Garden Tractor Forums banner

Cub Cadet 104

Tags
for sale
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am selling this 1968 (i think???) Cub Cadet 104, I don't know much about it, I bought it at a auction and it is a bigger project then I need so I am just wanting to get my money back. The engine turns over, I can't get the transmission to shift, it seems to be stuck. Also all of the linkages, deck lift and everything seem to be stuck. Front spindle is broke, but I have the wheel that goes with it. I can sell the whole thing or I can sell parts off of it, make me a offer on the whole thing or on parts. I have tractors/loaders to help load it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you weren't 16 hours from me I would take her.

Just a LITTLE to far away.Not going through the whole shipping thing lol

She looks to be in really good condition for not being run in a good while.

Cub trannys have a H shift pattern R/1 2/3 just like an old farm tractor or older Truck or car with a 3 speed on the floor.Kinda confusing if your used to the I shift pattern in most other garden tractors.Lock the clutch down on the 1st notch and give it a pull and see if the tires turn at all.1st notch is for clutch only 2nd notch is for clutch and brake.If it's adjusted correctly lol.

That should get the gears moving if there a little stiff from sitting.

I would pump up the tires and snatch up a used spindle for it and get it running.Shouldn't take much and you'll get a bit more for it if you can run it up on someones truck or trailer.As is you'll be really lucky to get $200 out of it even with 1/2 of a sleeve hitch on it.But if it runs and atleast rolls you can pretty much double that.

I would definitely try to get her running.Way to clean and complete to part out.Won't cost ya anything but a little time to clean the carb and points and a little gas in the tank if it's not rusty inside.If it will run snatch a spindle up for it and you should be able to get a a god bit more out of it.I would spend the $32 if I can make an extra $100+.It's a no-brainer lol.

Used Spindle $32 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cub-Cadet-Used-R-H-Steering-Knuckle-759-3006-/401186896370?hash=item5d689a39f2:g:w2MAAOSwdIFX1ehU

Lift leaver will move once you get the weight of the tractor off of the deck and shoot a little PB Blaster down the top of the handle around the button.

#6 ·
Eric uses "magic" spray, just like Skilled trades at work, ha!
If PB won't loosen stuff up I take the parts off and jam it in a bucket of muriatic acid for 20 minutes.It will eat 99.9% of the rust off and won't touch the chrome,paint,plastic or rubber parts.

Big can of PB blaster is my go to tool for loosening stuck metal parts.It actually does eat at the rust and alot of the time it will wick into threads of bolts and nuts.If you heat a nut a bit then spray it with PB it will Wick in really quick.Briggs Opposed twin flywheel nuts don't like to come loose without a bit of heat and lubrication.I've pulled the threads rite off of a crank on 1 using an impact gun.Little heat from a propane torch and a shot of PB usually makes them jump rite off.

WD 40 doesn't seem to do much.Maybe because it's a little thicker? Or? Tried a fresh can of it a couple weeks ago.Didn't seem to do much if anything.

#8 ·
I bought this cub to get running and resell. But it is going to be more of a job then what I thought, I just don't have time to mess with it, I have 1 30'X70" greenhouse to build, + one 20'X40' and one 30'X40' hoop buildings to build. I also have tons other projects that need to be done before spring. I basically bought this so the scrappers wouldn't get it.

Thanks for the info, I will try get get the back wheels moving and I'll try shifting the transmission. The guy who had this cub said it ran and worked perfectly when he got it. He never used it (he was elderly) and it sat outdoors for 5+years.

#9 ·
Looks like a May, 1968 machine!

Reactions: BTS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.