5 replies to this topic

#1 Angus in Wyoming OFFLINE  

Angus in Wyoming
  • Member No: 85386
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Hello gang,

I was super excited to find this group.  I tried searching for my answer but I couldn't find it.  

My tractor is a Montgomery Wards 14 hp with hydrostatic tranny.  Model number is GIL-33047A,  The engine code is 7001281.

I am guessing the engine was made in 1970,

My first question involves just starting it.  I have the carb ready, oil changed, battery installed, but I can't figure out how to start it.  I am trying to figure out if there is some safety switch that I haven't found.  I have the parking break on, pedal depressed, and shifter in neutral position.  There is nothing when I turn the key.  Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

I have downloaded some manuals that are close to the year, but they seem to be parts diagrams, not starting procedures.

Angus

ps should I have posted this in MW instead of Gilson?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,486 Thanks
  • 710 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Sometimes a safety switch in the seat - are you sitting on it?

Other wise get out the tester and see where the power is going.

Edited by MGP59DB, December 07, 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,851 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Welcome to GTT. We will try to have answers. I am going to guess that you have some mechanical ability and just need a guide. Find the engine manual in our Manuals Section. In the manual there will be a troubleshooting guide. Follow it to find the problem. A test light or a voltmeter can help you figure out where the juice is getting and where it isn't. Try that. If you need help, just ask. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Try this manual for the tractor :  http://gardentractor...699-gil-33148a/ and this for the engine : http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

Edited by boyscout862, December 07, 2016 - 09:17 PM.

• TomLGT195 and Angus in Wyoming have said thanks

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:06 PM

Your tractor is a 1970. There should be two safety switches one operated by brake pedal the other by the pto lever. The safety switches are long springs that ground to start.Make sure they make contact to clean surface. Like stated need to see if power is getting where it needs to be. You will more than likely have to remove battery to get to switches. 

• boyscout862 and karel have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,233 Thanks
  • 2,913 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Also the headlight switch must be in the off position.

Off is in the middle it's a 3 way switch.1 position for lights While Running only.1 position for lights While Not running and Off in the middle.

It won't start if the switch is is in either ON position.

If you flip the switch into the While not running position "When it is running" it will shut the tractor off.Gilson/Wards tractors of that era had some rather funky wiring lol.

Are you able to get it to crank over with the starter? 1970 Briggs should have Points ignition.If you can get it to crank over and you have no spark you might have to clean and gap the points and possible replace the Condenser.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 07, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Angus in Wyoming OFFLINE  

Angus in Wyoming
  • Member No: 85386
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 10:03 AM

Thanks everybody for the help, ideas and the manuals.  I think I can figure it out from here.  

I have to work today, but I should be able to start a fire in the shop ( it is -14 degrees today) and take a close look at things this weekend.  I will report back.

I will trace the power and see where it is going.