got a gilson 16hp looking where to get parts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3814
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hi just new to the sight. I got this 1976 gilson 16 hp engine briggs & stratton the stater is in need of brushes and i am looking for any info on the trator Thank you.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Does this have the Delco starter/generator? Rebuild kits are on ebay all the time. http://www.psep.biz/ ---This place carries some of the engine parts.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Ok, I think I am crosseyes cause I thanked instead of replying but oh well. I have one, and wish I didn't. I replaced the starter, some wiring, and the battery and it starts hard anyway. So I just don't like it, If you want the details I have posted it in other Gilson threads, and could repost here if need be later, cause I don't have time to type much more right now. Good luck, I hope you do well with it.

#4 Romeo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3814
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the help on the starter now I am having problems with the carb, it seems to be leaking into the intake just had it rebuilt so it is all new now does the float have to be brass or will a plastic one work? I have the plastic one in. Thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 03:29 PM

The plastic float will work. Did you set the float level correctly? Sounds like the float is too full or one of the mixture screws are way too rich if it is leaking gas out of the intake side of the carb. I would venture to say it has to do with the float height.

Also make sure there is no junk keeping the needle from seating.

#6 RustyTub OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 02:18 PM

As for the carb leaking fuel I had to surface my carb half so they would seal properly with the gasket. I too used the plastic float and set at what my local small engine shop said. I cant remember off hand the measurement. I did have to surface my needle and seat to get them to seal up. I just used a small amount of valve grinding compound and lightly turned it by hand. since then no more leaking fuel.

As for the starter, I had mine check out by a local rotating electical shop. he cleaned it up checked it out gave a good bill of health. When I installed it I used heavy automotive ground and power cable from my battery and cleaned all my connections, I am also using a 440CCA battery. My Wards starts great every time even if it is the first start of the day. Or when I am doing things I have no worries shutting it down for 5 min then restarting cause it is one of the finest starting machines I have ever owned.

So I would say to you take the starter generator into a local rotating electrical shop, hopefully you have a local one that is a good shop.