• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,055 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 09:39 AM

A tractor or garden tractor is a great base to start with to make something fun. I see lots of kids and adults taking these old machines and making something fun out of them. Some are good some are bad, some seem fun and some seem scary , but all said and done no harm  with buying someones junk and having fun with it. If you learn just one thing along the way it was well worth it. We only live life once so we may as well enjoy some of it.....lol 

I would be one to do something like this one day, Although I may not go for the speed as much as I would  a utility vehicle , watching these videos give me some wild ideas. 

• shorty and tiretrx have said thanks

#17 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 11:07 AM

I built a few of these back when my son was in grade school. The first one was a worn out MTD shift on the go. Tire and pulley swap and custom dual pipes out the rear. It topped out around 15mph. He had a blast and learned alot "helping" with the project. He wanted to build some thing bigger faster and set up for trails/ mud pit. I found a MW/ Gilson non runner on CL cheap with that line in the ad that almost dares you to buy it "if it doesnt sell I will load it on the next trip to the scrapper". This build was a little more involved with a frame lift, custom front axle/ steering upgrade, pulley swap, foot throttle, brake mod, bumpers, trail lights and stack. He ran close to 15 gallons a week through this thing until he moved up to ATVs. 

Photo 101810 001

Edited by tater195, December 12, 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, TomLGT195 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#18 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,152 Thanks
  • 1,193 posts

Posted December 12, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Like to see more pics, Bryan. And for what ever it's worth.........I'm probably as "dumb" as you. And considering I'm 55 next month, some might say I never grew up(actually, some do). I appreciate seeing what a creative mind can imagine, and build. To me, it's a gift, and a skill. Especially when one uses what many consider scrap, or junk, as fodder.

I like the lines and stance of your ride. How about some more pics and info???????

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 12:19 PM

I have built several like this. The fastest one so far GPSd at 42 with a 6" lift and 26x12x12 aggies on the back. I am currently rounding up parts for a custom frame/ stretched body JD 116 slingshot style dragster for the 2017 ATLTF build off that should hit 60 with GT/LT drivetrain parts, not the gokart axle/ motorcycle engine crap.

What did you think of Doc's Diesel Weasel?

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 12:21 PM

A tractor or garden tractor is a great base to start with to make something fun. I see lots of kids and adults taking these old machines and making something fun out of them. Some are good some are bad, some seem fun and some seem scary , but all said and done no harm  with buying someones junk and having fun with it. If you learn just one thing along the way it was well worth it. We only live life once so we may as well enjoy some of it.....lol 

I would be one to do something like this one day, Although I may not go for the speed as much as I would  a utility vehicle , watching these videos give me some wild ideas. 

Yea, but there are a lot of these youngsters buying good old restorable iron and then turning them into mud mowers, wished they would still tot he box store MTD/Murray junk for that.

I have a few old MTD's/ Craftsman riders, thought about just changing pulleys out to make a fun little go cart type machine to play in the field.

• Bolens 1000, adamjd200 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#21 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 02:19 PM

What did you think of Doc's Diesel Weasel?

That was a nice build. I plan on giving him a run for his money this year. I am getting back into this. Sold off most of my GTs and need something to do with all the left over parts. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#22 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 2,055 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Yea, but there are a lot of these youngsters buying good old restorable iron and then turning them into mud mowers, wished they would still tot he box store MTD/Murray junk for that.

I have a few old MTD's/ Craftsman riders, thought about just changing pulleys out to make a fun little go cart type machine to play in the field.

I'll be honest with you, If i were going to make a mud mower I would not want to use anything else then some old iron.

• shorty and tiretrx have said thanks

#23 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted December 13, 2016 - 03:50 PM

Atleast they arent going to the scrapper. I personally dont understand putting all the time and money into restoring one, only to leave it parked in the corner of the garage with a sheet over it. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round

#24 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 2,055 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 08:06 AM

I been told that I am dumb for restoring these old tractors and actually using them again. I personally love the feeling it gives me to take something from close to its grave and bring it back for another round of life. 

Most of the time I don't even put them in the shed, they sit out side in the elements.

• jpackard56 and tiretrx have said thanks

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,962 Thanks
  • 5,579 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I been told that I am dumb for restoring these old tractors and actually using them again. I personally love the feeling it gives me to take something from close to its grave and bring it back for another round of life. 

Most of the time I don't even put them in the shed, they sit out side in the elements.

DITTO!

• tiretrx said thank you

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 09:46 AM

Atleast they arent going to the scrapper. I personally dont understand putting all the time and money into restoring one, only to leave it parked in the corner of the garage with a sheet over it. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round

yea true, I've tried to explain that to a former member of the "garage", I think he just liked to argue about "keeping the Sears all original".

#27 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,837 Thanks
  • 1,434 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 09:55 AM

And the my "favorite" is after degrading my "fun" they follow up with "Hey, can you look at my box-store trash, it's not running right ?" Course they're thirty miles away and you'd be lucky to get a cold drink as payment !

(man am I grouchy today...)

• KennyP and John Arsenault have said thanks

#28 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Unless there are some family ties to a particular Sears tractor or restored for sentimental reasons, I don't see what the big deal is. They were almost as common as todays MTD made junk. If everyone ever made was kept original and restored, they wouldn't be worth squat. Roper used good heavy duty parts for the tractors, but had some odd ball ideas for the mower decks. I just found that out when I rebuilt the mower deck for the FF18 to the tune of $200+. 3 months later I snagged a fixer upper GT18 with a good deck for $30. Sorry.. got side tracked there, where I was going with that is the strong frames and drive set up make the C2s GT18 and even the newer stuff, good organ donors for modified off road machines.

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Unless there are some family ties to a particular Sears tractor or restored for sentimental reasons, I don't see what the big deal is. They were almost as common as todays MTD made junk. If everyone ever made was kept original and restored, they wouldn't be worth squat. Roper used good heavy duty parts for the tractors, but had some odd ball ideas for the mower decks. I just found that out when I rebuilt the mower deck for the FF18 to the tune of $200+. 3 months later I snagged a fixer upper GT18 with a good deck for $30. Sorry.. got side tracked there, where I was going with that is the strong frames and drive set up make the C2s GT18 and even the newer stuff, good organ donors for modified off road machines.

y7ea, I have an SS12, it was my wife's uncle's. he gave it to me over here brothers. It's pretty rough, if I ever get it running, I may just scotch brite it and clear over it and leave as I got it.

They do make good mud mowers, it just bothers me to see a guy get a running one in good shape then tear it apart and do whatever, but that's just me. As you said, everyone had their own taste, I'm more of a restore or work it person.

#30 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 2,030 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I just picked up a GT18 for $30 with the notion of using the parts for a build project. Turns out it only needed an afternoon of fixing some of what the last guy "fixed" to get it running. That one will get flipped in the spring for a good profit. Still looking for junkers for parts, but that is pretty slow this time of year around here