8 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,940 Thanks
  • 1,294 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I ran across a "test your small engine knowledge" thing on yahoo today and thought wth and clicked on it. It is a poorly written, random question thing that some overeducated idiot put out there just to get clicks.

I think I scored 20 out of 30, because I knew the answer but didn't select the one they decided the correct answer was, or there was no right answer. the worst one of the bunch was "what does viscosity refer to?" their answer was thickness.

If you have not taken the test, DONT. you will be dumber after doing it.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,269 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 12:45 PM

i dont think i will take it i would be in trouble if i come out dumber than i am now.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Everyday is full of real life tests of all kinds. Why look for extra aggravation? Good Luck, Rick

• jms180, TomLGT195 and karel have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,787 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 01:30 PM

It seems they always use odd terminology to describe something. And then the answer needs funky terms to be correct.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,757 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Saw those and some on car trans and other such things.  Didn't score real great either, but think couple of their choices were kinda odd or mine weren't really wrong either, just they worded it kinda odd. One was on car options when they came out and other things. Kinda fun, but didn't get good of score as I thought I should have on most.

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,278 Thanks
  • 1,044 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 02:26 AM

I took one of those test once, I think it was written by a Chinese & translated to English by a Korean who learned English from a correspondence course he downloaded from an Italian web site. Don   

• MH81, karel and tater195 have said thanks

#7 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 261 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 01:55 PM

This reminds me of years ago when I was getting more into small engine repair, before that it was mostly farm and construction equipment. My boss sent me to take tests for 2 and 4 cycle engine certification, it was put on by Honda, and what a joke it was! The main problem was that Honda decided that ignition was a cycle, so they now were talking about 5 cycles on the 4 stroke test. There were a lot of other questionable items they had in the questions also. I passed, but it made me realize what a joke it was to be certified, Here in the Northeast, you make the same low income whether or not you are certified.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,940 Thanks
  • 1,294 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 03:43 PM

One question was " how many types of carbs are there?" The "correct" answer was 4. I cant remember what they listed for the 4th, but the first 3 were: normal, up draft and down draft. EFI was not on the list. I know EFI isnt quite a carb by definition, but it is a fuel delivery system and should be included in the list

#9 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • Member No: 9859
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 03:00 PM

A day you don't learn something . is a day wasted.  but a day that makes you feel dumber makes you loose a week trying to find out why... I have found that there's enough stuff going on with life to stress me out than taking a quiz made up of people that don't know real life applications at all.