107 replies to this topic

#1 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 575 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 12:54 PM

It will probably take me all winter and then some. It does run and the rear rim/wheels are not in to bad of condition. I can still see some of the original green paint around the motor near the base.

Attached Thumbnails

• Next project 001.JPG
  • Next project 005.JPG
  • Next project 004.JPG
  • Next project 002.JPG
  • Next project 006.JPG
  • Next project 007.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 437 Thanks
  • 442 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Nice that should be a fun winter project. Love that lift you have, I need to find something like that.
  • Deerlope said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 5,471 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 03:09 PM

Gotta love those ridemasters!  This will be a good one to follow!   

Did I ever get the serial number off this one?

I don't know how any one could move the tool bar with two lift springs on it and only cultivators hanging off did you get anthing else to go on it?

If you need any info feel free to ask me!

• Bolens 1000 and Deerlope have said thanks

#4 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 575 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 04:04 PM

There is another post in here somewhere with pics that shows most of what I got and I did send you all that info with the serial number. This one does have the 18" front wheels and I just ordered the right ones from Miller Tire. Surprisingly but the tool bar goes down very easy like it is.

I have a snowplow, land plow, harrows culuviators. I wish I could find the generator for it and the right light.

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,994 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 04:35 PM

I'm sure this will be just as nice as the rest of your projects

#6 Allis Chalmers Tractors ONLINE  

Allis Chalmers Tractors
  • Member No: 84000
  • 72 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 05:08 PM

That one looks like a nice project. Do you guys think the Miller Tire 4.00-18 tires are worth it? Has anyone ever found an original headlight for one or found signs of a headlight on those tractors.

Edited by Allis Chalmers Tractors, December 03, 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 575 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 06:29 PM

That one looks like a nice project. Do you guys think the Miller Tire 4.00-18 tires are worth it? Has anyone ever found an original headlight for one or found signs of a headlight on those tractors.

A man that goes by JD crawler has one with a head light on it and it is original equipment, so is the generator that he has on it. I have had this unit for over and year and I have reached it to the best of my ability. When your hobby is Bolens tractors and restoring them sometimes we pay more for parts than we should. I don't go into these restores light hearted and I don't do them to resell and make a profit. I liked the engineering that went into all Bolens up to about the 70's , they are top notch.

• jdcrawler and Allis Chalmers Tractors have said thanks

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 5,471 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Yes I have seen lights kits for these I know of some one that had like 2.half new sets.   

A man that goes by JD crawler has one with a head light on it and it is original equipment, so is the generator that he has on it. I have had this unit for over and year and I have reached it to the best of my ability. When your hobby is Bolens tractors and restoring them sometimes we pay more for parts than we should. I don't go into these restores light hearted and I don't do them to resell and make a profit. I liked the engineering that went into all Bolens up to about the 70's , they are top notch.

Rays setup is not a factory set up the only part that is like factory is the generator.  

• Bolens 1000, Deerlope, jdcrawler and 1 other said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,687 Thanks
  • 2,065 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:15 PM

That does look like a great project for the winter. Like you said,you can't go into these projects light hearted. These old machines deserve a proper restoration in my opinion. It may take more time and some bucks, but you can't beat the end results. I was looking for a Wisconsin AKN for Gard'n Mast'r JR, and ended up buying a Baird Beaver tractor from Peter Zander. The tractor looks rough, but it's restorable, so the AKN will stay with it. Eventually these project tractors will disappear, so saving any of them is worth while. Have fun with the project, and looking forward to seeing the restoration in progress.

#10 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 575 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:40 PM

First off I need to build something the will support it and keep it from tipping over, which almost happened today as I was putting it on the lift. Every piece of metal including those heavy spring will get sand blasted to bare metal. Then I will be able to see just what I have. The rear rims have several coats of paint on them so no telling how much metal is left. The engine need a few gaskets and crank seals. I did have it running a year ago when I got it home.

• classic said thank you

#11 Allis Chalmers Tractors ONLINE  

Allis Chalmers Tractors
  • Member No: 84000
  • 72 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I plan to restore my Ridemaster in the future, but right now it needs some tires before I can use the attachments I have for it. So I think I should buy the original style tires so that when I do restore it it will look better then dirt bike tires or whatever cheap 4.00-18 tires I can find.

Edited by Allis Chalmers Tractors, December 03, 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,687 Thanks
  • 2,065 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:05 PM

I'm guessing that's an AKN engine, right? I got the AKN running on the Beaver tractor and it sounded good. I plan on rebuilding it, so I tore it down and took some measurements. The bore is worn .005 oversize, so I'm installing a .010 piston assembly. There is almost .010 clearance between the crank journal and rod, and I can't believe the engine didn't knock. The early connecting rods seem to break easier than the rods that superceded them. The old number for the rod is DA55B and the later number for the rod is DA70A. I was also told that the DA70B rod is correct for an AKN. Most of my experience is with the older Briggs cast iron engines, and Wisconsin engines are fairly new to me. I've seen two AKN engines with large holes in the blocks from a thrown rod. It wouldn't hurt to pop the piston out and measure the crank and rod.

#13 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 575 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I'm guessing that's an AKN engine, right? I got the AKN running on the Beaver tractor and it sounded good. I plan on rebuilding it, so I tore it down and took some measurements. The bore is worn .005 oversize, so I'm installing a .010 piston assembly. There is almost .010 clearance between the crank journal and rod, and I can't believe the engine didn't knock. The early connecting rods seem to break easier than the rods that superceded them. The old number for the rod is DA55B and the later number for the rod is DA70A. I was also told that the DA70B rod is correct for an AKN. Most of my experience is with the older Briggs cast iron engines, and Wisconsin engines are fairly new to me. I've seen two AKN engines with large holes in the blocks from a thrown rod. It wouldn't hurt to pop the piston out and measure the crank and rod.

Thanks for the advice. I will not do the engine myself as I don't process that knowledge to do so. I will have a NAPA shop do it for me . This shop has done 1-- S12D and 2-- S14D,  They were pricey but there is nothing like hearing a single cyl  Wis running.

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,687 Thanks
  • 2,065 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 12:00 AM

You're welcome. Engine work can be intimidating if you haven't tried it. It does take a bit of an investment in tools to rebuild engines yourself, but for most it isn't worth it. It's rewarding to fire an engine up after a complete overhaul, though! Wisconsin engines were the best built engines as far as I'm concerned, and they run very smoothly for a single cylinder engine. Our local NAPA store sold off it's small engine equipment years ago, and nobody locally does any engine machining work. It's a bit of a drag.

#15 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 47 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 06:52 AM

I know I'm "hijacking" the topic, however, I have an 1477 Bolens with a S14D Wisconsin that was running and now won't - it has spark and fuel, I bought a new coil, wire and plug and still nothing - there is a problem with the compression release but I'm thinking there's some kind of timing issue 

any thoughts since you think the Wisconsin are the best - when it was running, it was great, now.....