• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • Member No: 36604
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 07:09 PM

Ok, model #917.288613...I have inspected everything with the steering linkages in the diagram and I can't find anything with excess play EXCEPT...the pivot bolts in the steering (number 82 in the parts diagram) have a little play. My question is: Do they originally have some play built in or is it supposed to be a tight fight with no side to side?

I am trying to trouble shoot why my tractor is toe out on the front and when you travel in reverse, you can actually see the tires appear to be aligned correctly...penny for anyone's thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1052.PNG

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,181 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 12:51 AM

Have you lifted the front of the tractor and checked for play where the spindle goes through the axle weldment. I would think part# 82 would have to be obviously defective to cause a problem. The spindle can be held in place by the tractors weight and appear to be good when it is actually in terrible shape. Don

• MH81 and Puttinalong have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Added a pic of the parts.
I agree that you may need to get under it to find the issue.
The plastic bushings are an issue, but that wouldn't cause the problem to change in reverse.

I'd look at 86 very carefully if the wear is there.
Bushing tube will be thin and just steel.
  • Puttinalong said thank you

#4 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Have you lifted the front of the tractor and checked for play where the spindle goes through the axle weldment. I would think part# 82 would have to be obviously defective to cause a problem. The spindle can be held in place by the tractors weight and appear to be good when it is actually in terrible shape. Don

I have lifted the front and realized it is play in this area, I just didn't know if a little play was factored in.  The pivot plate itself does have some play in it, I think I might just replace both pivot bolts and pivot plate bolts.  I went back out last night and pulled the pivot bolt out of the right side and noticed that there was wear (silver showing vs. black still on the bolt in the middle of the shaft).  The axle itself seems to be solid and no "slop" in it.  I did replace the #67 (2 total) a few months ago because the axle did have excess play due to one of the bushings being broken.  Thank you for your time.

#5 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Added a pic of the parts.
I agree that you may need to get under it to find the issue.
The plastic bushings are an issue, but that wouldn't cause the problem to change in reverse.

I'd look at 86 very carefully if the wear is there.
Bushing tube will be thin and just steel.

Thank you for posting the diagram.  The plastic bushing you are talking about....I didn't see a plastic bushing, should there be one in the pivot plate area that I am overlooking?  I did not see one on the diagram...or are you talking about #122 where it meets in the steering plate?

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Parts number 21 and 60, I think.
  • Puttinalong said thank you

#7 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Well folks, I did my best to analyze parts for about 2 hours (I am not the swiftest boat in the water but I eventually get there).  My conclusion has come to pinpoint my problem to the right pivot plate and pivot bolt so I ordered those parts and two new thrust washers.  I will install them when they come in and report back so that if someone else is having a problem like this, they can hopefully use my solution/ or lack thereof as a learning point...Thanks again...to be continued  :tapping_fingers:

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#8 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 03, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Well replaced pivot bolt and pivot plate, tightened up the front alignment just a bit but not like it should be...I think the only thing left for me to do and probably what I should have done from the get go is to buy the adjustable drag links I have been reading about for others encountering the same problem...Never thought much of the "tight turn" technology and this just shores up my belief.  Thank you guys for your input.