• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 11:57 PM

Hi All, I was just snooping around on google and saw a mention of rebuilding your electric clutch , and am wondering has anyone done this before? i did not think kits were available but up here in canada we miss out on a lot of stuff and some stuff is not available, and if you have done this do you have a supplier for kits, i have passed on gts because the clutch is bad and the replacement here was $400 add 13% tax and your at $452 more than what i would pay for a non runner/cutter 

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 02:42 AM

Did you search on here? I remember a thread awhile ago where we were talking about the same thing. I think that it was a rebuilder in Massechusetts that offered a rebuilding service. Some of the surplus places offer new clutches at reasonable prices. I'll look and try to add the thread. Good Luck, Rick

• holdenboy1960 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,325 Thanks
  • 1,496 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 12:50 PM

I rebuilt one last summer.  The three metal strips that hold the bottom half to the top half had broken.  I made new ones from a stainless steel pot lid, and machined 6 new brass rivets to hold them in place. Took a couple of hours.  Not rocket surgery.  Wish I'd had time to take pictures.  

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, December 04, 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,757 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 03:45 PM

Was at one time a fella in Wisconsin that was offering repairs for the PK guys on Yahoo groups. I see his name around sometimes, not as much. Maybe can ask on the forum there?  Biggest issue on these is the windings and wires breaking off from same.  Mechanicals not that bad to fix/replace, but windings bad is worst part and that is where the big costs come in.  I think would need special machines for doing that work, not a hands-on type of repair that I can see.