase I decide to sell.

If it measures @ 60", then I am most certain it is the 17560 blade for the G212/G214 and G272/G274. The 15-17HP diesels largest blade was 54" model 1354. The G192/G194 Diesel had a 60" and 66" blade available, however these were older diesel tractors and the decals on your blade are too new to match it.

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and kjmweld have said thanks

#15 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 580 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Is your Haban flail mower still usable?