John deere lx 176

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ohdeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3828
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I have owned my tractor for 15 years. I noticed the mower losing RPM in taller grass last season. I thought it was blades so I put a new pair on. I was mowing yesterday and the tractor lost so much power I barely made it back to the shed. I pumped the foot clutch a few timed for momentum to make it back but it started smoking from the front and eventually died. It appeared seized as when I turned the key, nothing.This all took place within 10 minutes. The next day(today) it cranks but will not start.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 06:38 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk.

Is that a vertical shaft or horizontal?

Also what brand engine?

Was the smoke coming from the belt or engine?

I think I would start with a compression test. Will at least tell you if the valves and piston is doing what it should.

Almost sounds like loss of lubrication.

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 07:36 AM

The LX176 will have a vertical shaft, Kawasaki 14 hp single cylinder engine. It was made from 1991 to 1998. Just taking a guess here, but that engine had the plastic cam gear in it (I believe) - it could be possible it failed. Compression test will tell you a lot. Luckily I have loaded a service manual for this engine and for this tractor.

Here's the engine manual: Kawasaki Engine FC290V/FC400V/FC420V/FC540V - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Here's the tractor manual: LX1XX Series TM1492 Technical Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#4 ohdeere OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 12:40 PM

I stripped the mower down and power washed. I see a plastic fan under the gas tank.Plan on troubleshooting this weekend. I'll start of with a compression test. Thanks for the manuels I'm sure they will help greatly.

#5 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 07:06 PM

My Lx178 was doing that it turned out to be A govener spring adjust ment Kawaski s are tough engines

#6 ohdeere OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 01:36 PM

Did a compression test today there is zero compression. Dose anyone know how involved a rebuild would be?

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:56 AM

I assume that is a single cylinder? If so, a a rebuild is pretty straight forward...the kits can usually be found for around $100 or so. And it is a matter of getting the old out and putting the new in, the latter being the harder usually. The biggest issue is determining if it needs to be machined or not. I don't know how to do that.

#8 nk400 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71152
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for posting the Technical manual.  I'm looking for remove the engine to replace the crankcase gasket and seal.