• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • Member No: 55570
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted March 06, 2017 - 05:13 PM

I did not see any pictures of the starter area. I have those parts . They were hard to find until I new what I was looking for. The only year that starter was used was in 1959. It was the only year that starter was used on the Suburban. The manual does not show the correct parts that you need. It shows a spring. instead of two pulley's.  

So if yours is a 1961 Your tractor was more than likly a pull start tractor with a electric start kit available for pull start tractors. That style starter will not turn the motor without having the release lever for the belt. I know first hand. I cannot tell by your pics if it is there. 

I can ask my son to CNC the parts you need but you first have to find a starter.  That motor with that starter was used on other equipment. Just a different style pully set up.

On the last two pics of the variable pully you can see the difference in the two Pull start verse electric. The page shows you the operation.   1959 only and the tractors were red under the gold which made them look copper compaired to others. The pull starts were green under the gold.  This is 59 I am not sure of other years . But yours looks green. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1563.jpg
  • DSCN1564.jpg
  • DSCN1568.jpg
  • DSCN1569.jpg
  • DSCN1572.jpg
  • DSCN1575.jpg
  • DSCN1576.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg

• Zekkjacen and MyTractorsSexy have said thanks

#17 MyTractorsSexy OFFLINE  

MyTractorsSexy
  • Member No: 85341
  • 11 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 12:06 PM

I did not see any pictures of the starter area. I have those parts . They were hard to find until I new what I was looking for. The only year that starter was used was in 1959. It was the only year that starter was used on the Suburban. The manual does not show the correct parts that you need. It shows a spring. instead of two pulley's.  

So if yours is a 1961 Your tractor was more than likly a pull start tractor with a electric start kit available for pull start tractors. That style starter will not turn the motor without having the release lever for the belt. I know first hand. I cannot tell by your pics if it is there. 

I can ask my son to CNC the parts you need but you first have to find a starter.  That motor with that starter was used on other equipment. Just a different style pully set up.

On the last two pics of the variable pully you can see the difference in the two Pull start verse electric. The page shows you the operation.   1959 only and the tractors were red under the gold which made them look copper compaired to others. The pull starts were green under the gold.  This is 59 I am not sure of other years . But yours looks green. 

oldmanmopar-

Thanks for your response.  You look to be an expert on this model and starter situation.

Yes, my tractor is gold over green.

It also has the belt release on the drive belt as you pictured.  Same as yours.

It has the generator light on the dash as well.

As well as the battery box, starter button, wiring, starter belt guard, and engine pulley.

A previous owner removed the starter, the two idler pulleys, and the centrifugal starter pulley.

I found a starter that I believe will work.  Case is the same size, I think the shaft may be larger diameter though?  Maybe not?

I do need the two idler pulleys as well as the centrifugal pulley for the starter.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

I'd like to get this tractor 100% operable.

I know the starter was used on other equipment in that time frame, but have found no cross reference material on what?

Do you have any info on what other equipment used that starter?

I saw a picture on-line of an antiqe Briggs motor with the same starter, I think on a push mower?

Thanks again!

• Zekkjacen said thank you

#18 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 05:25 PM

oldmanmopar-

Thanks for your response.  You look to be an expert on this model and starter situation.

Yes, my tractor is gold over green.

It also has the belt release on the drive belt as you pictured.  Same as yours.

It has the generator light on the dash as well.

As well as the battery box, starter button, wiring, starter belt guard, and engine pulley.

A previous owner removed the starter, the two idler pulleys, and the centrifugal starter pulley.

I found a starter that I believe will work.  Case is the same size, I think the shaft may be larger diameter though?  Maybe not?

I do need the two idler pulleys as well as the centrifugal pulley for the starter.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

I'd like to get this tractor 100% operable.

I know the starter was used on other equipment in that time frame, but have found no cross reference material on what?

Do you have any info on what other equipment used that starter?

I saw a picture on-line of an antiqe Briggs motor with the same starter, I think on a push mower?

Thanks again!

I brought this one home this morning. I just woke up after a 14 hr. ride. I did not pull the cover off yet. I will look what is in there tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

• 00R0R_8ieWAm83p7I_600x450.jpg

• MyTractorsSexy said thank you

#19 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 12:04 PM

Well I was looking at the tractor. This tractor has a 1959 starter system. Who ever owned it was working on the starter thinking it was a Starter/Generator.  They were trying to get it to charge the battery. They mounted a Voltage guage, regulator, key switch, and wired the tractor. They must have found out after taking the starter to a shop that it will never be a generator. And that is where the project ended and I have it now.

It came with the fenders, 3 point, Disc, and plow. It is a parts tractor only because I have need for some of the parts. I am Planning to finish the two I started and sell them and all the parts.

#20 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,429 Thanks
  • 687 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 07:38 PM

Are you selling the fenders? I've been looking for some.

#21 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 05:22 PM

Are you selling the fenders? I've been looking for some.

not at this time

#22 MyTractorsSexy OFFLINE  

MyTractorsSexy
  • Member No: 85341
  • 11 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 08:38 AM

I brought this one home this morning. I just woke up after a 14 hr. ride. I did not pull the cover off yet. I will look what is in there tomorrow

I'd loved to buy the starter system from you since it's a parts tractor.  Will send you a pm.

#23 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

oldmanmopar
  • 123 Thanks
  • 81 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 09:08 AM

I am not selling parts until I finish my two 59's.  when I buy a tractor I take it apart and clean every part. I use a glass bead cabinet , sonic tank cleaner or sand blast heavy rust outside. I have many parts like new I will sell when mine are done or if I know I do not need them early in the build.

I pick the parts that have less corrosion. My tractors will be painted and cleared piece by piece and assembled.  I am going for a show room over restored look.

I also have that 34 standard twin tractor I bought from a member I am going to totally redo as a rider that can be driven . I will stretch it and put the seat on the tractor insted of behind it. I have been buying all the standards I can find. I have one that is like new for the engine and large iron wheels. Can't wait to start on that so I have to get these DB's done

Attached Thumbnails

• Best (1).JPG
  • DSCN1854.jpg
  • 00w0w_9XH2XlVtDt5_600x450.jpg

#24 Waltery OFFLINE  

Waltery
  • Member No: 87354
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 02:16 PM

I have DBs. One is a 61, 91760617, which I am doing a complete restoration on. The other I believe is a 63, 91760629 which I bought for parts, although it was driven in a local parade right before I bought it.

The 61" was an original purchase by my wife's grandfather. I am looking for parts for the 61 and would be willing also to part out the 63.

I would be interested in anyone that has any leads on parts for the 61.

#25 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 123 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 07, 2017 - 09:39 AM

A lot of good, but some mis information here. The starter system IS NOT only 59. I have a 614 with the same style, and also have a blue DB 5.75 engine with the same setup I bought off Ebay to get the missing parts I needed, but no clue what tractor it came from. The electric start tractors DID have a charging system, but it was on the engine, and that is why the 616 has a charging light on the dash. The lever mentioned is just as the manual shows, for COLD WEATHER starting, and a good starter will turn over without using the lever. It took me 4 motors before I was able to make a good complete one. It is under sized and a poor design, but did work when new.

• MyTractorsSexy said thank you