Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,915 Thanks
  • 4,821 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 07:41 PM

As I get older I have real trouble seeing things that aren't in direct sunlight or at least right under a very bright bulb.   Yesterday I was in Orscheln's Farm and Home store and saw these.  Maybe HF has the same thing?  It is a cheap import but for $2.99 I thought I'd take a chance. 

WHOLLY CRAP I CAN SEE again!  Even came with batteries.  Has 3 settings, bright, dim, and flashing.  Not much to look at but handy as heck.

I call it my "birth control light"  Those of you that had the gubbernment issued eye glasses in basic training know what I'm talkin 'bout.  :smilewink:

You can't imagine how many flashlights I have sitting around yet I can never find them when I need them.  This thing mounts out of the way and when I need it I can just reach up and hit the switch.

I'm getting more when I go back.

light.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, December 02, 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,450 Thanks
  • 1,166 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 08:00 PM

I picked up a small flashlight, Two aa batteries led, fits well in the pocket. It's plenty bright, batteries last 6 to 8 months. Been worth every nickel. Don

• Gtractor, Cat385B, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 190 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I got my headlight about 3 weeks ago.  Led with rechargeable Lith. batteries.  I like the chargeable type.   So much better than any other type of work lights.  About $18 on Amazon.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,154 Thanks
  • 8,874 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 11:31 PM

The free LED lights from HF are great. I always carry one. They used to have a small light that attached under the bill of a hat. Very handy.

The glasses coment got me laughing. My civilian glasses were stolen during boot camp. I was blind for a couple of weeks. I once saluted a SP4 because the shiny emblem in the front of his hat made me think that he was a LTC. The guy just cracked up and swore at me. Then they gave me those black framed "Buddy Holly" glasses. I could see but I had to put blousing elastics around my head to keep them from falling off. Later adjustments helped.

I'm glad that the light is helping you but I'm concerned that you may need to see an opthomologist. The VA just sent me new glasses. Call for an appointment. Also update your info. I updated mine and it ended up saving on the copay. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 02, 2016 - 11:32 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:06 AM

Those really help in darker spots. I dislike one thing about them. The whole three settings thing. And who the heck wants a strobe?
Turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off.
Whew.

If you on/off and open batt dor for a sec, it resets to first click.
I may mod mine with a momentary.
  • Gtractor, KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,399 Thanks
  • 44,920 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Have one of those and does work well when you need both hands free. Don't understand the strobe feature either.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I got my headlight about 3 weeks ago. Led with rechargeable Lith. batteries. I like the chargeable type. So much better than any other type of work lights. About $18 on Amazon.

I bought a couple of these myself for work. I'm required to wear a hardhat, so in order to get these to fit, I had to cut off the center strap. These things work great even in extreme conditions at the mill, but I do recommend extra batteries to swap out. While they work great, they are power hungry.https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B00JWPHNVI

Attached Thumbnails

• 51AdGYseU9L._SY400_.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, December 03, 2016 - 08:21 AM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,113 Thanks
  • 6,229 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm glad that the light is helping you but I'm concerned that you may need to see an opthomologist. The VA just sent me new glasses. Call for an appointment. Also update your info. I updated mine and it ended up saving on the copay. Good Luck, Rick

Kris, didn't you have another post about putting up some real bright lights over you work bench so you could see?  Like boyscout said, get your VA info updated, fill our the hardship form on the VA web site and if approved no cost for visits.  Still have the med co-pay but saves a bunch.  Better do it before your CDL comes up for renewal or you may not get it.  Congress gave us that benefit so by gosh use it.

As for those lights - when I put the basement under the home we had to add a main junction splitter box as the regular breaker box was not big enough to handle the addition of the basement.  The electrician wore one while he did all the win connections in the box and loaned me one while I hooked up the main into the new breaker box for the basement.  They really work great.  About all the tire changers at the NASCAR, ARCA, Truck + several others were them for night races so they can see the lug nuts.  Theirs are built into their helmet but same principal.  Thanks for the tip Kris.  Don't have the vision problem in general but there are time we just need a little more light.

Edited by chieffan, December 03, 2016 - 08:29 AM.

• Gtractor, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,185 Thanks
  • 1,350 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:40 AM

I have seen those headlights screwed to welding shields.. They are common gear for people camping along the shores of the lakes/rivers.

Edited by Jazz, December 03, 2016 - 08:41 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,915 Thanks
  • 4,821 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 09:22 AM

Thanx guys!

I'm not a veteran but have an ex-bil that was in Basic @ Great Lakes Naval on the north side of Chicago in '91or '92 and he had to wear those "birth control glasses".  That's how I know about them.

I can see pretty good if there is abundant light.  Even still see the faces of ignition points if its bright enough.   

Yes Roger, I put an LED flood lamp above my workbench and its wonderful so long as I'm right there.  There are 7 other buildings that I have garden tractors or other items in, and 6 of them don't have electricity.  This light frees up one hand from holding a light so I can use both hands and I can aim it without having to let go of what I'm holding onto at the moment to adjust the light.  I have had several of those free-be HF LED lights over the past few years and they are great for a while. When they get a little age they start acting like a typical el-cheap-O light and you have to beat on them or shake them to make-em work.   This headlight will probably wind up the same way since it was a cheapie too.  Since in theory, it shouldn't be dropped so much, it might last a lil longer.  ???

I agree on the flashing mode.  Only thing I found it good for so far is annoying the MRS.  :smilewink:  

It'd be a lot handier to have on/off switch. 

Edited by Gtractor, December 03, 2016 - 09:27 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Have one of those and does work well when you need both hands free. Don't understand the strobe feature either.

There are times when Im out in the woodyard running payloaders, and such, and this feature is handy for getting people's attention. This is great if they have thier 2 way radio turned down too low, or to just make others aware of my presence if Im on foot.
  • MH81 said thank you