• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 96 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 09:48 AM

Picked up this 1250 last weekend from a member on MTF.  I posted it on the FB page so some of you may have seen it there.  There weren't any real surprises, he described it just how it is.  I also scored a dis-assembled S14D, some extra PTO parts, and a seat and seat pan.  I can't read the serial number, but based on the straight hydro handle and early style Bolens on the axle housing, it looks to be a 197-01.   I don't believe the red on the wheels is original as it is flaking off and they're white/cream underneath.  The engine serial number is 4362338 which comes back as Jan 1967. 

PO said it was running and then just quit on him.  I started tinkering with it over the weekend.  It cranks very well but has no spark.  Did my best to set the points, no change.  I picked up another coil with internal resistor and still didn't have any spark.  Looking into it, it appears at some time someone used a car coil as there is a ballast resistor inline between the key and coil.  I removed the resistor and will try a spare coil that I have which has an internal resistor.  Hopefully this will get me some spark.  I might order a condenser and points as well just to play it safe. 

The rest of the tractor is pretty decent though needs to be cleaned up.  The steering bridge is cracked and will either need to be welded or replaced.  Anyone know if a bridge from the twin cylinder large frames will work?  They are a different part number but not sure how they differ.  It'll get a different steering wheel and seat of course.   I can't find anything out on the name that's on the cast iron seat.  I think it may be a repop unit.  Most of the vintage seats that I found like that are stamped steel, not cast. I have an extra seat pan for a 1250 but need a cover.  I have that brown seat that came with it as well. 

Minimum plans are to get it running and operable.  It would be nice to have it take over winter duty so my other 1250 can get cleaned up again and stay looking sharp.  My other 1250 was my grandfathers which he bought new, so it has some sentimental value to me. 

I'll keep the post updated as I go along with it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1250 01.jpg
  • 1250 02.jpg
  • 1250 03.jpg
  • 1250 04.jpg
  • 1250 06.jpg
  • 1250 07.jpg
  • 1250 08.jpg
  • 1250 09.jpg
  • 1250 10.jpg
  • 1250 11.jpg

Edited by nyrobbie77, December 05, 2016 - 11:25 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, CRFarnsworth, Traill95 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,780 Thanks
  • 2,027 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 10:16 AM

The steering bolster from the HT's will work,the only difference I believe is a bushing where the shaft goes into it,let me pull my books and look,I may have one from an HT if you need one,I also have the correct seat spring if you need that,minus the rollers

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, December 05, 2016 - 10:20 AM.

• nyrobbie77, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#3 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 402 Thanks
  • 190 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 11:06 AM

I used a steering bolster from a HT20 when I rebuilt my 1250.  It is pretty much a direct replacement, with additional webs in the casting for improved strength.  You will need to add 1" spacers to the mounting bosses for the hood hinge.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• 96 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 11:28 AM

The steering bolster from the HT's will work,the only difference I believe is a bushing where the shaft goes into it,let me pull my books and look,I may have one from an HT if you need one,I also have the correct seat spring if you need that,minus the rollers

Sorry, I meant steering BRIDGE not, bolster.  I edited my post.  the piece that the steering shaft goes through.  Is that the same between the 1250 and HT's?

Attached Thumbnails

• steering support.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• 2,780 Thanks
  • 2,027 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Woops,ment steering bridge
  • nyrobbie77 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• 2,780 Thanks
  • 2,027 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Yep,steering bridge should be fine,just need to look if where the shaft goes in is the same,there might be a bushing difference,I'll look in my book,having a brain fart right now

#7 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• 96 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Got it running tonight. Removed the ballast resistor and coil that was on it. Put a spare coil I had that had an internal resistor and had spark. I sprayed some starting fluid and it started right up.

The PO did drain the tank but smells a little like varnish. Gonna clean the tank before i put fuel in it. Then I can run it and check the hydro out
  • Bolens 1000, fonz3482 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#8 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• 96 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I put some fuel in it tonight. After a little cranking to get the carb filled it fired right up. Ran really well too. Drove it around the driveway and the hydro seems really good. I pulled up to the garage wall and floored it. Spun the rear tires good. Guess the hydro is in good shape.

I am getting smoke out the breather tube though. It came undone from the carb elbow and smokes good. Also can see signs the head gasket is leaking. Can see a little spitting of oil out the gasket. Do you think I can get away with just a new head gasket or am I looking at some blow by? I don't have any smoke out the exhaust that I could tell.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,613 Thanks
  • 17,954 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Check the breather reed out , sometimes they get some dirt under them causing the breaker box to fill and blow oil

• nyrobbie77 and KennyP have said thanks