• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pwrking75wny OFFLINE  

Pwrking75wny
  • Member No: 85396
  • 4 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Hello everyone I am new to the site and i need some help. I just purchased a house and out in the barn is an old 1975 powerking tractor. After talking to the previous owner she said that her ex sabotaged it so she couldnt sell it when they got divorced. She said the tractor is now my problem as she doesnt want to be bothered with moving it which is fine with me. It appears most of the wiring has been ripped out and i have no key to the ignition. Does anyone have any pics of their wiring so i can recreate it on my tractor. Im not sure how to wire up the ignition switch and the coil. I get lost looking at the diagrams so actual pics would be great. Thanks for the help in advance
  • Alc, hamman, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,182 Thanks
  • 43,306 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 04:51 AM

:wave: Welcomr to the forum. I moved this to the Power King forum. May get better help in here. Folks may need a bit more info.

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 05:07 AM

Welcome to the forum, that's a heck of a gift from the previous owner.  it would help if you posted a few pics of the tractor and a model #, I am sure someone will be along to give you a hand.  you can also check the manuals section here for more help.

Pete

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 05:51 AM

First off, please post the serial number of the tractor (found on the dash or the front grill between the headlights).  We need to make sure of what year the tractor is.  I know, she said 75, but lets make sure.  If it's a 75, then the model is simply "Power King" or "Jim Dandy".  Pics would help with the ID.  Welcome aboard.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,308 Thanks
  • 7,149 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!  Many members here with Power KIngs and some are very good at explaining things in words to help you work trough the wiring problem

#6 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • Member No: 85231
  • 32 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:10 AM

I have a 1976 1614 and also needed a key when I got it. The local mower place had one hanging on the parts wall behind the register. I brought the switch with me but they said most tractors and mowers all use the same key.

• Alc said thank you

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,815 Thanks
  • 3,994 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 10:40 AM

Welcome aboard! Just an aside, if you are in contact with the lady who owned the place, it would be to your benefit to have her declare in writing that the tractor was abandoned there and you have legal rights to it. One never knows what bitterness can rear it's head after a divorce. Just sayin'.......

• KennyP said thank you

#8 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 201 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Good luck on your tactor-.

This may be overkill- but I'd empty/ change all oils/ fluids before turning it over, and examine the oil closely as it comes out.  It sounds like the guy just ripped out the wiring, but I would want to make sure he didn't put sand in the oil or sabotage the tractor somehow else. Doubtful, but you don't want to take the effort to fix the wiring only to find you missed another hidden land mine.

He was probably in a hurry and just cut the wiring, but you never know.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and old coot have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,191 Thanks
  • 5,786 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 04:49 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,121 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 11:57 PM

Hi welcome to the group and Power King ownership, as said post the SN and some pictures of the tractor also pictures of the engine if its a Kohler it could have one of 2 ignition systems battery ignition with points and condenser or breakerless they are wired very differently otherwise the wiring on the PK's is pretty simple,

Does the tractor have a single or dual trannys does it have hydraulics?

Good luck with it.

• KennyP said thank you