#1 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 336 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 10:53 PM

Hey guys,
Getting my ht20 ready for another heavy winter season. I al looking to upgrade my stacks. I bought the tractor without a manifold and a dual stack system, which looks and sounds pretty great. But with my 15 month old son loving my tractors and seat time as much as me, I would like to quit it up a bit. I am going to put some Stanley IH-1 mufflers on it, and would like to make some brackets for added support. I have a good idea of what I would like to do, but some pictures and ideas from your set ups would be great before I start the project.

Thanks!

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,040 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 11:49 PM

Every time I see straight pipes on a mower i think about my Honda 90 I had at 16. I think it was a 1964 model. The muffler came off fairly quickly. The resulting straight pipe was loud. In order to keep the police happy I bought a baffle which worked very well. It consisted of a washer that just fit inside the pipe with a small bolt welded to the edge. A hole was drilled in the side of the pipe about 3" from the end, the washer went in to the end of the pipe and the bolt stuck out the hole. Now is where memory begins to fail. It had a piece curved to match the outside of the pipe then a spring then a knurled nut to tighten the spring. With this setup the washer could be turned parallel to the pipe or transverse. when it was parallel it was a straight pipe, when transverse it was amazingly quiet. the spring allowed the washer to move  enough to prevent back pressure building Of course the harder you pushed it the louder it got. Don   

• AA Hayes said thank you

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,839 Thanks
  • 1,154 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 12:06 AM

Every time I see straight pipes on a mower i think about my Honda 90 I had at 16. I think it was a 1964 model. The muffler came off fairly quickly. The resulting straight pipe was loud. In order to keep the police happy I bought a baffle which worked very well. It consisted of a washer that just fit inside the pipe with a small bolt welded to the edge. A hole was drilled in the side of the pipe about 3" from the end, the washer went in to the end of the pipe and the bolt stuck out the hole. Now is where memory begins to fail. It had a piece curved to match the outside of the pipe then a spring then a knurled nut to tighten the spring. With this setup the washer could be turned parallel to the pipe or transverse. when it was parallel it was a straight pipe, when transverse it was amazingly quiet. the spring allowed the washer to move  enough to prevent back pressure building Of course the harder you pushed it the louder it got. Don   

We called them snuffers    Had some on my Honda 305 scrambler in 1966 and they did help keep the cops off my back.

Google snuff or not baffles , and you will find info on how to make them.

Edited by Bill 76, November 27, 2016 - 12:17 AM.

• Alc and secondtry have said thanks

#4 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,040 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 01:13 AM

We called them snuffers    Had some on my Honda 305 scrambler in 1966 and they did help keep the cops off my back.

Google snuff or not baffles , and you will find info on how to make them.

Yep those are what I had, But in the Utube video the guy shows the hole going through both sides of the pipe. The original was only held on one end of the washer.  Don

• Bill 76 said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,103 Thanks
  • 44,122 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 06:04 AM

Here's how I braced the stack on my M18. I'm using a single IH 1 muffler.

2015-09-12 13.00.21.jpg

• ducky, Traill95 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#6 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 336 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Here's how I braced the stack on my M18. I'm using a single IH 1 muffler.

How do you like the IH-1?
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,103 Thanks
  • 44,122 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 07:28 AM

How do you like the IH-1?

Sounds great as a single. I made my manifold from a motorcycle header, perfect ID for the cast iron.

2015-09-12 11.33.13.jpg

• Traill95, BowDown and AA Hayes have said thanks

#8 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 336 Thanks
  • 293 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 01:32 PM

Sounds great as a single. I made my manifold from a motorcycle header, perfect ID for the cast iron.

Nice looking fab job.
  • KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ht20, k532