• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 458 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted November 30, 2016 - 09:26 PM

During the holiday I got a chance clean up the leaves at my moms place. The leaves were put into the garden & plowed in. I gave the Trac Vac 450 a good work out, thank you dodge trucker. I used a Sears Shredder to grind the leaves up finer.

Leaves.JPG   Garden.JPG

SUNP0007.JPG   SUNP0004.JPG

I was not able to get any pictures plowing the garden with my other tractor. The short days it gets dark to early & the next day it was to wet out to try then. After doing some adjustment to the plow & the leaves ground up so fine they sure plowed in easily. 

Charlie

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,898 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted November 30, 2016 - 10:58 PM

I did the same with my leaves.  Started picking up the leaves with my powerflo on my JD 214 with the bags.  After the first time get the leaves off the yard, I made a cage for my cart.  I could only get one pass around the yard with the bags on.  Now with the cart I can get around half of the yard.  Picked up the leaves from the yard 3 or 4 more timeswith the cart.  I shredded the leaves with my WW grinder (chipper/shredder).  I got more leaves from a local lawn mowing service.

He brought a 18' trailer full of leaves.  Shredded all of the leaves that he brought me.  I had shredded 10 pickup loads of sheep manure, that had been setting for one month or two.  That got put over the leaves.  Used my JD 110 with a front end loader to put the sheep manure on the garden.  Then I plowed the garden and tilled it twice.  My main garden is 65 by 65 feet.  The garden is ready for next year.

• Alc, KennyP, Delmar and 3 others have said thanks

#3 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 724 Thanks
  • 598 posts

Posted December 01, 2016 - 08:21 PM

My Simplicity chipper/shredder reduces leaves about 20 to 1. I just mulch my leaves with the mowers.

• Delmar and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,565 Thanks
  • 2,571 posts

Posted December 01, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I got a good deal on a barely used 48" Agri-fab lawn sweeper. I got some seat time today and put it to use picking up leaves. I will use my JD 318 to chew the leaves up for my garden....I have gator blades on the mower deck. They do a great job chopping those leaves!
  • lyall, Sawdust and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#5 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 458 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 08:49 PM

The Trac Vac 450 does fill quickly depending on the pile of leaves, but the movability with attach to the tractor is great. It is on casters & mounts more rigid to the back of the tractor so going forward or backing up it stays in place. Unloading into the shredder works good & the shredder turns most everything to almost to a powder. I am sure it was some safety issues the reason they do not make this type of shredder any more. If you pay attention to what you are doing & use a push stick to move stuff around when it is not sliding in it makes a good shredder.

Charlie

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,561 Thanks
  • 4,691 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Looks good. Dad had a shredder like that, worked excellent. Wish my leaves were in the garden already. Been busy on the honeydo list.
  • FixItCharlie said thank you

#7 velliusa OFFLINE  

velliusa
  • Member No: 85556
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 02, 2017 - 09:59 PM

My father used to use this shredder before. It works well.