• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 12:08 AM

hi all, yesterday i brought home a ferris is2000z , boy oh boy does it have a nice ride. it has independent suspension and floats across the yard, just what i was looking for with my bad back, i couldnt help but want to give it a try but to my disappointment it cuts like crap, both sides appear to cut the same height but the middle is 1/2 to 3/4 odf an inch longer and makes it look like crap it has new blades and the deck is a fabricated one so i dought its bent, anyways how do i level out the cutting surface, am i correct in thinking to remove the deck, flip it over and use spacers to raise the blades then use a straight edge and measure down to the cutting edge or is there an easier way thanks john

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,436 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 06:38 AM

I'm sure your deck is way heavier then my friend Ford GT but his was doing something like yours and he found out where the spindle bolted was bent just a little so by the time you factored the blade length it was bad enough he noticed and he used a straight end and played around with washers to make it the same as the others . . Could it be a bent spindle ?  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 06:54 AM

i have no idea, you never know what the po could have done, i have not had a commerical machine like this before so dont know to much. i might of thought there would be a  adjustment as you cant have a crappy cut on a customers lawn,

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 07:47 AM

On my Simplicity Courier (residential brother to the Ferris) there are adjustments to level the deck.  I have to believe commercial mowers have adjustments too.  If you're running nose high that front (center) blade will cut higher than the others.

• Alc said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 07:59 AM

I think Ferris also used fiber disc blade spacers under the blades to help level each one separately, it's been awhile since I worked on the  IS5000 we had at church. We fought ours for awhile until we figured it out. We also lost a bearing, no warning noises, which caused blade to drop giving horrible cut. Seeing how yours is one blade higher though, something isn't adjusted properly.

• Alc said thank you

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,908 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Or the center blade is upside down? Seen it before lol.

Might have bad bearings in center spindle OR someone put bearings in it and installed the spindle down through the top instead of up through the bottom.That would make the middle blade sit a good 1/2"-3/4" higher.

Found a good manual for the ferris is2000z with 48-52" side and rear discharge deck options.Deck parts are on pages 48-61.

http://www.ferrisand...arts-Manual.pdf

Really sounds like someone just installed the spindle wrong.Should be fairly easy to fix but you'll have to pull the top pulley off the spindle and the blade.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 05, 2016 - 01:31 PM.